Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Your guess: The date that is is announced that DL and AS will no longer partner.

The partnership itself may take a few months longer to wind down.

My guess: May 1, 2014

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-airlines.html

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ers/delta.aspx
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Your guess: The date that is is announced that DL and AS will no longer partner.

Years from now. It's a long-range deal with expensive outs for either party. I'll say May 1, 2020, but it will be so long from now none of us will even remember the dates we picked.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think all is swell. But if you look at Delta's response to Alaska's adds in SLC (San Jose year-round and JNU seasonal), both sides are being fairly measured. When F9 dared to launch an MCI-MSP flight two years ago, DL announced MCI-BOS, MCI-MSY, MCI-CMH then MCI-AUS — all routes that had been F9 monopolies. When F9 pulled out, most of those routes immediately went away. BOS held on for a little longer. If Delta wanted to screw with AS, they would have launched SEA-BOS, SEA-STL, SEA-MCI, etc. And vice versa, if AS really wanted to screw with Delta, they wouldn't have launched routes to SLC from existing focus cities. Measured responses to measured provocations.

Both sides know they're in bed together for the longhaul and are engaging in tit-for-tat adds. The partnership isn't going anywhere soon.

Last edited by jrkmsp; Dec 14, 2013 at 7:46 pm Reason: Edit to correct. It was MCI-MSY.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion

If when the two non-stop flights between DCA and MEM end DL launches DCA-SEA and/or DCA-LAX that to me would signal they are out for AS blood.

DL would have to get distance exceptions for any LAX and SEA flights but that could come as part of the AA/US merger changes at DCA.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtwtransport
If when the two non-stop flights between DCA and MEM end DL launches DCA-SEA and/or DCA-LAX that to me would signal they are out for AS blood.

DL would have to get distance exceptions for any LAX and SEA flights but that could come as part of the AA/US merger changes at DCA.
Name a date.

(Or, tell me I am crazy for even thinking this may come to pass.)
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:05 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by dtwtransport

There is no easy way for DL to gain permission to serve LAX or SEA out of DCA. If there was, every airline would be all over it.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:13 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
...Don't get me wrong, I don't think all is swell... both sides are being fairly measured.... If Delta wanted to screw with AS, they would have launched SEA-BOS, SEA-STL, SEA-MCI, etc...
I so wish you were right. But I think you misunderstand the meaning of DL attacking Alaska's bread-and-butter routes from SEA such as SFO, LAX, LAS, SAN, YVR, FAI, and PDX. Any single one of these routes would have been a punch in the gut to AS. ALL of them is a declaration of war.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Alaska serves to many more airports in the NW than the hub routes both are competing on. AS is a major feeder to Delta's long haul international flights to NRT,AMS, and CDG from PDX,SEA, and SFO. I've even used into AS to connect international on DL out of LAX.

DL acquiring AS is more likely IMO than ending the partnership.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by andymo99
I so wish you were right. But I think you misunderstand the meaning of DL attacking Alaska's bread-and-butter routes from SEA such as SFO, LAX, LAS, SAN, YVR, FAI, and PDX. Any single one of these routes would have been a punch in the gut to AS. ALL of them is a declaration of war.
100% agree. Some of the flights don't even connect to Delta's international flights so please don't feed me that old excuse.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Please, for the sake of the viewing audience at home, name a date!

"Never" is an acceptable answer as well...

Thanks for playing along.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Maybe we should wait for the majority of these new routes to materialize berfore picking a date. Especially on the DL side. They have a very predictable habit of throwing a lot of crap at the wall and waiting to see what sticks when it comes to new routes from "new hubs". Anyone remember the LAX-PHL and LAX-IAD flights as part of that last attempt (or second to the last attempt) to re-build the LAX hub?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by doglover
Alaska serves to many more airports in the NW than the hub routes both are competing on. AS is a major feeder to Delta's long haul international flights to NRT,AMS, and CDG from PDX,SEA, and SFO. I've even used into AS to connect international on DL out of LAX.

DL acquiring AS is more likely IMO than ending the partnership.
Connecting between AS and DL is easier at LAX than, for instance, SEA because T5 and T6 at PAX are close to each other and connected by the airside tunnel. At SEA, it's a long and complicated walk involving the train, etc.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:10 am
Original Poster

This is the most comprehensive overview I have seen:

"Delta Air makes still more aggressive moves in Seattle as Alaska Airlines pledges to defend itself"

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...-itself-137648

"Just how the current competitive build-up by Delta in Alaska’s markets will affect their long-term relationship is uncertain. But in the meantime Alaska continues to post financial results that are among the best in the US industry, which means that it has a strong foundation from which to defend itself."

"With Delta’s planned launch of new service from Seattle to Portland and San Diego in Sep-2014 and Jun-2014, respectively, Delta caps off a raft of domestic expansion from Seattle while also building the airport as a key trans-Pacific gateway.

Once those new routes launch, Delta will compete with Alaska on six of Alaska’s top 10 domestic routes – Seattle to Anchorage (on a seasonal basis, but with more frequencies planned for 2014), Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Portland, San Francisco and San Diego."

"However, Mr Tilden noted that Delta and Alaska would not be codesharing on the new flights Delta is introducing into Alaska’s north-south markets on the US west coast. So it appears Alaska will feed Delta’s international flights from other markets where there is a codeshare in place and compete head-to-head with its partner in other markets. "

"Queried directly about seemingly subsidising a competitor by codesharing on certain flights and why Alaska is not making it more painful for Delta, Mr Tilden explained there are all types of actions Alaska could take, but that it was not in the company’s interest to talk about its strategy during a public discussion with analysts."

"Without a doubt, the declaration that "alliances are complicated" will be flagrantly obvious in Seattle in 2014."

Many other interesting details as well...

Another good one:

"Delta Air Lines' latest punch at Alaska in Seattle is an effort to siphon traffic from Vancouver"

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...ncouver-142676

"...by launching service from Vancouver to feed its international operations in Seattle. The new service not only continues to heighten tension with Alaska, but also adds a new layer of competitive dynamics to carriers offering service to Asia from Vancouver, which is just 204km north of Seattle."
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Connecting between AS and DL is easier at LAX than, for instance, SEA because T5 and T6 at PAX are close to each other and connected by the airside tunnel. At SEA, it's a long and complicated walk involving the train, etc.
Even connecting from AS to AS at SEA can require a train ride since AS is now running a lot of flights out of one of the satellite terminals.

If you ride the trains, there should never be a really long walk at SEA unless you are at the very end of the A concourse.

Two years ago, I was traveling to FAI on a monthly basis and it was always a 3 train connection. At least in ATL, your train rides are non-stop.

David
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Please, for the sake of the viewing audience at home, name a date!

"Never" is an acceptable answer as well...

Thanks for playing along.
Are you looking to get a pool going? Everyone buys the winner lunch.

You start.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
"...by launching service from Vancouver to feed its international operations in Seattle. The new service not only continues to heighten tension with Alaska, but also adds a new layer of competitive dynamics to carriers offering service to Asia from Vancouver, which is just 204km north of Seattle."
What's the extra overhead for a Canadian traveler to transit the U.S. en route to Asia?

edit: here's a graphic that shows AS's revenue and breaks out the codeshares with AA and DL.

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Dec 16, 2013 at 8:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.