Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A319 and A320 fleet to be reconfigured, AVOD for A319s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A319 and A320 fleet to be reconfigured, AVOD for A319s

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Jet Doctor
Watch for future seat reductions in a certain favorite narrowbody.
Well let's see...

You don't seem to be referring to the A319/A320s
The 737s are nobody's favorite.
The D95s are going away.
The M88s and M90s are already around 10%, which seems to be DL's target.
The 757s stick out like a sore thumb in this regard... upwards of 14% in some cases.

My guess is a reduction in F on the 757s to the 20F range, more in line with the 739s. Rip out the lavs and galley between F and Y and I'm sure some MBA has already figured out how many more Y seats you can squeeze in front of doors 2L/R.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by NWAFA
Also, if the seating capacity rises above 150, an additional FA will be needed. I believe that these planes can now be operated more cost effectively with the mods.
Seems like a foregone conclusion that the A320 is going to get an additional FA, being at 150 seats already in the current configuration. I doubt the A319 is going to get there, given it maxes out at 156 in a cramped all-Y config. Even Spirit only manages 145.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Who needs those pesky galleys or lavs when tasking a 320 or 319 on a max range flight. Pax can just hold it for 5 hours right? I'm sure FAs will be 'excited' to work with an even more cramped galley too.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:10 pm

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
Originally Posted by rylan
Whats to be excited about? The info said the 319s are getting AVOD... 320s are just getting more seats in Y which means less legroom and less upgrade chance.
Excited for the A319 enhancements. I have given up long ago ever thinking upgrades would be favorable on these planes.

Unfortunately the routes I fly these days the airbus is about my only choice.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
Though I thought there was talk of an "enhancement" for the A320.
Overhead video, perhaps?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by Delta 764
Overhead video, perhaps?
Originally at NW, we did have individual screens that dropped down. The main equipment the last row of seats a/c L. The equipment didn't work well. The last row of seats was replaced and more compact video equipment was installed in the last overhead bin a/c L. It was also about that time the fleet had individual phones were in the seat backs. Only two people could use a phone at a time or weren't used because the price was too high. They also had problems with reliability.

In the end NW scrapped both systems and phones.

That was a long time ago. Maybe equipment has become more reliable. What I was hearing was a "scaled down" version of AVOD. I have no clue what that means.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

That was a long time ago. Maybe equipment has become more reliable. What I was hearing was a "scaled down" version of AVOD. I have no clue what that means.
Panasonic offers the DMPES overhead video system, which has the videos stored digitally onboard the aircraft instead of on videotapes. Perhaps this is what DL would go with if overhead video were to be installed on the A320s.

BTW, do you happen to know what models of seats will be installed?
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by javabytes
Rip out the lavs and galley between F and Y and I'm sure some MBA has already figured out how many more Y seats you can squeeze in front of doors 2L/R.
Sacrilege. The FOs mustn't be allowed forward of doors 2L/R.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:43 pm

Panasonic offers the DMPES overhead video system, which has the videos stored digitally onboard the aircraft instead of on videotapes. Perhaps this is what DL would go with if overhead video were to be installed on the A320s.

BTW, do you happen to know what models of seats will be installed?
At his point, it would be speculation on my part if DL does anything with the IFE.

As for seats, it sounded to me that they would use a "streamlined" seat. What model or brand I don't know. All I know is that the seats aren't as bulky. But again, that would be more speculation on my part. I'm not a Mech and a lot of the terminology just goes over my head.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

At his point, it would be speculation on my part if DL does anything with the IFE.

As for seats, it sounded to me that they would use a "streamlined" seat. What model or brand I don't know. All I know is that the seats aren't as bulky. But again, that would be more speculation on my part. I'm not a Mech and a lot of the terminology just goes over my head.
The 739ERs are getting the B/E Aerospace Pinnacle in Y, while the 717s are getting the Weber/Zodiac 5751, both with winged headrests. Also, the 753s are also slated to get the B/E Aerospace Pinnacle, also with winged headrests. Most likely it would be one of these two models for Y.

Of course, DL could surprise us and go with the Recaro BL3520 or the Aviointeriors Columbus Three instead. I actually wouldn't be very surprised if DL chooses Recaro, considering NW historically split its seating business between Recaro and B/E Aerospace (PMDL mostly bought seats from Weber and B/E Aerospace).
Old Aug 4, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Overhead video, perhaps?
The only thought that popped into my mind is Delta's system they announced that would allow for streaming of IFE options on mobile devices. The Airbus fleet already have had the Gogo wifi installed. How much more would it take to install the system that streams the IFE? Just a random thought and my two cents.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 4:41 am

Programs: DL, AA
Doubt it. In fact, it is quite possible the A319s will be reduced to 8F since that is what AA and UA are going for.
Considering the 717 has 12 F, the evidence isn't there for a reduction to 8 F. Not to say it can't happen, but IMO the 717 indicates otherwise.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 5:43 am

Well let's see...

The 757s stick out like a sore thumb in this regard... upwards of 14% in some cases.

My guess is a reduction in F on the 757s to the 20F range, more in line with the 739s. Rip out the lavs and galley between F and Y and I'm sure some MBA has already figured out how many more Y seats you can squeeze in front of doors 2L/R.
"Due to the overwhelming popularity of Economy Comfort......."

Last edited by Jet Doctor; Aug 4, 2013 at 6:08 am
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:14 am

Well let's see...

You don't seem to be referring to the A319/A320s
The 737s are nobody's favorite.
The D95s are going away.
The M88s and M90s are already around 10%, which seems to be DL's target.

Doesn't take an MBA. Before 2002 the Northwest 757s had a set of coach seats forward of doors 2L/R. The first class cabin had 14 seats if I remember correctly - one row of 2 and 3 of 4. I think a few other airlines did this in the 80s.

No one paid any real notice to the increased first class cabin when it was rolled out the first time. NW didn't even mention it.

Then there is US running 8 or 14 seats...but no extra legroom economy seats.

And the original Continental 757-300...with only 12 seats and the massive coach cabin.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jet Doctor
"Due to the overwhelming popularity of Economy Comfort......."

Exactly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.