Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Waived Award Ticket Redeposit Fee for PMs and DMs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waived Award Ticket Redeposit Fee for PMs and DMs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The rules were stated just the opposite for me: booked as gold and fee waived when platinum. I wasn't the only one with that outcome and interpretation.

This is a misunderstanding (Plat member but miles not from Plat/Diamond account?) or a rule change.
Same. Either the agent is wrong or this is a rule change.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, HH Diamond
I also booked flights as a GM and was able to make free changes when I became PM.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by javabytes
Same. Either the agent is wrong or this is a rule change.
The text on delta.com could be interpreted to mean that the status at booking is what matters:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...vice-fees.html

Waived for Award Tickets redeemed from a Diamond and Platinum Medallion members' account.

David
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
The reverse has been true as well, i.e. booked as PM/DM and dropped to GM or lower, and changes/redeposits required a $150 fee.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: DL FO
Has anyone had recent experience with this?

I am currently a PM and would like to book an award ticket for later this year, but will drop to FO in February. Assuming no drastic schedule changes, would I in theory be able to cancel/redeposit without the fee since my award ticket was booked from the account of a PM? Or would I be charged the $150?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BringBackTWA
Has anyone had recent experience with this?

I am currently a PM and would like to book an award ticket for later this year, but will drop to FO in February. Assuming no drastic schedule changes, would I in theory be able to cancel/redeposit without the fee since my award ticket was booked from the account of a PM?
No. Status at time of redeposit is the key.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
This is another example of how an official DL representative (we are still told that they monitor this site) could clarify and clear up any misconceptions just by providing an authoritative post here.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:52 pm

Can anyone clarify: if I, a PM, book an award ticket for my girlfriend with my miles, can I take advantage of the redeposit waiver? Or do I need to be the name on the ticket?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by capjessop
Can anyone clarify: if I, a PM, book an award ticket for my girlfriend with my miles, can I take advantage of the redeposit waiver? Or do I need to be the name on the ticket?
Yes you can. It is all about the status of the member whose account the miles to pay for the ticket came from, and not at all about the name on the ticket.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, MAR gold
Any recent data points on fee waiver (or not) for award ticket made as a PM but cancelled as a GM? Unfortunately, I'm going to drop from PM to GM in January, and I have award tickets for flights in March that I don't know if I can take. Should I assume a Jan 31st decide-by without fee or not?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:47 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by essexnyc
Should I assume a Jan 31st decide-by without fee or not?
Yes you should decide by Jan 31. Otherwise you will pay the change/cancel fee.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
faced a bit of an issue trying to change an award ticket yesterday....

i had booked a domestic first class award ticket for my father from my account....he was scheduled to fly out of dfw around 2pm but a day prior to the flight he found out his early morning meeting had to be postponed by a few hours so he won't be able to make his flight....

i called the diamond desk to have him moved to a later flight that was to leave around 6pm....the first agent i spoke to said that since the award was booked from a diamond's account i could make the change for free but i could only make the change under 24 hours to the flight....i pointed out that it was after 2pm the day before the flight so there were less than 24 hours left....he said it had to be 24 hours to the new flight time so i had to wait till 6pm....that didn't seem right to me but i just decided to call back after 4 hours....

i called back around 6pm & asked to make the ticket change but the second agent said i could not make the change for free because i was not traveling & it was the passenger's status & not the account status that determined the waived award charges....i tried to explain that the t&c said that it had to be from a diamond member's account but she wouldn't budge from her position....she further said that there was award space in the first class cabin but it wouldn't be an even exchange & i would have to pay the difference in miles as well....so $75 & 20k miles to change the ticket....i just hung up & decided to try one more time....

the 3rd agent i spoke with was brilliant....heard my request, put me on hold for a couple of minutes & changed the ticket without any fuss....i told her about my earlier 2 calls & she said both agents were wrong & if i come across such a situation again then i should ask for a supervisor....
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Couple of things.

1)sounds like you or they (or both) are confused over making a change to award vs SDC. You can't make changes less the 72hrs from departure. You can still SDC or SDS if qualified.
2)for SDC its 24 hrs prior to scheduled flight, not new one.
3)for SDC it's the passengers status that determines if fee or no fee.
4)However, for redeposit of miles its the account miles came from.

Thus sounds like there was confusion on what process was being used.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by flyerCO
1)sounds like you or they (or both) are confused over making a change to award vs SDC. You can't make changes less the 72hrs from departure. You can still SDC or SDS if qualified.
no confusion here....it was definitely a same day confirmed change....

2)for SDC its 24 hrs prior to scheduled flight, not new one.
that's what i thought as well but the agent insisted its 24 hours to the new flight....

3)for SDC it's the passengers status that determines if fee or no fee.
the 3rd agent told me that this was true for revenue tickets but for award tickets its the status of the account from where the ticket has been booked....

4)However, for redeposit of miles its the account miles came from.
no confusion here....

Thus sounds like there was confusion on what process was being used.
perhaps....but at the end of the day it all worked out so i'm happy about that....

Last edited by Keyser; Oct 30, 2017 at 9:01 am
Old Oct 30, 2017, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Keyser
no confusing here....it was definitely a same day confirmed change....

that's what i thought as well but the agent insisted its 24 hours to the new flight....

the 3rd agent told me that this was true for revenue tickets but for award tickets its the status of the account from where the ticket has been booked....

no confusion here....

perhaps....but at the end of the day it all worked out so i'm happy about that....
Maybe the agents were confused if you didn't ask to SDC, but rather said that you wanted to change/redeposit an award ticket.

However, father should have SDCed directly into FC at T-24 with respect to the original flight departure time. He was lucky that the seats didn't vanish during the HUCA process; you shouldn't have waited four hours.

The SDC fee for nonelites ($50?) should have been charged as the traveler isn't an elite.

For SDC, the same rules apply whether or not one has an award ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.