Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Would DL endorse ticket to AA in the event of weather cx?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

A student of mine is stuck at JFK, after last night's flight to RDU was cancelled. He has been rebooked tonight at 2040 out of LGA, which seems to be the only flight NYC-RDU on DL that has any availability today. However, there are six earlier flights with AA showing current availability, one of them out of JFK. I do feel rather sorry for the lad - not even sure if he managed to get a hotel room last night. Should he just resign himself to his fate, or does a non-status passenger have any chance of getting rebooked onto another carrier in order to limit his delay to 12 rather than 24 hours?
Old Jan 7, 2014, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
A student of mine is stuck at JFK, after last night's flight to RDU was cancelled. He has been rebooked tonight at 2040 out of LGA, which seems to be the only flight NYC-RDU on DL that has any availability today. However, there are six earlier flights with AA showing current availability, one of them out of JFK. I do feel rather sorry for the lad - not even sure if he managed to get a hotel room last night. Should he just resign himself to his fate, or does a non-status passenger have any chance of getting rebooked onto another carrier in order to limit his delay to 12 rather than 24 hours?
Looking at ExpertFlyer,

AA's flights are Y0 with a few F1...DL is not likely to move him to AA as AA's flights are equally full.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by rwoman
Looking at ExpertFlyer,

AA's flights are Y0 with a few F1...DL is not likely to move him to AA as AA's flights are equally full.
Gosh, they all had seats an hour ago... never mind, thanks anyway.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 7:33 am

As an FYI, I have had Delta write me over to AA so I know they will. And recently flying out of SAT there were a ton of AA write overs to DL due to weather in DFW (we were heading to ATL)

That said, if it's a mess like this it tends to be useless as everyone is in the same boat so there aren't many seats out there to 'buy'
Old Jan 7, 2014, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
At one time yesterday I had a US Air flight showing on delta.com. I didn't put it there and I am pretty sure no agent did....so I assume the rebooking engine got it there.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Carriers are blocking and then unblocking availability to acommodate IRROPS. It's entirely possible that blocks of seats appear & disappear.

Yes, DL can and might rebook OP's student on AA. But, in the current massive IRROPS situation, it is best done at the airport by a DL agent who calls over to AA to confirm a seat. AA will, of course, take care of its own IRROPS pax before another carrier's.

The key is not to cancel the DL seat at 2040 until the student knows that he is confirmed, e.g. holds an e-ticket with a seat on an earlier AA.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Hmm.....I was recently in this purgatory this past weekend and the delta gate agent I talked to said they wont book you on another carrier.

In me trying to return on Delta I brought up rebooking me on Alaska and they said they wouldnt
Old Jan 8, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
We can rebook on OA... as long as theres a reasonable delay... whether it be for weather or a mechanical. Now, I will admit it is harder in Deltamatic vs SHARES.... but it can be done.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by Starblazer
We can rebook on OA... as long as theres a reasonable delay... whether it be for weather or a mechanical. Now, I will admit it is harder in Deltamatic vs SHARES.... but it can be done.
OA = other airlines?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Starblazer
.....but still definitely not Southwest and other carriers that don't interline, right?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
I'm not saying that DL won't rebook on another airline but I have had poor success in getting them to do this. I've often been told that in weather IRROPs that it's beyond the carrier's control and they would not book me on another airline. Glad to hear that some have had success with this.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
it worked the other way for me a few years ago ... I had no status on AA at the time; booked ORD-DFW-VPS; the 777 was late arriving and later for de-icing; when we got to DFW the GA had a hotel voucher and said I was rebooked for the next day; I requested them to send me to ATL on their flight leaving in 30 min, then the first DL to VPS in the morning ... actually got me in ~3 hr before the DFW-VPS, and AA gave me the hotel voucher in ATL

success basically depends on negotiating skills
Old Jan 8, 2014, 5:55 pm
inY

I had AA endorse a business award ticket over to a paid economy ticket with DL and UA.
Old Jan 8, 2014, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by inY
I had AA endorse a business award ticket over to a paid economy ticket with DL and UA.
Surprising as most award tickets are marked as unendorsable.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:37 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.....but still definitely not Southwest and other carriers that don't interline, right?
You are right..... pretty much you can count on all the majors, most of the minors, and a few LCCs... (WestJet comes to mind). SWA, Allegiant, Spirit are definite nos.... I'm not too sure on JetBlue...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.