Will delta honor a pricing glitch?

Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Man I was bored at work yesterday and still somehow missed out on the excitement. Would've been curious as to what kind of deals were showing up out of BOS.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:09 am

Is there any specific place or person to follow that would notify people of these mistakes... I always miss these deals or is it just random luck your on FT at that moment?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by Bryan Henry
Is there any specific place or person to follow that would notify people of these mistakes... I always miss these deals or is it just random luck your on FT at that moment?
random luck mostly. i usually miss out too but this one i got in on because i am on dansdeals facebook group and i saw someone post a question about delta's website error... that made me think must be mistake fare and found the info quickly thereafter

some things you can do are:

1) set up alerts on slickdeals for each of the major airlines. You might get a lot of false positives but this would have alerted you

2) set up feedly to track the major blogs. this got posted to dansdeals

beyond that i can't think of much beyond spending 24/7 in mileage run forum
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stupid me was trying (unsuccessfully) to book an award ticket while this was going on yesterday... the website kept giving an error when it would try to give an award price. This was a standard domestic ticket too. Guess I should've just tried booking for cash.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I wonder what person or group is getting canned over the pricing errors....
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: Skyteam
I missed it!
Old Dec 27, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I was so close- kept getting repricing after entering payment info on the .nl site… Was so close to grabbing some great deal- BOS-HNL in first for $119 was the best I saw.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: DL PM
The BE cabin on my red eye from LAX to JFK on Jan 19th is almost totally filled, where a day ago it was empty. That bites that I will probably loose the UG due to a ton of fares that were in error.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Has DL announced how many of the mistake fare tickets were sold during the two hour or so period of the glitch? I'm seeing surprisingly bad availability for some trips I need to book.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: DL PM
Do you think DL blocked seats and inventory till they could get it sorted?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Peatisback
I was so close- kept getting repricing after entering payment info on the .nl site… Was so close to grabbing some great deal- BOS-HNL in first for $119 was the best I saw.
From what I've read this morning, the .nl tickets were canceled and emails to that effect were sent out overnight. Hopefully that makes you feel a little better.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:34 am

I'm still puzzled. Best Buy was allowed to cancel my order for a $3999 TV
mistakenly priced to $999. All they offered was a $100 Best Buy gift card
as an apology.(only after I complained... and only because I had silver
status for spending almost $5000 at Best Buy the previous year) Because
of this, I have switched all my electronic purchases to Amazon and B&H
for the last year.

However, Delta is eating the losses for selling $999 ticket at $27. While
I do appreciate that they are honoring my ticket, I just don't see the logic
in this. Even if Delta choose not to honor it, I will have no choice but to
continue to fly with them.... since they are the sole airline at my local
airport. What am I gonna do? Drive or take Amtrak?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
Can't SDC on glitch fare?

During the pricing glitch yesterday morning, I used Expedia.ca to book a flight to HNL leaving tomorrow morning. I'm within the SDC window now and tried to change flights on DL.com but got an error that changes couldn't be made online. I called the PM line and the agent tried everything she knew to do before finally asking if this was "one of those glitch fares". I told her it was, and she told me that I wouldn't be able to make any changes because of that, including SDC.

I'll ask about it at the airport tomorrow morning and see what they say there. It's not a big deal either way, but thought I'd share what I was told.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:41 am
Original Poster

http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/26/news...source=cnn_bin

reading the comments section is quite amusing. I forget most people aren't on flyertalk and really dont get the airline industry at all.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by threepackape
However, Delta is eating the losses for selling $999 ticket at $27. While I do appreciate that they are honoring my ticket, I just don't see the logic in this. Even if Delta choose not to honor it, I will have no choice but to continue to fly with them.... since they are the sole airline at my local airport. What am I gonna do? Drive or take Amtrak?
Its not about the publicity or to keep you as a flyer. Under DOT regulations Delta would need to face a fine and decided it was cheaper to honor. Its part of Delta Spin, to make it looks like they are doing something as a customer service gesture when in fact they have very little choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.