Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Old Jan 10, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
Summary of Changes and Frequently Asked Questions

These changes are effective May 1, 2014

This topic is a prime candidate for Wikipost. Let's see if we can't pull one together incorporating the details of the changes, as well as DLCorpGirl's responses to some of our questions.

SkyClub membership has been split into two tiers: Executive and Individual.

Executive members may guest two individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) without additional charge. Executive members may guest up to 2 additional individuals for $29 each per visit.

Individual members must pay for all guests. Individual members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

Lifetime Memberships will be converted to Lifetime Executive Memberships, per DLCorpGal.

30 Day Skyclub Pass - this has been discontinued per Delta contacts.

American Express Delta Reserve and American Express Platinum or Centurion Card (not American Express Delta Platinum co-branded credit card, but American Express non-branded Platinum Charge Card) members may guest up to 2 individuals, or immediate family (spouse + children under 21) for $29 each per visit.

The fee for the Delta Gold American Express and Delta Platinum American Express cardmembers will increase to $29 per visit, per DLCorpGal.

Diamond Medallions may upgrade to an Executive Membership as a Choice Benefit or by using miles or cash to pay the difference. No confirmation on miles, but the cash difference is confirmed to be $145 if done by 3/1/15 per DLCorpGal. NOTE: Diamond Medallions have Executive Membership until 2/28/15. After this date, they will have Individual Membership by default.

Alaska Board Room membership is a workaround as of 1/15/14 for $450 1 year - $1050 3 years and includes 2 guests FREE or family. Note, however, that the AS/DL relationship isn't as good as it used to be and there's no guarantee that the Board Room/SkyClub reciprocity relationship will continue as it currently exists. -- As of February 2015 AS club membership no longer includes guests at Delta lounges.
Print Wikipost

Updates to Delta Sky Club membership Options

Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Bumping this because I couldn't find an answer.....

I'm likely to hit DM by the end of the year. That comes with the individual membership. I also have a DL reserve card, so I have individual access through that. I've never seen this anywhere, but do I get anything for having "double" access, like the ability to bring a guest? I'm assuming no but was curious.

(I realize as a DM I can use a choice benefit I could get an executive membership, but I'd rather not use a choice for that).
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:51 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by scongro
I'm likely to hit DM by the end of the year. That comes with the individual membership. I also have a DL reserve card, so I have individual access through that. I've never seen this anywhere, but do I get anything for having "double" access, like the ability to bring a guest? I'm assuming no but was curious.
Unfortunately, no. Even if you have multiple mechanisms that would gain you entry into the SC, they only allow you to use those on yourself. The only way to get a free guest is I think the exec membership or STE+ connecting to/from an international itinerary.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Zorak
Unfortunately, no. Even if you have multiple mechanisms that would gain you entry into the SC, they only allow you to use those on yourself. The only way to get a free guest is I think the exec membership or STE+ connecting to/from an international itinerary.
This.

Entry methods like individual membership and Amex Reserve or unbranded Amex Plat cards are valid only for the specified person and can't be "transferred" to a companion.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
DM with lifetime SkyClub

HAHAHAHA. This is funny. I have a lifetime "executive" (by having purchased a lifetime WorldClub membership when NW existed) and have made DM since it's inception. I've been trying to get DL to let me gift my DM SkyClub to my spouse or to choose a 3rd choice perk instead. So the carrot of SkyClub membership for achieving DM is worthless to me.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:45 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bonzaiflyer
HAHAHAHA. This is funny. I have a lifetime "executive" (by having purchased a lifetime WorldClub membership when NW existed) and have made DM since it's inception. I've been trying to get DL to let me gift my DM SkyClub to my spouse or to choose a 3rd choice perk instead. So the carrot of SkyClub membership for achieving DM is worthless to me.
I think those of us who bought lifetime Worldclub memberships (myself included) should be very happy. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by stc
I think those of us who bought lifetime Worldclub memberships (myself included) should be very happy. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Being a statics nut, I'm down to $7.47 per visit on a lifetime World Club membership. Not a bad buy!
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
My Diamond SkyClub membership just randomly upgraded to Executive...is anyone else getting that too? I didn't pay for it.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
My Diamond SkyClub membership just randomly upgraded to Executive...is anyone else getting that too? I didn't pay for it.
Not me... Just checked.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst
Not me... Just checked.
My "renewal" date just kicked in...maybe it will do that for you too when that happens?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Some members were owed a month of executive F where DL changed the elite calendar year by a month. The dates for the month seem to be differ for everyone.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I wish that was the case for me. My free exec status expired this month.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:51 pm
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Strategy questions about upgrading DM membership to executive for 5-6 round trips per year with my wife and young son.

To this point I have been getting my own access to Skyclub via the Reserve card, and set my wife up with the $175 additional reserve card. We occasionally pay the $29 for my son when deemed worthwhile -- i.e., a very long layover or a more interesting club e.g. ATL-F or SFO. Practically speaking this means most times, my wife heads to the Skyclub while my son and I hang out in the terminal because sitting in there for less than an hour eating popcorn is not worth $29.

I will make DM for the very first time in December. I'm aware the executive upgrade is available as a DM choice benefit. This thread indicates a cash upgrade of $245. Either as a choice benefit or paying an up-charge, the math works out for us to downgrade the additional reserve card (it's up for renewal in November) and get the executive membership.

A few questions if anyone has done this recently:

1. How soon after making diamond for the first time does your individual membership start? My flight on 12/3 will push me over 125k MQMs, and I have the MQD waiver so I should officially be DM on either 12/4 or 12/5. Our first trip as a family is 12/20.

2. Does the paid upgrade get you 1 calendar year from the date of upgrade, or is it somehow tied to your medallion year? If it's based on exactly one calendar year then it's probably best to wait until I'm at the first Skyclub that we want to access together to get maximum duration from it?

3. Is the paid upgrade still $245 for the executive membership?

4. If I opted for the choice benefit, would that be effective as soon as I selected it, or only between 1/1/2017-1/31/2018? I'm specifically thinking of the 4 (potential) lounge visits that occur between 12/20/2016-12/31/2016.

FWIW I probably will not re-qualify for Diamond in 2017, so this is really a one-year question, and then we'll be back to the reserve card strategy. Thanks in advance for any advice on how to play this.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by kpbadger
Strategy questions about upgrading DM membership to executive for 5-6 round trips per year with my wife and young son.

To this point I have been getting my own access to Skyclub via the Reserve card, and set my wife up with the $175 additional reserve card. We occasionally pay the $29 for my son when deemed worthwhile -- i.e., a very long layover or a more interesting club e.g. ATL-F or SFO. Practically speaking this means most times, my wife heads to the Skyclub while my son and I hang out in the terminal because sitting in there for less than an hour eating popcorn is not worth $29.

I will make DM for the very first time in December. I'm aware the executive upgrade is available as a DM choice benefit. This thread indicates a cash upgrade of $245. Either as a choice benefit or paying an up-charge, the math works out for us to downgrade the additional reserve card (it's up for renewal in November) and get the executive membership.

A few questions if anyone has done this recently:

1. How soon after making diamond for the first time does your individual membership start? My flight on 12/3 will push me over 125k MQMs, and I have the MQD waiver so I should officially be DM on either 12/4 or 12/5. Our first trip as a family is 12/20.

2. Does the paid upgrade get you 1 calendar year from the date of upgrade, or is it somehow tied to your medallion year? If it's based on exactly one calendar year then it's probably best to wait until I'm at the first Skyclub that we want to access together to get maximum duration from it?

3. Is the paid upgrade still $245 for the executive membership?

4. If I opted for the choice benefit, would that be effective as soon as I selected it, or only between 1/1/2017-1/31/2018? I'm specifically thinking of the 4 (potential) lounge visits that occur between 12/20/2016-12/31/2016.

FWIW I probably will not re-qualify for Diamond in 2017, so this is really a one-year question, and then we'll be back to the reserve card strategy. Thanks in advance for any advice on how to play this.
I can take a shot at some of these:

1) I hit DM on a flight on 8/16, and my status was in place by my next flight on 8/18 - including SkyClub access.

2)I don't have direct experience with this one, but I think I recall reading that it is tied to your Medallion year. I will defer to someone with direct experience, though. (Just looked at my "buy up" option on delta.com and it says that the upgrade would be valid through Jan 31, 2018.

3) Looking at the buy-up option right now, on delta.com, and $245 is the amount shown.

4) I can't find anything definitive on the Choice Benefit option, but all of the others go into effect immediately..... Seems reasonable to believe that it would extend to the end of your Medallion year, like the buy-up option does.

Hope that helps a little. (sorry about the size of the image!)
Attached Images  
Old Oct 30, 2016, 1:29 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Awesome, that one picture answers nearly all my questions. Thanks so much for checking!!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat
Can you use a sky club, AFTER you land?
Sometimes upon landing, I turn my phone on and have some phone calls/emails to send ASAP. SO I find an empty seat in the terminal and get to work. It would be niceif I could pop into a skyclub and do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.