Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Can you change one leg of an award ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you change one leg of an award ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by JPG3392
DL does not offer one-way awards for half the miles (as AA and UA do). Your original post left the impression that you planned to book a RT flight and change the date of the return. There's some risk in all of this, of course, but booking a RT and later changing the return date seems safer than booking one-way for the full mileage and later attempting to add a return flight to your ticket.
Yup, my plan is to do just that (book an RT ticket + change outgoing dates later). However, due to the time differences etc the earliest I can construct a valid stopover+OJ+return itinerary is 5 days from when bookings for the outgoing open.

I think I'll still stick with that plan, since like you said it'll be safer than trying to add a return later to a one-way ticket. It'll be a nervous 5 days though!

Why Delta can't just do one-way award pricing like most everyone else is beyond me.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:51 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by dd1612
Not true. I have made changes to the return portion of a Europe -USA award ticket many times .... changing carriers and departure cities or intermediate cities. Gone from a 1 or a 2 stop to a direct flight.

But the best way to do this is to call in and ask. Make it clear that nothing should be changed till you okay the change.
Agree with all points.

Originally Posted by JPG3392
Do you mean that the return flight you want currently has no award availability or that it's too far in advance to book travel on your preferred date? If the latter, you need to make sure that the date is within the time frame permitted for a RT ticket (one year from booking, I think, but I'm not sure of the details).
I have booked a one-way for full mileage and then added the return. I have also booked a RT flight and then added an extra segment, all using miles. Never a problem, but I always call to do the changes.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
I currently have 2 pax LAX-CUN-LAX in r/t low business 60k miles total and it looks like we cannot make the outbound.

Now that one way pricing is allowed, can we cancel only the outbound and redeposit the 2x 30k miles for the redeposit fee?
Or change the outbound to high economy and pay only 15k miles as opposed to triggering reprice as the website does.

UA has available coach for $240 so that's preferable to paying 37k for economy
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by sjefenole
I currently have 2 pax LAX-CUN-LAX in r/t low business 60k miles total and it looks like we cannot make the outbound.

Now that one way pricing is allowed, can we cancel only the outbound and redeposit the 2x 30k miles for the redeposit fee?
I think a competent agent should be able to do this. Just be very clear about what you want to do when you call.

Originally Posted by sjefenole
Or change the outbound to high economy and pay only 15k miles as opposed to triggering reprice as the website does.
DON'T DO THIS! If you miss your outbound flight, the other flights on the itinerary will be cancelled.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
Thank you.

I just called asked if this was possible (at T-73 hours!) and they said it was not.
After talking to her for five minutes I said I was told this should be possible due to the new one way is half price from round trip on awards when she asked me to hold and then said yes this was, in fact, possible.
So 60K miles refunded. Change fee charged less taxes.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:21 am

Yes

Originally Posted by ATLpat
My work booked me a goofy BE award at low ATL FCO CDG MUC ATL.

I'm PM so I'm monitoring better options for ATL MUC. IF something better opens up, can I change just the outbound without impacting the price? Or, do I need to make sure the return stays low before making a change?
Yes, but only if there is a seat available for the change. It is also possible that a seat is available, but it will cost you more SkyMiles. I have done this several times with extra SM points.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
I currently have business class mileage tickets SEA-AMS and returning AMS-SEA both from DL's low level award inventory. I'm thinking of changing to get SEA-NRT-SIN, SIN-AMS and AMS-SEA (multi city). If I try to make the change will I lose the low level award inventory that I already have for the same AMS-SEA flight that I originally booked?

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Melodsal
I currently have business class mileage tickets SEA-AMS and returning AMS-SEA both from DL's low level award inventory. I'm thinking of changing to get SEA-NRT-SIN, SIN-AMS and AMS-SEA (multi city). If I try to make the change will I lose the low level award inventory that I already have for the same AMS-SEA flight that I originally booked?

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Was the original ticket booked during DL's sale on RT D1 tickets to Europe?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was the original ticket booked during DL's sale on RT D1 tickets to Europe?
Yes it was.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Melodsal
Yes it was.
Then my *guess* is that you woulld be required to cancel it and find current availability for a completely new ticket. YMMV. Maybe try HUCA?

You might have more luck reversing the direction of your proposed new trip and trying to use the first direction of the old ticket, although the best odds of that might be to try to change it after the outbound has been flown. Unfortunately, at that point, you would lose half of the value (miles) if DL says no. You would probably also find it harder to get good award space on the remaining trip you want.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Then my *guess* is that you woulld be required to cancel it and find current availability for a completely new ticket. YMMV. Maybe try HUCA?

You might have more luck reversing the direction of your proposed new trip and trying to use the first direction of the old ticket, although the best odds of that might be to try to change it after the outbound has been flown. Unfortunately, at that point, you would lose half of the value (miles) if DL says no. You would probably also find it harder to get good award space on the remaining trip you want.
Thanks MSPEconomist for your input!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.