Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU validity question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
SWU validity question

Please don't flame me, yes, I'm sure the answer is here somewhere, search is your friend, yadda yadda......

I have 2 SWU's that expire Feb 2015.

I believe that they have to be redeemed by then but travel can be after that.

The new GUC's specifically state travel has to be completed by the expiration date but the SWU's do not have that language.

So if I buy a ticket now for March 2015 and it has upgrade availability I should be able to use the SWU's. Is that correct and if so is there anything in writing to that effect in case I have to fight with the agents?

The other issue is they love to wait forever to reissue the tickets. I just had one for December that took over 3 months to be reissued. I asked twice and both times I was told it had been reissued when I knew it had not. It was no big deal because the certificates still had plenty of validity in them.

Don't want to waste my last two precious SWU for domestic!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes, with the old SWUs you can have the flight occur after the SWU exp date, as long as you put the request in prior to them expiring.

Technically the SWUs have to be 'closed' ie the ticket reissued before they expire as well, however I had a flight with my last old SWU where they didn't reissue prior but instead put a note in my acct stating they are valid and could be used even if expired when reissue occurs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.