Will delta honor a pricing glitch?

Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Gold; Starwood Gold; UAL Premier; Delta Silver
GRR to OGG

Was on Kayak this AM doing my daily sort to see if a good fare pops up for my return home after coming back to MI for Christmas with family. Low and behold Delta pops up with a $90.00 RT fare on Jan 3 returning late May! Bought them and went in again to check other dates but the fare changed just after successfully ticketing. Jumped on my Delta account and they allowed me to assign seats. I guess I'm good to go. Merry Christmas to me!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by atl_gsp
Same here, saw IND-OCC in Y for $75 in March. Timed out before I could check out.
Thought there was some law that said that airlines had to honor the ticketed price.
Anyone know if that is true?
Originally Posted by LBJ
There is no such law. Inventory can change at any time between the time you price a flight and the time you actually purchase it.
Originally Posted by LBJ
I was specifically responding to the case where a price has been displayed, but the flight was not actually ticketed (or even purchased for that matter). The situation above does not apply to the poster.
While you responded to the situation described, that's not the question the OP actually asked - if airlines had to honor a ticketed price. The correct answer is that there is no law, but there is a DOT rule that airlines have to honor a ticketed or purchased price (or risk being fined by DOT).
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Discplayer
Just you have a DL ticket number starting in 006 you are good to go!
They both start with 006, so fingers crossed!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flymonthly
While you responded to the situation described, that's not the question the OP actually asked - if airlines had to honor a ticketed price. The correct answer is that there is no law, but there is a DOT rule that airlines have to honor a ticketed or purchased price (or risk being fined by DOT).
The DOT rule says they can't charge mandatory additions to the fare once ticketed. Whether that means an airline can cancel and refund a mistake fare is somewhat open for debate.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP Marriott Ambassador
Will delta honor a pricing glitch?

Mobile app says server unavailable, so I guess they're currently 'fixing' the errors.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: Delta SM
Good deals but do not help much with MQD!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: A few
Got in right at the end for four of us to go to SLC in three weeks for a little extra skiing. $105 for four of us RDU-SLC should have been $2.5k. Nice!

And who cares about MQD when you can MS your way to Plat via Amex?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
has anyone looked into these fares for MQM earning?

FARE DETAILS: RDU DL DTT4.79DL CHI4.63DL DTT4.63DL RDU4.79USD18.84END DL ZPRDUDTWORDDTW XFRDU4.5DTW4.5ORD4.5 DTW4.5

On dl.dumb, showing these fares are booking into A RDU-DTT, and B DTW-ORD. Yet I see no fare basis on the receipt. Any speculation to how these will credit for MR purposes/
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: Delta KM/DM, Hyatt GP Plat, HHonors Gold
I'm 800 miles short of keeping PM, so Tuesday night I booked a MR from XNA to JAN for this Saturday. Fare was $376 but I used a $400 voucher. This morning I still had the ITA window open so I refreshed the results to see what the fare had gone to, and to my surprise it was down to $94. I put in a few other cities and was finding sub-$100 fares on all of them, so naturally I came to the MR forum to see what was going on. I must have been in towards the end because I initially couldn't get the pricing I was seeing on ITA to come up on Expedia, but after playing around a little more I was able to book TUL-HNL this weekend for $258 in First.

I was also able to book a family trip we had been planning to DC next year. Y tickets were $276 when I looked last week but I was able to book all four in F for $216 total. Those were the only two bookings I got in before the fares went back up.

Interestingly, my flights from TUL to MSP on Saturday, and XNA-ATL later this year are showing S class so I'll get reduced earning on those segments. The F segments are A class.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:49 pm

Darn it! I totally missed the first class fun today!

http://www.sfgate.com/business/techn...es-5094228.php
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by LBJ
The DOT rule says they can't charge mandatory additions to the fare once ticketed. Whether that means an airline can cancel and refund a mistake fare is somewhat open for debate.
I don't believe the DOT thinks it's debatable. Their FAQ on the rule says: "A contract of carriage provision that reserves the right to cancel such ticketed purchases or reserves the right to raise the fare cannot legalize the practice described above."
Old Dec 26, 2013, 2:58 pm

From the thread I started this morning.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...do-hawaii.html

Myself and my fiance are excited for our honeymoon and were even able to cash in on first class seating.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
The actual law in question is 49 USC 41712 - Unfair and deceptive practices and unfair methods of competition. It gives the DOT fairly broad authority to decide what is and is not unfair and deceptive.

Based on the law DOT puts out rules on a regular basis. In this case I think the most relevent is:

14 CFR 399.84 - PRICE ADVERTISING AND OPT-OUT PROVISIONS.

Specifically:
Although charges included within the single total price listed (e.g., government taxes) may be stated separately or through links or “pop ups” on websites that display the total price, such charges may not be false or misleading, may not be displayed prominently, may not be presented in the same or larger size as the total price, and must provide cost information on a per passenger basis that accurately reflects the cost of the item covered by the charge.
Okay, it's a mistake fare, but that also means it's a false fare. So they are violating the rules if they wished to take action. While there's nothing stopping DL from canceling per se they risk a fine that would be far greater than the cost of covering the fares.

Even worse, they risk the DOT actually coming up with more rules. If you look over the CoC you can tell DL doesn't like to spell out remedies when they mess up.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by zoo260
Good deals but do not help much with MQD!
Thank God for MQD. I the past these folks would be lumped in with everyone else and just sorted by miles flown
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:11 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by LBJ
As mentioned above it is not really open for debate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.