Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
As of May 1, 2014, Delta no longer provides status-based access to third party lounges (lounges operated neither by Delta nor by a SkyTeam partner) for passengers departing on a Delta-operated flight. Based on reports in this thread, this does not apply to passengers departing the airport they're in on a flight operated by a SkyTeam partner: all other SkyTeam partners continue to provide status-based access to third-party lounges to all SkyTeam Elite Plus members, including Delta elites. Access to third-party lounges is determined by the policy of the operating carrier of the flight departing the airport.

Nothing has changed for passengers flying in business or first class on Delta.

From the link provided in the OP:

SkyTeam Benefits

LOUNGE ACCESS
Effective May 1, 2014, all Delta third-party operated international lounges will become Business lounges. (6)
  • On or after May 1, 2014, Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus passengers flying in the economy cabin will only have access to DL Sky Clubs and SkyTeam Lounges.
  • Passengers must be traveling in Business Class to have access to Third Party Lounges.

Third party-operated Lounges:

Latin America & the Caribbean:

Bogota, CO (BOG)
Caracas, VE (CCS)
Lima, PE (LIM)
Quito, EC (UIO)

Europe/Africa/Middle East:
Accra, GH (ACC)
Arlanda, SE (ARN)
Athens, GR (ATH)
Barcelona, ES (BCN)
Brussels, BE (BRU)
Copenhagen, DK (CPH)
Dakar, SN (DKR)
Dubaij, AE (DXB)
Dublin, IE (DUB)
Dusseldorf, DE (DUS)
Frankfurt, DE (FRA)
Lagos, NG (LOS)
Madrid, ES (MAD)
Malaga, ES (AGP)
Malpensa, IT (MXP)
Manchester, GB (MAN)
Moscow, RU (SVO)
Mumbai, IN (BOM)
Munich, DE (MUC)
Nice, FR (NCE)
Pisa, IT (PSA)
Roberts, LR (ROB)
Shannon, IE (SNN)
Tel Aviv, IL (TLV)
Zurich, CH (ZRH)

Asia Pacific:
Bangkok, TH (BKK)
Beijing, CN (PEK)
Fukuoka, JP (FUK)
Guam, GU (GUM)
Hong Kong, HK (HKG) access to VS (partner) lounge. This lounge IS available to STE+, despite VS not being a SkyTeam partner.
Nagoya, JP (NGO)
Osaka, JP (KIX)
Saipan, MP (SPN)
Shanghai, CN (PVG)
Singapore, SG (SIN)
Sydney, AU (SYD) (no longer relevant after opening of SkyTeam lounge in Dec 2014)
Tokyo (Haneda), JP (HND) DL promotion provides access to two TIAT lounges at HND through Oct 31, 2017. Promotion includes any SkyClub member traveling on any airline same-day flight, and all GM, PM and DM members traveling on any DL flight. Extension of Haneda Lounge Access Promotion
Print Wikipost

delta cutting access to many of the international lounges

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2014, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
Speaking of literacy...

Minneapolis, MN 3 1.5 1 2 2
Atlanta, GA 5 6 8 3.5 4
1) I'm fully aware of where Minneapolis ranks.
2) They are called the Twin Cities for a reason and that is because they are linked geographically, economically, and culturally.
3) The OP mentioned Minnesota residents, not Minneapolis residents exclusively.
4) Given 2 & 3, it would be questionable to choose to assume that the workers the OP mentioned are somehow known to be from Minneapolis.
5) St. Paul has roughly 43% of the combined population of the two cities, so I would think it more reasonable to assume that the workers in the Twin Cities are likely representative of the combined ranking of the cities and, therefore, it isn't clear that they would rank above Atlanta.
6) The OP clearly misunderstands the list in the first place, since being in the top 5 is actually a positive thing and splitting hairs between #s 3 and 5 is, well, stupid.

I think we can all agree that the OP was being incredibly juvenile, that the OP didn't understand the links they were posting (or else deliberately miscast them), and that denigrating others based upon region of origin (as the OP does) is not amenable to positive discourse.

For the record, I have family in both Georgia and Minnesota. Both are nice places with a lot of positives. Both Greater Atlanta and the MSP region are successful, high-income, highly-educated areas. That some on this board continue to pretend otherwise illustrates their ignorance and prejudices. I'm sure the OP thinks he is being smart, but he comes across as anything but and I am happy to call him out on it.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:14 pm

Programs: Delta, United
I have to say lounge access was one of few real perks so add me to the disappointed list ... bloat the ranks, many whom fly overseas then drop the lounge access. Thanks RA.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
This is just terrible news. I use the air NZ lounge in SYD on DL to LAX as well as the BSL (KLM) and QF lounge in HKG. This is one of the great perks of being DM but after so many changes and devaluation do I really want to stay with DL or think about moving to another with a status match to another airline? Talk about disappointment!
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by gypsycsc
Some clarification as to what constitutes a third-party lounge would be helpful. Dubai is on the list. I've used the Dubai lounges a number of times. One is the KLM lounge and the other is the Air France lounge. Are these not Skyteam lounges?
There is certainly an Air France lounge in DXB, I've been there. However the lounge is quite small and doesn't offer a lot food or beverage options. The PP lounge there is so much better.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by nycflyer75
This is just terrible news. I use the air NZ lounge in SYD on DL to LAX as well as the BSL (KLM) and QF lounge in HKG. This is one of the great perks of being DM but after so many changes and devaluation do I really want to stay with DL or think about moving to another with a status match to another airline? Talk about disappointment!
There is a KLM lounge at BSL? There are no lounges you could get into as a ST E+ as far as I know, but you can get into the Swiss lounge with PP, and it's one of the very best lounges in the system.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
What surprises me the most about this announcement is the fact that just over a year ago, DL made Gold Medallions be SkyTeam Elite Plus and get lounge access. This decision to me seems to be someone saying "wow! We paid a fortune to the third party lounges last year...utilization is way up"....well obviously! Adding GMs had to increase the number of people in all lounges. I truly believe before doing what they have just announced they are doing that it should have been considered to remove GM from complimentary lounge access and just restricted it to DM and PM like it had been for years.

The entire lounge and Skyclub issue has become quite interesting. It is like DL doesn't know how to find happy mediums and just goes to extremes one way or another. They have been pushing Skyclub day, month, annual, payment plan, 3yr, joint, AMEX and any kind of membership or lounge pass they could the past few years and it obviously worked to fill the clubs but they were TOO NICE and TOO PERSISTENT. So DL started to think maybe they should save money on the booze because the crowd that the clubs were drawing would drink anything. And the complaints came in "Skyclubs are overcrowded, you are letting everyone in, the booze sucks, etc". So their answer is to increase the membership price, cut out the payment plan, joint memberships, 30 day membership, limit guests on Credit Card passes and cut back on international lounge access.

I know this isn't the most financially smart decision but I really think that DL should keep the Skyclubs the way they had them a few months ago (ie let anyone in and try and make it a money maker) AND add Business Class lounges for passengers flying in paid business class that have the premium liquor and quiet atmosphere with real food, no waits for showers, etc. At least have these lounges (similar to the Virgin Clubhouse) in their hubs where DL has international service - JFK, ATL, MSP, DTW, LAX, SEA. I think this would greatly improve the competitive position of DL and make a lot of people happy. For someone flying on a paid J ticket from LHR-ATL-MIA to visit the SkyTeam lounge or Virgin Clubhouse in LHR and then have to visit the A or B Skyclub in ATL, it's an absolute embarrassment.

I'm just hoping that at some point DL realizes that it isn't necessary to go to extremes - you can find a happy medium. A lot of decisions lately went to extremes (ex. SWU policy, JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA upgrade policy, Skyclub guest access, intl lounge access) and the timing is very interesting as the company is outperforming the industry and making record profits. Seems like a situation where you would think that status quo and if ain't broke don't try and fix it would apply - especially some of the decisions that have made them uncompetitive with their largest competitors. We will see what 2014 and beyond brings but I can't help but think some of these changes are greatly helping the new AA and UA.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: Delta DM and 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Count me in as disappointed. The PEK lounge was a great place to read a paper and have a drink or two before the generally substandard DL service to SEA which is our routine flight to see my wife's family. I've had 6 or 8 good years hanging at the different "3rd party" lounges in the places I've been, some nice, others not so great, but each interesting in its own way, this was a great little perk for all my international travels in Y. Well, I'll be 50 this year, and it will be time to simply re-evaluate and fly what works best for me, which may be DL and quite likely may not be. Frankly, the DL personnel on the phone and on the plane are superb, but the business class product is not that great and the Sky Clubs are ever-more abysmal.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by tanglin
Maybe we could just get a summary of all the Delta devaluations coming this year in one place instead of Delta tripping them out in small doses?
It is starting to seem like "death by 1000 cuts", isn't it?

O/H
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:45 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
My original plan was to drop to Gold because of STE+ lounge access and a few other things (which will presumably be "enhanced" away over the next few months). I guess this doesn't change that since I really don't plan to fly DL in Y internationally, and presumably if I'm on (say) AF metal my STE+ status will still grant me access.

But I'm still finding it harder and harder to justify staying loyal to DL for pretty much any of my travel... somebody remind me why I shouldn't just go for lowest available or with a carrier that offers W?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
My original plan was to drop to Gold because of STE+ lounge access and a few other things (which will presumably be "enhanced" away over the next few months). I guess this doesn't change that since I really don't plan to fly DL in Y internationally, and presumably if I'm on (say) AF metal my STE+ status will still grant me access.

But I'm still finding it harder and harder to justify staying loyal to DL for pretty much any of my travel... somebody remind me why I shouldn't just go for lowest available or with a carrier that offers W?
Not clear that flying AF would change things. You would still be attempting to enter as a Delta Skyteam Elite Plus. And it's not accurate to say they are taking away all lounge access as you would still have access to Skyteam operated lounges.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:23 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by LBJ
Not clear that flying AF would change things. You would still be attempting to enter as a Delta Skyteam Elite Plus.
The wording on the link cited by OP is "Delta SkyTeam Elite Plus Economy Passengers". This can be parsed as either "any skyteam elite plus passengers traveling in Y on Delta operated flights" or "Delta GM/PM/DM passengers traveling in Y on any SkyTeam flight". Given that operating carrier provides lounge invitations, I'm thinking the former is more likely. But I could be wrong.

And it's not accurate to say they are taking away all lounge access as you would still have access to Skyteam operated lounges.
I never said all lounge access is going away, but looking at the list... that's almost anywhere I'm likely to fly out of in Europe and Asia/Pacific.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Wow, what a colossal hit to Delta's value to an international business traveler. Delta gets my business to Asian destinations over other options because I can get more work done flying them, both onboard and at the airport. My employer simply wont pay for business class, so access to airport lounges is even more important - it lets me get WiFi access and finish some last minute tasks before boarding and conking out asleep in my Econ Comfort seat.

Taking away lounge WiFi access in most international outstations is a colossal mistake on Delta's part. It squarely highlights one of the few strengths UA has - a better network of alliance partners and lounges - and I daresay it will drive incremental decision making for business travelers to many of these cities. I know it will for me. What were they thinking?
Old Jan 11, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Also, just when I was starting to give them credit for being forthcoming about announcing changes, they sneak this one behind our backs (and, apparently, behind the backs of any proofreaders, too...) Classy.

Maybe that means this one isn't a done deal yet and they can reconsider what a huge mistake this is...
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: PM
United status match

This tips the scales. BCN is my home airport, and the loss of contract lounge access is a big devaluation for me.

I just applied for a MileagePlus status match and will give Star Alliance a shot this year. Unless I'm missing the fine print or impending changes, looks like the equivalent MileagePlus status gives me lounge access. "The same rules and restrictions for member carrier lounge access apply to a contract lounge facility."

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ralliance.aspx
Old Jan 12, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
The loss of the CSA lounge in Singapore is going to be sad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.