Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member ND76

Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member emancj — and it includes a photograph

Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member tvnwz

Trip Report posted by FlyerTalk member 355F1
Print Wikipost

Delta New 737-900ER Interior

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by Chris_DeltaCustExp

Our friends at UA and AA are embarking on seat density programs that will add seats and reduce pitch...I'd be interested in hearing from FTers about their experiences on the modified UA and AA a/c.
Recent experiences on AA

A319 nice new aircraft but 30 in pitch is miserable in Y from a recent ATL-DFW. AVOD was still working out kinks.

S80 good MCE seating. Y- is average. I like the DC-9-80 thru 90 for the 2x3 in coach. It make a big difference to me. I remember the 2x3 Air Atlanta 727s. 2x3 as a Y+ would be a difference maker in the A32x and 73x series.

738 amazing in Y. 150 seats. Row 16 and 17 blocked middle is the best thing flying right now as no shoulder to shoulder contact. MCE is comfortable as well. AVOD is not that big a deal on most flights.

Channel 9 is the best thing about UA.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Sorry...no. The 717, MD88, MD90 and A320 fleets will not feature AVOD or Sat TV. However, they'll all feature Gogo Vision/Entertainment on Demand. I used the product on ATL-SLC yesterday, watching a movie on my iPad and it worked great. Has anyone else tried it?

The 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, A319, A321 and A330 fleets will all feature AVOD (+Sat TV on the domestic a/c).
I didn't even realize this was live or available yet on DL, and I feel like I stay pretty up to date with what's going on. Was there any announcement of this, or is it advertised on flights where it's available?

If I have been on one of these flights, I definitely didn't even think to try it.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by roknroll
I didn't even realize this was live or available yet on DL, and I feel like I stay pretty up to date with what's going on. Was there any announcement of this, or is it advertised on flights where it's available?

If I have been on one of these flights, I definitely didn't even think to try it.
On random flights where I've actually remembered to check, I've seen it. I think it was on the landing page after you log into gogo. Once I had to do a little searching for it, but I saw the option. I've never heard it advertised, nor have I used it (I'm not going to pay to use it, I'm perfectly content napping, listening to music, reading a book, etc). I don't know if it had an official launch announcement, but I've seen it mentioned across flyertalk.

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
Channel 9 is the best thing about UA.
I wish, so badly, that DL could do the same thing. The one, and only, time I was on a UA flight (and it was TED), I listened to channel 9 the whole time. Maybe it's because I'm a nerd and a pilot, but still. It's much more entertaining than any AVOD selection I've ever come across. What would it take to get DL to do something like this?
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:14 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
was on the new 737-900 ATL-LAX yesterday. I can't believe there is no live Dish TV. Was looking forward to watching the golf.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 6:32 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
The CRJ900s offer a 19.6" wide seat in FC and 17.6" wide seat in EC and YC.

Compare that with the E175 which features a 20" wide seat in FC and 18.2" wide seat in EC and YC.
I have a very difficult time buying that there is only .6" of difference in the width of the E175 Y seat and the CRJ900Y seat, but even if true, whatever Embraer does, it is significantly more comfortable in coach, in fact, the E170/E175/E190/E195 has the most comfortable coach seating of any aircraft I have ever been on in my opinion. Try sitting in an E175 coach seat with an average size male sitting next to you then do the same in an CRJ900, I have no doubt you'll think the CRJ must be missing a lot more than .6 inches of width per seat.

BTW, not that I trust Seatguru.com as the definitive source, they put the difference in width at .95 inches, which sounds more accurate to me from my seat of the pants (literally) experience.

I do agree that the GoGo Vision is a nice product, used it to watch a movie on some recent flights, watching the first part on my first flight, and picking up where I left off with the remainder on my next flight. My only comment would be I wish you had more than 24 hours to watch a movie in case you couldn't watch it on the trip there so you could watch it on the trip back.

Edited to add: According to Delta.com the EMB175 has 18.25" wide seats and CRJ900 has 17.3" seats, either the information you posted is incorrect or Delta.com is incorrect.

Last edited by Beckles; Feb 24, 2014 at 9:39 pm
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:08 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by roknroll

We haven't started actively marketing the product but it is available on a big chunk of the domestic mainline fleet. It's advertised on the home page of the Delta Connect Portal, if it's available.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 10:11 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by dean1121
was on the new 737-900 ATL-LAX yesterday. I can't believe there is no live Dish TV. Was looking forward to watching the golf.
Satellite TV installations on the -900ER fleet are scheduled to begin in May 2014.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
I was on one of these horrible planes yesterday ATL-PDX.

1) First class bathroom - What a nightmare, I'm broad shouldered and could barely turn around. Sink is tiny and the result was other passenger splashed around and made a huge mess.

2) First class Seats - Comfort was alright. It was extremely tight getting in and out if the person in front of you was reclining. It was a struggle as there is no room at all!

3) In Seat Video - Slick screen. But placing the headphone jack on the screen in front of the person is ridiculous. You either drape the cable over your tray during meal time and have it in your food and drink, or you run it under the tray and have the cable catch on everything and rip the earbuds out of your ear. The other huge downfall is the screen does not tilt at all. If the person in front of you reclines, you are forced to recline as well to get your view of the screen. I found when reclining and trying to watch something I had to crane my neck to an uncomfortable position.

I will actively not fly this plane in the future.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Flew RDU-ATL today in 10C.

Great legroom and the seat was very comfortable. I felt the overhead bins were bigger.

The IFE was completely broken. No screens were on throughout the entire aircraft. FA's were giving the safety talk via the microphone.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:22 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage ExecPlat, Former DL Skymiles Diamond (MM), Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie

1) First class bathroom - What a nightmare, I'm broad shouldered and could barely turn around. Sink is tiny and the result was other passenger splashed around and made a huge mess.

2) First class Seats - Comfort was alright. It was extremely tight getting in and out if the person in front of you was reclining. It was a struggle as there is no room at all!

3) In Seat Video - Slick screen. But placing the headphone jack on the screen in front of the person is ridiculous. You either drape the cable over your tray during meal time and have it in your food and drink, or you run it under the tray and have the cable catch on everything and rip the earbuds out of your ear. The other huge downfall is the screen does not tilt at all. If the person in front of you reclines, you are forced to recline as well to get your view of the screen. I found when reclining and trying to watch something I had to crane my neck to an uncomfortable position.

I will actively not fly this plane in the future.
I avoid the DL 737-900 as much as I can now. It makes RyanAir look nice. Crammed like sardines, and that bathroom is horrible.

I never thought I'd find a plane on DL that make me look forward to an MD-88. (or a CRJ-700)
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Flew one of these on her very first revenue flight last week from ATL to DCA. Seat 3A. Like being able to easily find the power outlets. Can see the point of the cords being in the way if someone wants out to the aisle, but not bothered by it personally. Will be nice when the screens can tilt.

Seat comfort was generally good, I thought. I acknowledge I was only sitting in the seat for an hour and 20 minutes or so.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie

Why do you want to twirl around in there? Not so sure the water you saw on the floor was from the sink. I have never understood folks using those BE socks internationally. Bathroom floor water soaks right through!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ellis01
I avoid the DL 737-900 as much as I can now. It makes RyanAir look nice. Crammed like sardines, and that bathroom is horrible.

I never thought I'd find a plane on DL that make me look forward to an MD-88. (or a CRJ-700)
I'd be curious if you've ever really flown FR.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Flew in coach on this guy for the first time today. DTW - SFO. I didn't realize how bad 11D is. It shows as a bulk head, and you are able to stretch out around the coat closet. But the seat is crazy narrow and has the tray table in the arm rest + the foldup IFE on which I crushed my shin 3 different times when standing up to either stretch or let someone out. I also boarded rather early due to having to put both my briefcase and roll-aboard in the overhead. I felt like I was part of the stream of people boarding and the FAs had the coat closet door open further in your space (this happens again near landing, obviously). Unfortunately my only other option was to stick in a middle seat.

It wasn't bad in FC, but for coach it's just so cramped. FA said it has only 4 less seats than the 757 while being much shorter and more narrow.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by azeckel
It wasn't bad in FC, but for coach it's just so cramped. FA said it has only 4 less seats than the 757 while being much shorter and more narrow.
The cabin width is identical to the 757 -- 11 ft 7 in. But the 737-900 is 17 ft 1 in shorter. (See here and here.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.