Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: RR: A List Preferred. DL, UA, AA: may as well be nothing
Originally Posted by tfc3rid
So wait, MQM earning stays as is but RDMs now earned differently.... Ok... Well then next logical step for 2016 program is all .
That is the next logical step. In fact it would have been better to go all in now and go to a complete revenue based system. Medallion by miles flown AND dollar spend requirements but now miles to redeem is based on dollars spent determined by your medallion level....quick, I need a spreadsheet!
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Well, I should reach million miler quicker

I buy mostly last minute refundable tickets, so Y or B fare

I spent $36,200 last year and received 85,000 mqm and 107,000 miles

I guess the changes would affect my mqm and I would still be PM, but I would have received at a minimum 250,000 miles

Or I could be reading it very wrong early in the morning and I am all screwed up....now if we wait until 2016 and GM, PM, DM will be tied 100% to spend
No, MQMs will be calculated the same as now and MQMs are what you need for MM status.

As a PM, if you spend $40,000 (to pick a round number) on DL fares, you would earn 360,000 or 440,000 redeemable miles, 9X or 11X your spend, depending on whether you have a DL AmEx card.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SLCAMS
That is the next logical step. In fact it would have been better to go all in now and go to a complete revenue based system. Medallion by miles flown AND dollar spend requirements but now miles to redeem is based on dollars spent determined by your medallion level....quick, I need a spreadsheet!
MQMs keep it a frequent flyer program rather than making it just a biggest spender program.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No, MQMs will be calculated the same as now and MQMs are what you need for MM status.

As a PM, if you spend $40,000 (to pick a round number) on DL fares, you would earn 360,000 or 440,000 redeemable miles, 9X or 11X your spend, depending on whether you have a DL AmEx card.
Yeah, I messed up, I meant to say "Wouldn't" affect MQM

I was using 250,000 as a minimum, I realize it may be higher, which is all good for me.

I didn't know million miler was MQM's, that sucks.

I guess I'll have to wait until 2016 when the 100% revenue program goes into effect
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: DL GM, FL A+ Elite, WN A List
Basically, take your MQD and multiply it by the Medallion level and there you go.

However, the redemption charts will have to massively change. A flight of mine last yr ATL to TYO that netted me about 28k RDM in 2013 would net me about 9K RDM in 2015 as GM.

Last edited by tfc3rid; Feb 26, 2014 at 5:24 am
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
2015 SkyMiles Program News from Delta

Too bad I can't use DL Amex for business travel.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by tfc3rid
So wait, MQM earning stays as is but RDMs now earned differently.... Ok... Well then next logical step for 2016 program is all revenue.

For me, make out better on short haulx worse on transcons with LUT fares.
Keeping the mqms may help them retain customers for cheaper flights (which they certainly need to sell) rather than only booking expensive tickets. I have no doubt that they're considering such things, but they may see value in incentivising cost and quantity of travel separately. Otherwise maybe they lose your transcons and then even some of your shorthaul? There may be value to them in keeping you away from competitor's planes and they may see this as a way to do so more cheaply.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
We knew this was coming, but just didn't know how bad or how much of a devaluation it would be. Basically means you don't earn crap for any of those 'cheap' tcon tickets. The fast majority of tickets will be earning substantially less miles. About the only ones that might get more miles are high fare intl BE tickets, and even then its a difficult break-even point.

Oh and call me cynical (I think there is a LOT of evidence to support that) but I'll believe the lower/easier redemption when I see it.

RIP Skymiles
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh other thing... the revenue based earning excludes govt taxes and fees, so you only earn like you do for MQDs... which means for intl travel its even less than the total ticket cost.

What do you want to bet that partner airline earning rates will be horrid as well? "Flights marketed and ticketed by Delta’s partner airlines will earn mileage based on a percentage of the distance flown as determined by the fare class paid."

Earning rate for bulk/discounted/consolidator/group tickets is posted. Note none of these earn MQDs as of 2015 (and DL Vacations is in this group as well). http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ial-fares.html

Also note there is a mileage earning cap of 75,000 per ticket. So for those pax that purchase a $10k intl J ticket, no earning 100k+ miles for you.

Last edited by rylan; Feb 26, 2014 at 5:36 am
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:37 am

I wonder how this will affect the 15k bonuses on the Delta Amex Reserve card. I'm assuming the MQM earnings will remain the same but if a 2015 skymile is essentially worth much less than a 2014 skymile will Delta lower the SM bonuses on the card as well?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Hoo boy. It's no coincidence that I awoke with a start at exactly the same time the first post went up.

Separating this announcement (the timing of which I assume is to insulate themselves from the Jan 1 2015 change date) and the new award chart by such a long time is a recipe for unbridled anxiety and speculation.

I would like to know:

Is the "new award calendar" a front end cosmetic change or are the guts of the system actually changing?

With the significant decrease in RDM earnings on most tickets, it would be nice to have a little information on the magnitude of the award price changes.

It would seem that the next shoe to drop is a WN-like award redemption scheme. With MQDs and fairly rapidly making this announcement, what is the likelihood that fare-based redemptions are coming soon?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:42 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by pwhatl
I wonder how this will affect the 15k bonuses on the Delta Amex Reserve card. I'm assuming the MQM earnings will remain the same but if a 2015 skymile is essentially worth much less than a 2014 skymile will Delta lower the SM bonuses on the card as well?
+1. This too...
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone been playing around with the mileage earning comparison tool on the DL website? Almost every flight I take would be earning less (sometimes substantially less) than currently.

Of course without knowing the new award charts and availability its hard to say how it works out, but its safe to assume this change will be in favor of the 'house'.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by timetosave
But on a positive note the miles I have been saving for years might now become easier to use? I assume a mile before 2015 and a mile earned after 2015 is still a redeemable mile. Keeping my fingers crossed that more low award seat availability and one way awards may make my miles more usable!
Are you joking? Every time they say they will open up more low award seats it doesn't happen. Every time they increase the number of levels it is just a way to charge more, not actually give you more options. I'll believe more low award availability and a fixed award calendar when I see it, not a minute before.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by thepella
Well, the miles value is now way too low (it is pointless to get thousands of miles per flight if then you need a few hudred thousands to buy an award ticket), if this will increase their value it is a positive change, that maybe will drive other redeeming options.
It only increases their value if award tickets cost less. Do you see that happening?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.