Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Museum Renovation Update

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by atldlff
Quote:

Originally Posted by DiverDave

We should have a mini-Do when it re-opens.

David

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdnyc

Agreed. If there are opening day festivities, it would be a good day to visit. So many of us have shared some good times in those rooms.

I am planning to attend the Grand Re-opening. I will share the details as the date gets closer. It would be great to see you there too!
Have they announced the date?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
To be 100% honest, I am not sure if there is already an active entry point on the east side of the campus, but I will find out. I know the 757 at the entrance will certainly be a new addition, and most likely visible from the ATL airport. If I recall correctly, I do think there will be some dedicated parking allocated for the museum, but I think the same security procedures will apply. I will ask more details on my next visit.

P.S. I am planning to be there when they tow the DC-3 back from its temporary home at the TOC. It is probably the last time that aircraft will ever be out of the museum.
Thx for checking, MrWeezer & I were trying to figure out if there might be a new access point from Loop Road (or another road) w dedicated (non security?) parking for the museum vs going in by the GO. I tend to be directionally challenged so the perspective on the video seemed to come in from a different point than I recall.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
Originally Posted by airwaysjack
I haven't heard an official date yet, but I was told the renovation would be completed in May. My best guess would be sometime in June or July.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:22 pm

To be 100% honest, I am not sure if there is already an active entry point on the east side of the campus, but I will find out. I know the 757 at the entrance will certainly be a new addition, and most likely visible from the ATL airport. If I recall correctly, I do think there will be some dedicated parking allocated for the museum, but I think the same security procedures will apply. I will ask more details on my next visit.

P.S. I am planning to be there when they tow the DC-3 back from its temporary home at the TOC. It is probably the last time that aircraft will ever be out of the museum.
Unless something has changed they were looking at starting back flying her again, even with the changes to the museum.
but that could now be off the table. (shame if true)

Also, along with the 757 and Ship 102 seen in the video, a DC9 will also be sent over. I can't remember the ship number off the top of my head.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:30 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I am planning to attend the Grand Re-opening. I will share the details as the date gets closer. It would be great to see you there too!
That would be great!

David
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:54 am

Here are some additional information and answers to the questions above.

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
From the video it looks like there will be a new road/entry point into the museum - is that correct or is my perspective off? Will that eliminate the need to get your name on a list to pass thru the security gate?
There will be a new entrance on the east side of campus off of Woolman Place, where the 757 (Ship 608, by the way) is shown on the video. I’m not sure of the details about this one yet but my understanding is that it will be a more public entrance and you will not need to make a prior reservation before entering.

Originally Posted by airwaysjack
The official grand re-opening will be on June 17, 2014, for Delta’s 85th and I believe it will be an invitation only event. The Museum will be completely open to the public starting on June 18th, 2014.

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Unless something has changed they were looking at starting back flying her again, even with the changes to the museum.
but that could now be off the table. (shame if true)

Also, along with the 757 and Ship 102 seen in the video, a DC9 will also be sent over. I can't remember the ship number off the top of my head.
You are correct, a DC-9 will also be added to the Museum. At the present time, there are no plans to fly the DC-3. (I was disappointed to hear that also).

On a final note, if you purchase a personalized brick that is mentioned in #1 above, by March 15, 2014, it will be in the initial installation which will be ready for the opening. Bricks purchased after that date will be installed in phases after the opening.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 9:49 am

Thanks.

I forgot how good the 757 looked in the old paint scheme.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:02 am

Programs: -- DL DM, MR Lifetime TE, HH Diamond, National Something???
They selling bricks to throw through the windows? Can we attach notes or messages to the bricks? Put me down for a dozen.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
If Lane412000 is correct, I'll take a whole pallet!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:41 pm

Quick update

Here is a quick update as the final renovations are about one month away from completion at the Delta Museum. The interior of both hangars are now completely heated and air conditioned - A fantastic new feature!

New exterior of the Hangers:

Exterior of the New Entrance to the Museum (it will soon have an awning supported by 757 Landing Gear):

Entrance and new Museum Store:

Renovated Hangar #2 with the Spirit of Delta:

New Jetway to the Spirit of Delta:

Boeing 737-200 Simulator now located in the Museum:

View of the Spirit of Delta from the new Mezzanine Level:

What's next - Adding a full size Delta 757 and DC-9 at the new east entrance.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Here is a quick update as the final renovations are about one month away from completion at the Delta Museum...
Funny timing, earlier today a DL friend posted a pic of the Spirit of Delta from the outside thru the window (from the parking lot). Looking good! Hoping to make it out for a preview of our bricks next month. ^
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:40 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Thanks for the update - can't wait to see the finished product!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Personally, I'd like to see a display of every CRJ (-100/200) that DL owns. If they're parked at a museum, they can't be flying!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Personally, I'd like to see a display of every CRJ (-100/200) that DL owns. If they're parked at a museum, they can't be flying!
I'm one of the few who like the CRJ but I think I nice tribute/retirement would be to park them around Concourse C at CVG and turn it into the Delta Connection Museum. I can dream...
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:16 pm

Update

Quick update with pictures:

Today was the “big move”! A retired Delta 757-200 (painted in the one of my favorite classic liveries) and a DC-9 was moved across the street from the ATL Airport to their new permanent home at the Delta Museum located at Delta’s Corporate Office.

Quite fun to watch, and a big operation to get the aircraft across the street, which involved closing the street to all traffic, placing metal pallets and steel rebar to get the plane over the curbs and grassy areas, as well as removing a part of the airport security fencing, light poles, etc. For those traveling through ATL, if your plane uses the North Runways, you should be able to catch a glimpse of the 757.

The DC-9 went first:

Then the 757-200:

Final Pass by the Delta Museum

Airplane Parking Lot Shuffle:

Final parking spot for the 757 complete with a new east entrance (still under construction)

Final parking spot for the DC-9, complete with trees and picnic area

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.