Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Platinum Amex annual fee going up to $195 in May; Drops Foreign Transaction Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Platinum Amex annual fee going up to $195 in May; Drops Foreign Transaction Fees

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:45 am

The difference btw Gold and Platnium is worth a lot more than $55/yr, hence the increase. Once they took away the companion cert from Gold this was inevitable.

What's their retention strategy? Other cards I have will usually waive the fee (in the form of a statement credit = the cost of the fee) if I call and threaten to cancel. Will Amex do this?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:34 am

As an EU based DL flyer with a Reserve card this is a huge deal for me. Now I can use my card for my daily expenses here in the EU (before, with the FTF it wasn't worth it). I already had sufficient $ expenses to justify the card, but this will be icing on the cake and I can ditch my EU card (or at least stop worrying about how to maximize EU points cards, which are all basically .... compared to the US cards).

This is great news for me! (but I guess we can start the countdown to the increase of the reserve yearly fee).
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:02 am

As if there weren't enough reasons for me to cancel this card already.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
The reserve doesn't really do anything more for me -- don't need lounge access and I guess the extra 5K MQM would be nice but I'd have to spend $30K for it. That $5K has an opportunity cost of $110 towards travel on the Arrival so I don't think it works for me.
That's how I feel about the reserve card. I get my lounge membership free by being a diamond and stil have a couple years left on my paid membership if I drop to PM

The extra 10K MQM's aren't worth the additional $300 a year. I am better off putting $100K on a business and personal platinium Delta card and even with the increase, it is $390 a year in combined annual fees. Still $60 a year less than just getting a personal reserve card and I'll be getting 40K MQM's instead of 30K.

There is no way I can justify expensing the annual fee on a personal reserve card and a business paltinum or reserve card.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
The FC companion cert (assuming you're able to use it) makes the Reserve card that much more valuable.

The other question would be, since Reserve members can give DL Platinum AMEX cards at no fee to anyone they want on their account, does that stay the same...at $0/year.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
And surely there will be a discount coming on the RESERVE fee because the lounge benefit just got halved? right? <<sarcasm>>
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond/2.2MM
No mention in my January statement

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Just caught this in my DL Platinum Amex card statement today:

Annual Membership Fee
We are increasing the annual membership fee for the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from $150 to
$195.00 beginning at your account renewal that occurs on or after May 03, 2014.

The other change is that there will no longer be any foreign transaction fees. For me personally, not sure that's worth $45/year.
I just re-checked my January (1/17/14) statement, and no mention? Maybe it will be in February?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Just caught this in my DL Platinum Amex card statement today:

Annual Membership Fee
We are increasing the annual membership fee for the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from $150 to
$195.00 beginning at your account renewal that occurs on or after May 03, 2014.

The other change is that there will no longer be any foreign transaction fees. For me personally, not sure that's worth $45/year.

I am quite happy with it. I spend more than 10,000 a year overseas and removing the FTF will be a big plus for me. Kudos Delta and AMEX.^^
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Looks like AMEX also dropped the $55 discount for having a CHARGE CARD. I know many people didn't have this, but I was grandfathered in over the years - looks like AMEX jamming more. (this is for my reserve card, but assume same discount is being removed from PLT)

Ironically it is right above the section telling you starting 5/1 you have to leave your wife behind when you go into the SkyClub

FROM STATEMENT:

Annual Membership Fee
You have been receiving a reduced annual membership fee of $395 on your Delta Reserve Credit Card. This reduced fee was provided to Card Members with a qualifying American Express Charge Card. This reduced fee will no longer be offered. Accordingly, we are increasing the annual membership fee to $450.00 beginning at your account renewal that occurs on or after May 03, 2014.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: United Gold Elite, former multi-year Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Looks like AMEX also dropped the $55 discount for having a CHARGE CARD. I know many people didn't have this, but I was grandfathered in over the years - looks like AMEX jamming more. (this is for my reserve card, but assume same discount is being removed from PLT)

Ironically it is right above the section telling you starting 5/1 you have to leave your wife behind when you go into the SkyClub

FROM STATEMENT:

Annual Membership Fee
You have been receiving a reduced annual membership fee of $395 on your Delta Reserve Credit Card. This reduced fee was provided to Card Members with a qualifying American Express Charge Card. This reduced fee will no longer be offered. Accordingly, we are increasing the annual membership fee to $450.00 beginning at your account renewal that occurs on or after May 03, 2014.
Thanks for this. This was going to be my next question. I too have benefitted from the $55 reduction on the DL Platinum card, bringing the fee the past two years to just $95 for me. That was worthwhile with the companion cert, but if that ends and the fee goes up to $195, suddenly this card really becomes not worthwhile.

I've thought for a long time they should offer 1.5 or 2 miles / dollar instead. That would make me reconsider cancelling. But I doubt they will do that.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by jtrue28
The FC companion cert (assuming you're able to use it) makes the Reserve card that much more valuable.

The other question would be, since Reserve members can give DL Platinum AMEX cards at no fee to anyone they want on their account, does that stay the same...at $0/year.
1) Can the FC companion cert be used to get a free coach companion cert (i.e., the kind you get with the DL Amex Plat)?

2) I didn't know about the free plats for authorized users. So then between the $200 reimbursement for airline expenses and the $100 GE reimbursement (which I realized it's once every five years) the difference in price between the Plat and the Reserve isn't that steep anymore.

Plus in my case given my spending pattern, I'd benefit from additional MQMs.

Will have to look into this further, might end up getting the Reserve.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
According to The Points Guy, Amex cards issued after May 1 will also have EMV/Smartchips to their cards as well. All I have to say is, finally! About time we have some better security on our credit cards. I may actually consider keeping the card with this additional upgrade.

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/02/delt...ng-may-1-2014/
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
1) Can the FC companion cert be used to get a free coach companion cert (i.e., the kind you get with the DL Amex Plat)?

2) I didn't know about the free plats for authorized users. So then between the $200 reimbursement for airline expenses and the $100 GE reimbursement (which I realized it's once every five years) the difference in price between the Plat and the Reserve isn't that steep anymore.

Plus in my case given my spending pattern, I'd benefit from additional MQMs.

Will have to look into this further, might end up getting the Reserve.
Additional cardholders are free for the Platinum Delta Amex too. Only thing is, the additional cardholders don't really get any benefits - no free checked bags, etc. - basically all they can do is earn you miles and count towards your annual spend for the MQM bonuses.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by BG-777Flyer
According to The Points Guy, Amex cards issued after May 1 will also have EMV/Smartchips to their cards as well. All I have to say is, finally! About time we have some better security on our credit cards. I may actually consider keeping the card with this additional upgrade.

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/02/delt...ng-may-1-2014/
The smart chips are only really good in other countries. It doesn't appear these will have pin based smart chips either. If they had the pin technology for overseas that would be great.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
The smart chips are only really good in other countries. It doesn't appear these will have pin based smart chips either. If they had the pin technology for overseas that would be great.
It seems they will be chip and signature, like the other Amex cards to date. About time the DL card gets the chip, it's one of the few Amex cards left that doesn't have one.

I agree it's not terribly useful in the US, either, and certainly not an upgrade that changes the calculus of whether it's worth keeping the card or not. Even the few merchants that have terminals that support the chip, they're usually disabled and you have to swipe. Saw that Target was investing $100m in upgrading their equipment following their recent breach... perhaps that will start the ball rolling with retailers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.