Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member ND76

Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member emancj and it includes a photograph

Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member tvnwz

Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member 355F1
Print Wikipost

Delta New 737-900ER Interior

Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Chris_DeltaCustExp
Changes to the A320 and 757-200 fleet...and a quick overview of the current FC configs:

Aircraft FC Seats
A319 12
717-200 12
737-700 12
A320 16
MD88 16
MD90 16
737-800 16
757-200 Transcon 16
757-200 Interport/Pacific 18
757-200 Domestic/Hawaii 20
737-900ER 20
757-300 24
767-300 30

The 7 iPort a/c will have 2 fewer FC seats due to an additional fwd galley.
Yes, thank you for being here this morning, even if I'm sad to see no DC-9s on the list. I love those old birds, partly because of their huge overhead bins on both sides. Some important events in my life involved travel on a DC-9.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:39 am

Everything Delta is doing with regards to first class cabin size and pay-for-use Medallion requirements is all in lock step. Don't think there isn't close collaboration on items like this. One key to all this is what I call misleading marketing and communication - one of the single biggest gripes through this whole message board.

Delta is forcing a minimum spend requirement beginning in 2014. The sell to you is this will help provide the best customers with more of the best perks - ie upgrades - by weeding out the ranks of Diamond and Platinum.

Well this sounds great until you look into the further advancement of the first class up-selling (more still to come). And on some fleets the reduction in first class seating - or the smaller 737-900ER replacing most 757's. Regarding the 757's staying, your odds to upgrade as a Diamond either don't change or maybe get worse - even with the sell, I would even say promise, of more benefit for fewer Medallions. Bait and switch.

And as for the 320 reconfiguration back to F16, it is nice. But there may only be 27 320's flying by the time this is done. A/C up through 3250 are slated for retirement unless Airbus comes up with a life-extension program being sought by Richard. At last check Airbus did not want to do this - and there's speculation that played a part in Airbus hacking prices even lower on the 321 order.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:43 am

Changes to the A320 and 757-200 fleet...and a quick overview of the current FC configs:

Aircraft FC Seats
A319 12
717-200 12
737-700 12
A320 16
MD88 16
MD90 16
737-800 16
757-200 Transcon 16
737-900ER 20
757-300 24
767-300 30

Never heard from anyone what happened with the initial plan to go F28 on the 757. This was communicated internally quite a bit about a year or two following the merger. I assume it's the same reconfiguration plan re: galleys and such but with a smaller first cabin.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:45 am
Suspended

Aircraft FC Seats
757-200 Transcon 16

Sad to see the best narrow body cabin, between doors 1L/R and 2 L/R go away. I think most of us thought it would stay around as long as Delta was flying the 757.

Questions:
1. Since the mid cabin galley is being removed, will the mid cabin lav be moved forward to behind row 5 of first class? Or will Delta bring the mini-cabin back as in the attached photo -- with less galleys and closets?

2. Will Delta continue to board, where possible, through 2L? Or will Delta install seats at 2L, similar to other airlines' configuration, and board all flights through 1L?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Nov 6, 2013, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I just wanted to thank Chris for his active engagement here in the hopes that he isn't beaten down by the relentless negativity coming from some on this thread. Folks want engagement. You got engagement. Top-notch engagement. Unfortunately, some folks seem to think engagement = beat up on DL. Frankly, Chris has given this board more than it deserves on the engagement front.

Chris, please know that some of us are fully aware that there are compromises that have to be made when configuring aircraft, choosing AVOD systems, etc., and that some of those compromises may not break exactly as we would always like.
THIS!

Thank you, Chris. Apologize for the boorish behavior on here. Many of these folks are obviously NOT business travelers, and obviously have no common decency when it comes to communication. Your input is appreciated, and it is always interesting to see how fluid DL has become to changing market conditions.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
Originally Posted by n7371f
Never heard from anyone what happened with the initial plan to go F28 on the 757. This was communicated internally quite a bit about a year or two following the merger.
I wondered the same thing. Must have been trumped by FCM. Obviously Delta has become wise and realized that Upgrade Class is not as profitable as re-purposing the real estate with seats that will sell.

I'm OK with this. In return though I expect an industry leading first class product. However, what has been presented by Delta thus far, barely seems competitive.

- industry lagging pitch of 37"
- well publicized second rate meals and meal times
- personal AVOD technology that can't be used effectively
- use of dirty, floppy curtains as cabin dividers

Delta Air Lines
Cram 'em In and Feed 'em Sky Pesos
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:11 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
THIS!

Thank you, Chris. Apologize for the boorish behavior on here. Many of these folks are obviously NOT business travelers, and obviously have no common decency when it comes to communication. Your input is appreciated, and it is always interesting to see how fluid DL has become to changing market conditions.
You and pbarnette are like abused spouses "s/he loves me really and didn't mean to hurt me". Seriously, we're paying more and getting less and you seem to invoke some mysterious inner knowledge of market forces instead of screaming "No freakin' way this is ok" as good customers should. The problem here is that there appears to be little choice among the products offered by the legacies. If nothing else, we're saying LOUDLY that there is a market for people who are happy to pay money for non-bottom products and maybe that will encourage new or existing businesses to compete with DL in a race to the top. This hasn't worked in the past, but maybe now in this heated economy is the time... in any case letting businesses know that not everybody is ok with the current product is what customers should do in a market-driven economy.

If we were going for an airline advertising $200 RTs I'd expect to be milked for anything they could get from me, but I'm not that person, and this airline isn't serving my needs.

I'm not saying ad hominems are ok w.r.t. Chris posting, but I have not seen any personal attacks. Repeating the party line and expecting us to lick his/her boots just for stating what we already know and are unhappy about is just silly. Chris is doing his/her job by posting here, pretty sure this is not on Chris's free time.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
THIS!

Oh good grief!

"Many of the folks" on here ARE business travelers. And most of the folks on here think that Chris is doing an outstanding job providing useful and interesting information from Delta. He has always presented himself in a professional and helpful manner. We applaud his efforts and want his presence to continue.

No one is taking their displeasure, disappointment, frustration out on Chris. He represents Delta and is simply a conduit of information. We expect him to synthesize the comments, positive and negative, and provide them to the appropriate resources within Delta that have authority to execute change -- whether we agree with it or not.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
You and pbarnette are like abused spouses "s/he loves me really and didn't mean to hurt me".
That you would trivialize spousal abuse in such a way is illustrative of how much perspective you've lost over what is a business transaction.

To paraphrase the great William Shatner: get a life, it is just a damn airline.

Seriously, we're paying more and getting less and you seem to invoke some mysterious inner knowledge of market forces instead of screaming "No freakin' way this is ok" as good customers should.
You can feel free to stomp your feet and throw a hissy on a meaningless message board if you think that is what "good customers" should do. I'm not interested.

If nothing else, we're saying LOUDLY that there is a market for people who are happy to pay money for non-bottom products and maybe that will encourage new or existing businesses to compete with DL in a race to the top.
I laughed at this. Is there a market? Yes. Is that market large enough to sustain anything resembling a national airline. Not a chance.

I'm not saying ad hominems are ok w.r.t. Chris posting, but I have not seen any personal attacks. Repeating the party line and expecting us to lick his/her boots just for stating what we already know and are unhappy about is just silly. Chris is doing his/her job by posting here, pretty sure this is not on Chris's free time.
It isn't personal attacks, just relentless negativity.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by FitTraveler
"Many of the folks" on here ARE business travelers.
Are there people that travel for work here? Absolutely. Does that mean that the average person here is a capable businessperson making multi-million dollar decisions? Probably not. Most of the analysis of the business side of DL's decisions are, IMO, woefully lacking.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:31 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by TurnLeftAt2L
Sad to see the best narrow body cabin, between doors 1L/R and 2 L/R go away. I think most of us thought it would stay around as long as Delta was flying the 757.

Questions:
1. Since the mid cabin galley is being removed, will the mid cabin lav be moved forward to behind row 5 of first class? Or will Delta bring the mini-cabin back as in the attached photo -- with less galleys and closets?

2. Will Delta continue to board, where possible, through 2L? Or will Delta install seats at 2L, similar to other airlines' configuration, and board all flights through 1L?

[IMG][/IMG]
The mid cabin lav stays where it is. There will be 5 rows of FC and 2 rows of EC fwd of door 2. We will continue to board through door 2 whenever possible. I know that boarding via 2L and turning to the left into the premium cabin is a major plus for our customers...so that won't change.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:40 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
THIS!

Thanks bubbashow...I don't mind the comments and opinions expressed by the FT group...the folks here are generally our most loyal customers and it's great to see this level of engagement and passion about Delta and our product.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 9:54 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Putting aside the two DL fanboys, and this is in no way aimed at you or your comments, in my opinion it would be better to have a certain level of professionalism in expressing displeasure at a DL product, service, etc. when communicating with an official DL representative. But maybe that's just me.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler
Chris....why are the 757-200 aircraft having First seats removed...?
It would seem awkward to have 2 rows of EC after 5 rows of First left of the 2L door..those people in EC would want First service but would be constantly ignored and skipped over..if theres room for 7 rows why not leave them all First....it does not seem like it will flow too well...maybe someone can reconsider if this really makes sense..?
Old Nov 6, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
My, how times change.

Originally Posted by DLCorpGuy
Wanted to make sure you all saw this announcement this morning:

Delta Continues Expansion of First Class on Domestic Flights
Airline increases First Class seating by 13 percent, creating up to one million new upgrade opportunities annually for SkyMiles members

http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/delta/47794/

Discuss and enjoy!
Chris, I do appreciate your posting here and we recognize that a lot can change in 3 years. Quoting your post above is not meant to be disrespectful.

With Delta removing FC seats, I am wondering about the long term outlook for FCM.

David

Last edited by DiverDave; Nov 6, 2013 at 10:13 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.