Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thrown out of SkyBonus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
Thrown out of SkyBonus

Wow! Glad I stumbled over this thread. Have not spent a single $ in the last 2 years on DL and redeemed close to 1million sky bonus points today for international and domestic tix before we loose them all due to the spending requirement. Devaluation and now this (other airlines as well), unbelievable...from now on whichever airline is cheapest and has the best connection will get my biz! Just like it used to be 25 years ago ;-)
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the SkyBonus number appears on all of the person's flights, then I don't understand the fuss about flights to nice places. It sounds like leisure trips are entitled to use the SkyBonus number too. What are the rules on this?
Technically, no, they're not. You're supposed to remove it.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
wow, this thread makes me sick. The OP should contact corporate customer care and I am wondering how a small claims court would decide. If the OP met the spending requirements and has a legitimate business I am wondering what Delta could argue to close an account without notice. Just because business takes someones to HNL frequently it doesn't mean there is fraud in play.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta, GM; HHonors, Gold
Thrown out of SkyBonus

After seeing this thread I checked my account and discovered it had been deactivated. Called this morning and they reactivated it without any problems or questions whatsoever, just told me to keep an eye on the minimum spending requirements in the future. Interestingly, when they deactivated my account they zeroed out my point balance and when they reactivated my account, they put in an equivalent number of points as an "adjustment" and this changed the expiration of the points to three years from today's date instead of at the end of 2014 when they were actually due to expire.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
I redeemed several awards but not sure if we can use them all.

What are the rules on redepositing awards? Can't find anything on the web site, I assume redeposit o.k. as long as you do it before the expiry date?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cfischer
wow, this thread makes me sick. The OP should contact corporate customer care and I am wondering how a small claims court would decide.
OP here...to be clear, I have no problem with Delta deciding who should and who shouldn't be a member of their programs. They really don't need a reason to throw me out, and probably would have been smarter to take that approach rather than resorting to personal attacks. Honestly, I spent almost all of my points anyway, so I don't feel that I need to be "made whole" in this situation. I could write to DL corporate, but I really don't want another form letter reply, nor some snarky comment put in my PNR.

For me, the changes to Delta over the past decade has been a death by a thousand cuts. It is time for me to try something different. I'm already 1MM on AA, so we'll see how this whole merger thing shakes out. For sure, I'm just budget dust to Delta, they won't miss me, and I'm sure I'll still be on DL from time to time.

For those who have benefited from this thread, glad it helped some folks. Cheers!

Originally Posted by kimmielou01
After seeing this thread I checked my account and discovered it had been deactivated. Called this morning and they reactivated it without any problems or questions whatsoever, just told me to keep an eye on the minimum spending requirements in the future. Interestingly, when they deactivated my account they zeroed out my point balance and when they reactivated my account, they put in an equivalent number of points as an "adjustment" and this changed the expiration of the points to three years from today's date instead of at the end of 2014 when they were actually due to expire.
This is very interesting, because the CSR I spoke to said it was categorically impossible to do such a thing when I inquired about ensuring higher levels of future spend (I already have about $3k of tix to MCO and JAC booked, but then those are "nice places").

Last edited by HookemHorns; Jan 13, 2014 at 8:33 am
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Technically, no, they're not. You're supposed to remove it.
Correct. From the T&C:

Only eligible tickets and coupons purchased and flown after date of enrollment and used for company business are eligible for credit in the Program.

Originally Posted by vielflieger
I redeemed several awards but not sure if we can use them all.

What are the rules on redepositing awards? Can't find anything on the web site, I assume redeposit o.k. as long as you do it before the expiry date?
From the T&C:

SkyBonus upgrade authorization numbers are valid for one year from date of issue. Award authorization numbers are considered redeemed once issued and cannot be redeposited ...<snip>...Lost, stolen, destroyed, expired or unused award certificates or tickets will not be replaced or credited to the Company's account.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta, GM; HHonors, Gold
This is very interesting, because the CSR I spoke to said it was categorically impossible to do such a thing when I inquired about ensuring higher levels of future spend (I already have about $3k of tix to MCO and JAC booked, but then those are &quot;nice places&quot.[/QUOTE]

If staying in the program is important to you, I would call back to try and talk with a different CSR. I kind of got the impression they'd received some complaints and decided to take a step back on this one.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
I tried to log in, it said my SkyBonus account was "inactive". I called and was told about the $5k per year DL spend requirement that had not been enforced in the past, but the CSR reinstated my account with no problem or hassle.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:06 am

just as an FYI i came across the same issue. They said you need to spend 5k in a year to keep it active but as a courtesy reactivated mine for this year. Try and call it should get it active again.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:52 am

When I called a bit more than a week ago, I was told that they put a note in my account and that I could submit tickets and when my spend got up to the minimum, they would reactivate both my account and my ~130,000 points.

I was also told there are only 4 reservations people working in the SB office and that there should be no problem getting everything reinstated since everyone knew what everyone else was doing.

We should get to the minimum before the end of the 1st quarter.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 5:51 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
I too was deactivated from the program for not reaching minimum spend. I called customer service and explained I should have some more projects this year. She agreed to reactivate. I'll be cashing out for 80 drink coupons and calling it a day ;-)!

Edit to add - it looks like they aren't reinstating the points! Anybody else encountering this?
Old Jan 13, 2014, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Will try to remember to call tomorrow and hope I get reinstated. If the points are gone, then...they just cost more in business than I would have gotten in free tickets.

We have been going out of our way to fly DL with connections to get miles, and free drinks, etc. With the killing of guest access to clubs and then this... Southwest is looking much better. Not just an upset threat. Just some reality checks that Delta is forcing us to take.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
Originally Posted by javabytes
Thanks for posting. I'm still looking for language on the $5k spend requirement, which I believe has been in place for quite some time as well.
I started an FT thread about the minimum spend back in August 2013 after I received an email mentioning the $5000 minimum spend. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...light=skybonus That was the first time I had heard of the minimum spend requirement.

Basically the email states: "Remember that your company must have at least $5,000 of company travel per year on Delta or any of our eligible airline partners in order to maintain eligibility in the SkyBonus program". I further looked into the T&C and found at the bottom: "Participating companies that do not have Delta flown revenue greater than $5,000 USD or the equivalent in other currencies per calendar year may be de-enrolled from the Program. Any Program points accrued will be forfeited should minimum activity level not be reached". The T&C can be found here: https://skybonus.delta.com/bizCoTermsConditions.sb Scroll to the very last bullet point.

Delta Points also blogged about it here: http://boardingarea.com/deltapoints/...based-program/

He does mention the possibility of being kicked out if you don't meet minimum spend. Now, from this thread, it seems clear that you will in fact be 'kicked out' of this program if you don't meet it. Glad to hear some are getting reinstated though.

One thing to note, when my flights have changed via SDC/IROPs, I have had to manually request for a retro credit a couple of times. Fortunately I check a couple times a month to make sure tickets are being applied correctly. If I didn't catch those, who knows if I would've made minimum spend as there really isn't a way to track it directly on SB. I guess a fall back plan is to add up MQDs on DL for all my company's SB eligible tickets....Not that I (or any of us) have the time to do this.

Last edited by NYCflip; Jan 14, 2014 at 1:35 pm Reason: corrected links
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by SamuelS
My account was also closed, despite several paid F tickets. We went over the $5,000 in 2012, but apparently may have been under $5,000 (depending on how many re-issued IROPS ticket number may have not been recorded) for 2013.

Also completely lame that DL would just forfeit all the earned points - including points earned from previous years when we did meet the revenue requirements.
Absolutely unbelievable to hear of Delta treating their customers like this. Shameful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.