Wiki Posts
Search

2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
Not bad for everyone

Originally Posted by mattsteg
Keeping the mqms may help them retain customers for cheaper flights (which they certainly need to sell) rather than only booking expensive tickets. I have no doubt that they're considering such things, but they may see value in incentivising cost and quantity of travel separately. Otherwise maybe they lose your transcons and then even some of your shorthaul? There may be value to them in keeping you away from competitor's planes and they may see this as a way to do so more cheaply.
Conversely, NE business travelers like me who mostly fly between 300-700 miles domestically or in full-fare J internationally appear to be the big winners in this scheme.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by timetosave
But on a positive note the miles I have been saving for years might now become easier to use? I assume a mile before 2015 and a mile earned after 2015 is still a redeemable mile. Keeping my fingers crossed that more low award seat availability and one way awards may make my miles more usable!
I wouldn't bank on that. In a revenue based redemption system...yes, you can benefit by redeeming your miles for a $49 sale fare at reduced levels but if you are looking at expensive fares, expect to use WAAAAY more miles. Even a $500 one way could be upwards of 50,000 miles if miles are valued at .01. I doubt the value will be any more than .02. Now figure out how many miles are needed for a $10,000 business class ticket--- not even within the realm of possibility for most Skywards members.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Well, I should reach million miler quicker

I buy mostly last minute refundable tickets, so Y or B fare

I spent $36,200 last year and received 85,000 mqm and 107,000 miles

I guess the changes wouldn't affect my MQM and I would still be PM, but I would have received at a minimum 250,000 miles

Or I could be reading it very wrong early in the morning and I am all screwed up....now if we wait until 2016 and GM, PM, DM will be tied 100% to spend
No you won't, the way MQMs are earned isn't changing.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rylan
Oh other thing... the revenue based earning excludes govt taxes and fees, so you only earn like you do for MQDs... which means for intl travel its even less than the total ticket cost.

What do you want to bet that partner airline earning rates will be horrid as well? "Flights marketed and ticketed by Delta’s partner airlines will earn mileage based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the fare class paid."

Earning rate for bulk/discounted/consolidator/group tickets is posted. Note none of these earn MQDs as of 2015 (and DL Vacations is in this group as well). http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ial-fares.html

Also note there is a mileage earning cap of 75,000 per ticket. So for those pax that purchase a $10k intl J ticket, no earning 100k+ miles for you.
Wow, so if you are a DM and you spend above $6818 on a ticket, the dollars you spend above $6818 get you NOTHING ($6818x11=75K). Way to reward your best flyers! Some TPAC J fares are double that!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:54 am

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Wow. Based in my calcs as a diamond I would see a ~40% decrease in miles earned for last year. I have been a diamond since the first year but since I live in Chicago might be time to try United.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:56 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Agree with everyone who has said they want to see the redemption charts. If it was a good news story they would have shared it. Trouble is afoot.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rylan
Anyone been playing around with the mileage earning comparison tool on the DL website? Almost every flight I take would be earning less (sometimes substantially less) than currently.

Of course without knowing the new award charts and availability its hard to say how it works out, but its safe to assume this change will be in favor of the 'house'.
Yes. On my typical routes, my earnings will be cut in HALF. This penalizes DL customers who fly long distances. Every flight I take is minimum 7500 miles each way. DL has just told its overseas customers to Golf Foxtrot Yankee.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jay00848
...I have been a diamond since the first year but since I live in Chicago might be time to try United.
I suspect one of the reasons why DL announces this change early is to see if other legacy carriers, UA/AA etc, will match. Will be interesting for the next few months.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:58 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by HongKonger
It only increases their value if award tickets cost less. Do you see that happening?
I think they mean it increases the value of the existing miles in your account because earning the equivalent number under the new program will be far more expensive/difficult.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Also I get miles are a liability for them, but what are they doing to address the stack of miles given at random with very little justification.

A few weeks ago when Atlanta was impacted by the snow, I had a flight cancel out. It was weather related and there's nothing Delta could have done, however, a few days later I received an unsolicited email letting me know they would be depositing 25,000 miles to my account. I certainly wasn't going to turn them down but this sure seems like a fast way to devalue miles.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Agree with everyone who has said they want to see the redemption charts. If it was a good news story they would have shared it. Trouble is afoot.
I'll offer odds that the lowest level is higher than it is now at least for some regions. Or maybe it will even be FBATR--there's no reason they can't introduce that now. They say the new charts will be ready in Q4--anyone want to bet they're waiting for people to requalify so they can then dump FBATR on us? LMAO
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wow, so if you are a DM and you spend above $6818 on a ticket, the dollars you spend above $6818 get you NOTHING ($6818x11=75K). Way to reward your best flyers! Some TPAC J fares are double that!
It's even worse if you're a DM with a DL AmEx card. This is a surprising rule, given the goals of the overall changes. ($5967 = 75,000 miles/13)

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
I'll offer odds that the lowest level is higher than it is now at least for some regions. Or maybe it will even be FBATR--there's no reason they can't introduce that now. They say the new charts will be ready in Q4--anyone want to bet they're waiting for people to requalify so they can then dump FBATR on us? LMAO
For DL the risk of going to FBATR is that the credit card program will really be no more valuable than any of the multitude of credit cards out there. The reason that DL CC is so valuable is that there is an arbitrage opportunity using points for O fares.

Once they do this there's no reason to stay loyal at all...
Suspended

RDM earning bonuses for medallions compared to general members have dropped precipitously for everyone except DM.

One thing that strikes me is how complex the program has become. For FTers who pay close attention that's not a problem but for most people, including business travelers who may be valuable customers but just don't have the time or desire to keep up with it, I don't see how they will ever figure it out. There are going to be a lot of frustrated first-time posters or social media rants in the near future.

Can't wait for the Kool-Aid drinkers to show up in this thread. Actually shouldn't they be drinkers of cosmos made of Gordon's and Kook-Aid?

RIP Skymiles, 1981-2014
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's even worse if you're a DM with a DL AmEx card. This is a surprising rule, given the goals of the overall changes.
Are DL Amex bonuses included in that per-ticket limit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.