Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Platinum Amex annual fee going up to $195 in May; Drops Foreign Transaction Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Platinum Amex annual fee going up to $195 in May; Drops Foreign Transaction Fees

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium

Just caught this in my DL Platinum Amex card statement today:

Annual Membership Fee
We are increasing the annual membership fee for the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from $150 to
$195.00 beginning at your account renewal that occurs on or after May 03, 2014.

The other change is that there will no longer be any foreign transaction fees. For me personally, not sure that's worth $45/year.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Just caught this in my DL Platinum Amex card statement today:

Annual Membership Fee
We are increasing the annual membership fee for the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from $150 to
$195.00 beginning at your account renewal that occurs on or after May 03, 2014.

The other change is that there will no longer be any foreign transaction fees. For me personally, not sure that's worth $45/year.
The FTF is about 3%, so if you don't charge more than $1,500 outside of the USA, it's not worth it for that alone.

Meh. Is the reserve fee going up as well, I wonder?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:55 pm

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
I suppose this was inevitable with the MQDs this year and the Amex Spend waiver. If you don't want to spend the money on the flights, they're going to make you pay more to have the card and hit the spend waiver.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
this is very annoying. I wish that hitting the 25K spend would also trigger a fee waiver. I put a lot of money on this card and it frustrates me to pay a fee. They have me locked in because of the MQD program though...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: Delta PM, AA Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Priority Club Platinum
This is really annoying. Amex Platinum card losses services, now the increase on this card oh wait no it's not an increase we are just paying more to get no international transaction fee's which will be how Amex will rationalize this with everyone. I'm really debating if I keep any Amex cards in the next month but I'm sure Amex is thinking MQD will force us all to keep this card which isn't a good way to think and in the end this will cost Delta too.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:57 pm

If this year is like last I'll have no problem with MQD, but I like having the safety net. Yet another increase, oh joy.

Meanwhile, you have UA offering their elite card that gives lounge access free for the first year. Granted, that's probably what it's worth, but I still like the first year fee waiver.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
If the Platinum was affected, I was worried about the Gold. So I just checked my recent statement from yesterday.

A nice surprise for once. No mention of an annual fee increase. However, the foreign transaction fees are gone from the Gold as well, effective May 1, 2014.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:37 pm

The card descriptions on the AMEX site make mention of the fee going up for the Plat DL AMEX. No mention of fee change for Reserve or Gold as of now.

Also no mention of dropping the FTF, though the terms and conditions are for the existing $150 card I'd imagine.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Is this for just the personal platinum or both personal and business platinum cards? $45 is a big increase.

I really don't care about the Foreign Transaction fee waiver since I have a couple hotel cards with smart chips that don't charge a fee. If they would add a smartchip WITH pin, I would use it overseas.

I wonder if the huge increase in costs to buy MQM's had anything to do with it. $195 is still a good deal for 20K MQM's IMO
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Is this for just the personal platinum or both personal and business platinum cards? $45 is a big increase.

I really don't care about the Foreign Transaction fee waiver since I have a couple hotel cards with smart chips that don't charge a fee. If they would add a smartchip WITH pin, I would use it overseas.

I wonder if the huge increase in costs to buy MQM's had anything to do with it. $195 is still a good deal for 20K MQM's IMO
Broke the news on this yesterday, both consumer and biz going up:

http://boardingarea.com/deltapoints/...year-1may2014/

But on the plus side the FTF is going away as of 1MAY this year!

http://boardingarea.com/deltapoints/...on-fee-waived/

I still think the BOGOF with DL Plat is well worth fee but Reserve is now better value - IMO!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Delta Points
I still think the BOGOF with DL Plat is well worth fee but Reserve is now better value - IMO!
I suppose you mean the Reserve is a better value largely because of the free lounge access. I think the relative value for a Delta Diamond is still going to tilt to the Amex Platinum because Diamonds can already access Skyclubs.

I really loathe Amex, but need it for the Diamond waiver this year. The "no-forex" fee thing can't come soon enough because of my overseas travel.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: SQ
Broke the news on this yesterday, both consumer and biz going up:

http://boardingarea.com/deltapoints/...year-1may2014/

But on the plus side the FTF is going away as of 1MAY this year!

http://boardingarea.com/deltapoints/...on-fee-waived/

The increase in cost offsets the foreign transaction fee disappearing. Do you have affiliate links in those posts?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Do you have affiliate links in those posts?
Sure does
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Perhaps relative to the DL Plat AMEX yes, but the absolute value of the Reserve card remains unchanged, FTF not-withstanding.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I use my DL Plat Amex for US purchases and another card for foreign (this year was planning on using my Barkley Arrival) -- and switching to it once I reach $25K on the Amex. (There is no way I'd reach $50K so no additional benefit)

So I may use my Amex overseas but still switch when I reach $25K -- so it probably ends up the same. Still out the increase, though.

The reserve doesn't really do anything more for me -- don't need lounge access and I guess the extra 5K MQM would be nice but I'd have to spend $30K for it. That $5K has an opportunity cost of $110 towards travel on the Arrival so I don't think it works for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.