Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Alaska adds to SLC again..... BOI, LAS, SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska adds to SLC again..... BOI, LAS, SFO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:54 pm

I can definitely see me on that late flight from SFO.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by us2
The LAS flights are an open question. Is there really that much demand for O&D SLC-LAS service? I don't know, but I tend to doubt it.
*raises hand* Me. I'd say that about 50% of my travel (trips, not overall miles) is SLC-LAS and vice versa. I just flew that today, in fact. I fly it a lot, I know many people that fly it, and many many many more that drive between Utah/Salt Lake Counties and Las Vegas (but would probably be willing to fly it if it was a little cheaper/more options available). I was talking to a buddy of mine earlier today, and we're thinking about taking the Q400 to LAS and back just for kicks (but we actually love those little props and other regional aircraft, unlike most folks). I'm curious to see what the introductory fares will be on Tuesday when booking availability opens up.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Did B6 was tried SLC-LAS/SFO before? So when is that? When it did happen?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Free Beer n Wine in SLC*?

*only on Q400/CRJ700 QX/OO flights
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
DL will undoubtedly fire back...Alaska only has so many aircraft to continue this back n forth. Delta has over 700 aircraft, Alaska has 126 + another 51 with Horizon. Alaska will eventually lose.
AS does have a backlog on order+options but agreed probably not enough to do significant damage. And they could always keep some 734's a bit longer too...
Old Dec 21, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Reno maybe seasonably. I think it really is a question of what SEA is going to be envisioned for DL. A hub in the style of LGA or a hub in the style of MSP. DL may not even yet be sure what they want. Keep in mind Seattle is out of the way of a lot of domestic feeds and while I'm sure it's a fun city, it's not as popular of a tourist venue as say Chicago or San Francisco.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
Originally Posted by NittanyLion
Ditto these thoughts.

Delta charges quite a bit on those SLC-BOI flights, and this will keep them honest on the pricing.

SLC-SFO will get a fair amount of business traffic given its timing.

The only one I'm not sure about is SLC-LAS, that won't be a high-yield route.
Delta robs you on the SLC-BOI flight. When I was flying ever other week for work 6 years ago I could grab $ 90- $130 RT thanks to WN and DL. Delta the other day wanted $279 RT for 4 weeks out and $379 for the flights I wanted. Will be nice to get these flights under $200 again.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 3:48 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by MastaHanky
Quite a bit actually - about 450 PDEW each way. Average yield is actually semi-decent due to the short stage length - about 39c/mile...
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
*raises hand* Me. I'd say that about 50% of my travel (trips, not overall miles) is SLC-LAS and vice versa...
Interesting; you learn something new every day. As alluded to above, niche carriers like Alaska have a role to play in the 3+1 world in keeping the larger carriers honest on fares, so I do hope this works for them.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by us2
Interesting; you learn something new every day. As alluded to above, niche carriers like Alaska have a role to play in the 3+1 world in keeping the larger carriers honest on fares, so I do hope this works for them.
Yep, sometimes I'm surprised as well to learn the places that have demand. I was shocked when Allegiant started service to PVU last year, as I didn't think Provo was that popular of a destination (but since Frontier had been here before, I guess there was demand). Now Allegiant has several flights to/from PVU: LAX, OAK, and IWA (Phoenix-Mesa), and the routes run a mix of MD-80s and A319s. I'm actually surprised that PVU doesn't have a LAS-PVU route. There are two very large universities in the Provo-Orem area that have quite a few students from in/around the Clark County area, and at Allegiant prices, I bet a lot of them would fly it; I talked to someone last week who is flying PVU-IWA and then on to LAS (not sure if they're stopping over or connecting, but they have family in both cities).
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
WC competition is getting fierce, hope the AS partnership and bennies (baggage, SC and Boardroom reciprocity, upgrades) does not go away.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
WC competition is getting fierce, hope the AS partnership and bennies (baggage, SC and Boardroom reciprocity, upgrades) does not go away.
Agreed. It would be nice to take advantage of the flexibility of having more flight options for the same routes (or new options for routes DL doesn't have), as well as good competitive prices; and of course, hoping that MQMs/segments still credit appropriately, SP, SC and BR access are still available, etc.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
And it continues ... AS to fly BOI to SLC

http://idahobusinessreview.com/2013/...alt-lake-city/

It looks like the relationship is about to become even more rocky.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 7:24 am

Programs: DL GM
Already reported and being discussed in at least 2 other threads.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...i-sfo-las.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...i-las-sfo.html
Old Jan 1, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Oops, this cold is making my head do dumb things. Sorry for the duplicate thread..
Old Jan 1, 2014, 12:47 pm

Isn't DL dropping a frequency BOI-SLC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.