Wiki Posts
Search

Didn't take long to add to other hubs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold
Didn't take long to add to other hubs

MEM closed a few days ago, and now DL has added flights to all of their other hubs, some are just more flights to existing routes and some are resuming old service. It's not a huge increase, but I definitely noticed some new flights at DTW, MSP, and *gasp* CVG! Of course there's a gazillion flights from MEM to ATL to shuttle those O/D passengers to the mega-hub.

We've beat this dead horse up over and over. I am aware that Delta tried to "make MEM work" in several ways, such as trying to become what DFW used to be for them. However, I can't help but think that they didn't put much effort into trying to get it to work, as they seem to have wasted no time in re-directing their passenger flow.

Oh well, it doesn't affect me too much, but I will miss flying through that airport. Maybe I'll make a trip to visit Memphis just for fun, assuming I can cough up enough money for the ticket price!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 8:34 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
huh??
Old Sep 8, 2013, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Spyro
However, I can't help but think that they didn't put much effort into trying to get it to work, as they seem to have wasted no time in re-directing their passenger flow.
If it wasn't for the proper direction of their passenger flow, there would be no need for hubs at all. I am not sure about the "effort into trying to get it to work". They aren't playing football, if they don't think it will work then it isn't even worth playing the game....even though they have for a long time since the merger.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
MEM just never had enough local outbound traffic. I still wish Delta would go back to Dallas.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by sdadept
MEM just never had enough local outbound traffic. I still wish Delta would go back to Dallas.
Agreed. The DFW metroplex has a tremendously higher number of local traffic compared to MEM, and many of us Texas-based folk would love the DFW hub again. However I seriously doubt that'll happen anytime soon since AA and WN seem to have that market lock stock and barrel. DL coming back to DFW would be like AA making a hub in ATL. I did talk to a DL DFW employee a month ago and he heard DL was trying to get a few "non-hub" routes from DFW, like some Florida leisure routes and a few others, but that was just hearsay and was certainly not confirmed. If that's the case, then I think DL might be able to support those routes since evidently there's still alot of old Delta loyalty in the area, but they'll probably never make a true hub again.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:46 pm

Talking

Judging by the upgrade lists out of DFW, there is definitely some Delta loyalty!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 6:55 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by emrdoc
Judging by the upgrade lists out of DFW, there is definitely some Delta loyalty!
Preach it brother....I can guarantee you I am not the only DM flying out of DFW on Delta....
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Flew through MEM yesterday, and it was like a ghost town. One of the B wings has been shut down completely. Of course, my travel partner and I had the Sky Club mostly to ourselves. In an ideal world, they would keep RDU-MEM and upgrade the plane to a 717, but that's probably asking a lot under the circumstances.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveNC
In an ideal world, they would keep RDU-MEM and upgrade the plane to a 717, but that's probably asking a lot under the circumstances.
That really isn't something I picture in an ideal world.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by DaveNC
Flew through MEM yesterday, and it was like a ghost town. One of the B wings has been shut down completely. Of course, my travel partner and I had the Sky Club mostly to ourselves. In an ideal world, they would keep RDU-MEM and upgrade the plane to a 717, but that's probably asking a lot under the circumstances.
What's the under/over on DL keeping the club open?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:15 am
cfw

Programs: UA, DL, LH, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by Spyro
many of us Texas-based folk would love the DFW hub again. However I seriously doubt that'll happen anytime soon since AA and WN seem to have that market lock stock and barrel.
All the more reason to compete in Houston. United has cornered that market squarely, and they don't have the product to back it up. AF and KL are the bulk of the SkyTeam presence there, and would benefit from a better feeder system.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The more mega a hub becomes, the more fortress-like it becomes and the less choice for consumers, thus higher fares.

It's not that DL did or didn't "try" at MEM, it's that MEM made no sense.

The good news is that the Club is almost empty today. The bad news is that tomorrow it will be empty and the day after that closed.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:21 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
MEM still operates a Cramped Regional Jet (CR2 ) for the 400+ mile flight to ORD. No thanks. It's half-assed "service" like this that results in a negative feedback loop resulting in removal of the route.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Spiff
MEM still operates a Cramped Regional Jet (CR2 ) for the 400+ mile flight to ORD. No thanks. It's half-assed "service" like this that results in a negative feedback loop resulting in removal of the route.
I agree with that. Business travelers remember that kind of stuff and they usually make up 60% of the revenue.

Anyone have some history on the gate leases? I'm assuming by now DL has abandoned them? I would guess they slow played it to make sure there wasn't an opening while the airport was still viable to other airlines.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Also the 400+ mile route MEM-IAH. Hopefully DL will be true to their statement that the CR2s will be relegated to small markets so that these routes will see an upgrade instead of simply being cut.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.