Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 5, 2013, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
DELTA Link: Same Day Travel Changes | Delta Air Lines [as per web site July 2015, 2015]
Same-Day Confirmed

When You Need to Change Your Flight

Eligibility
  • You can use the same-day confirmed option for travel within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection® flights.
  • You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight; however changes are limited to flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure.
  • If you have a flexible fare (usually a refundable ticket), you may be able to change your itinerary without a fee.
  • If you have an Economy fare, you can only be rebooked in the same fare class as your original flight.
  • If you have a premium cabin fare, -- including Delta One™, First and Business Class -- you may make a same-day confirmed change as long as a seat is available in the premium cabin
  • Award Tickets are same-day confirmed eligible.
  • Origin, destination or co-terminal (LGA to JFK) changes are not same-day confirmed eligible.
  • Same-Day Confirmed changes from connection to non-stop flights are not permitted.
  • Basic Economy fare (E) for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015 are not eligible for same-day confirmed travel changes.

Fees

Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members:
  • $50 USD Same-Day Change Fee - If your requested flight is same-day confirmed eligible
  • Applicable Change Fee -These fees vary based on your ticket and its fare rules, and will be due if you have a restricted fare and your requested flight is outside of same-day travel eligibility. Change fees are dictated by the fare rules.

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members:
  • $50 USD Same-Day Confirmed Fee Waived - If the requested flight is same-day confirmed eligible the $50 fee will be waived.
  • Applicable Change Fee - These fees vary based on your ticket and its fare rules, and will be due if you have a restricted fare and your requested flight is outside of same-day travel eligibility. Change fees are dictated by the fare rules.

Basic Economy (E) fares are not eligible to make same-day confirmed or same-day standby travel changes, regardless of Medallion or other elite status, for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015.

Additional Rules
  • Medallion complimentary upgrades do not transfer to your rebooked ticket.
  • Trip Extras or seats purchased for the original flight do not transfer to your rebooked ticket. Please note the original terms and conditions for Trip Extras, Delta Comfort+™ and Preferred Seats.
  • The same-day travel program is subject to change and the rules in effect on the date of travel will apply.
Same-Day Standby

When There Are No Seats Available

If you are unable to secure a new flight(s) with the same-day confirmed option, you can choose to fly standby with the same-day standby option.

Eligibility
  • Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available.
  • You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight.
  • Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members may only fly same-day standby for a flight that is earlier than their original flight.
  • Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members may standby for a flight any time on the same day as their original flight.
  • No routing changes are allowed.
  • Eligible same-day standby flights must be on the same day as the original flight, starting 12am of the same day to 11:59pm the same day.
  • Change is only permitted based on the original ticketed paid cabin. For example, customers confirmed in RU class may only standby for flights in the Economy cabin
  • Basic Economy fare (E) for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015 are not eligible for same-day standby travel changes.
  • You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights.
  • You may request a same-day flight change up to 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight.

Fees

Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members:
  • $50 USD Standby Fee - Standby fee will be collected, but your card will not be charged until you are assigned a seat on the standby flight

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members:
  • $50 USD Standby Fee Waived

Basic Economy (E) fares are not eligible to make same-day confirmed or same-day standby travel changes, regardless of Medallion or other elite status, for flights flown on or after February 1, 2015.

Additional Rules
  • Standby not permitted to/from Canada
  • Standby permitted for multi-segment flights. Customers must stand by for each individual flight segment. Standby fees are not refundable once you are assigned a seat on the first standby segment.
Same-Day Standby Upgrades

The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings:
  • Within North America (except JFKLAX, JFKSEA and JFKSFO).
  • To/from Aruba, Bermuda, Grand Cayman (Cayman Islands), Los Cabos (Mexico), Montego Bay (Jamaica), Nassau (Bahamas), Providenciales (Turks and Caicos), San Juan (Puerto Rico), and St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands)
  • Between Atlanta and Costa Rica, St. Maarten and St. Lucia
  • Between Cancun (Mexico)and Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Indianapolis, Memphis and Minneapolis

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska
Code:
Traveling                 Y/B/M Fares     S/H/Q/K/L Fares  U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles            $49             $119             $169

501 to 1,000 miles        $79             $149             $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles      $99             $209             $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles      $149            $249             $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles      $239            $269             $359

3,001 miles and up        $329            $369             $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling               Y/B/M Fares  S/H/Q/K/L Fares  U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles    $239         $269             $359

3,001 miles and up      $329         $369             $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling                     Y / B / M / H / Q/ K Fares

0 to 500 miles                $50

501 to 1,000 miles            $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles          $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles          $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles          $225

3,001 miles and up            $350
Print Wikipost

Improvements to Same-Day Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:42 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Improvements to Same-Day Travel

We're starting a new thread because we have some updates to the New same-day confirmed and same-day standby options and we don't want them to get lost in what is now a lengthy thread.

In April we updated you on modifications to our same-day travel change program and continued to listen to your feedback after the change was made. While the modified program was designed to balance the needs of our customers and our business, we recognize the need for a few refinements based on overall feedback to the policy changes.

The same booking class (e.g. Q, K, L or U) still needs to be available for same-day confirmed changes, but we are making some modifications to give you more flexibility:
  1. Effective immediately, we will waive the $50 same-day confirmed fee for Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members. This change increases the number of free options available for same-day travel changes.

2. By late August, you will also be able to request a same-day change up to 24 hours before your original flight departure time, rather than only on your day of departure. This will better align with existing check-in reminders and make it more convenient for you.

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members may continue to stand by free of charge on your original day of departure. We also continue to offer $50 same-day confirmed and standby options for Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members.

You can find more information at delta.com/samedaytravel later this morning when we update the related delta.com pages.

Last edited by SkyMilesTeam; Jul 23, 2013 at 7:14 am
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Thanks for the "enhancement". Seriously.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:48 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles
Were starting a new thread because we have some updates to the New same-day confirmed and same-day standby options and we don't want them to get lost in what is now a lengthy thread.

In April we updated you on modifications to our same-day travel change program and continued to listen to your feedback after the change was made. While the modified program was designed to balance the needs of our customers and our business, we recognize the need for a few refinements based on overall feedback to the policy changes.

The same booking class (e.g. Q, K, L or U) still needs to be available for same-day confirmed changes, but we are making some modifications to give you more flexibility:
  1. Effective immediately, we will waive the $50 same-day confirmed fee for Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members. This change increases the number of free options available for same-day travel changes.

2. By late August, you will also be able to request a same-day change up to 24 hours before your original flight departure time, rather than only on your day of departure. This will better align with existing check-in reminders and make it more convenient for you.

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members may continue to stand by free of charge on your original day of departure. We also continue to offer $50 same-day confirmed and standby options for Silver Medallion members, general SkyMiles members and non-members.

You can find more information at delta.com/samedaytravel later this morning when we update the related delta.com pages.
Good to hear! Thank you.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
This is very good news. Still doesn't solve the P/A fare issue. But this is very positive
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
I already have been saving the $50 for SDC because I haven't been able to do it with the fare restriction
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:12 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Very nice! Hopefully, the DM phone agents will occasionally be able to waive the fare class rule, too.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
This is great, but I think in many of our cases it's the fare class that hasn't been available. My issue has been empty seats available, but not in my code I purchased. Love the 24 hour enhancement though.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Thank you very much. My wife was very happy to hear that I can now potentially get home earlier.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
We already had the waived $50 fee for SDC for flights within 3 hours -- so the change now is to extend the waiver to the entire calendar day, right?

That sounds like a good change -- since the 3 hour window made SDC otherwise unavailable for so many routes where the next/previous flight wasn't even within that window.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
This is great, but I think in many of our cases it's the fare class that hasn't been available. My issue has been empty seats available, but not in my code I purchased. Love the 24 hour enhancement though.
On my flights where I tried to do this, I run into the same thing. As I have mentioned elsewhere, on one occasion I couldn't same day confirm to an earlier flight, even with cancellations of future flights to the same destination (and thus DL needing every seat it could get later). Minor enhancement.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:21 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
A postive direction, but this is becoming a very typical Delta strategy to cut major benefits and offer back minor ones.

Thanks for the bandage, but weren't you the person who cut me?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
paging

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Yes ^ yes!

Paging DwayneSkyMiles : Before this thread gets over a thousand posts (probably in in hour or so), could you share with us the reason for the rule "exact match" on fare codes, rather than "same fare class or lower"?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:26 am

Wow, this is interesting on many levels.
First, a change after three months means something was very wrong, and they felt it immediately. A quick rectifying effort makes it seem like they admit a mistake.
Second, it's refreshing to see that somebody finally recognized that the SDC change was a huge slap in the face to elites and that while revenue is important, there are lines you shouldn't cross.
Third, it will be interesting to see the Q2 profits tomorrow. My guess is we'll see a large number. I wonder if DL underestimated its own profits, and looking to do some elite damage-control by waiving the $50 fee, in sacrifice of some future revenue, since other revenue sources are performing well.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
++ for changing to no fee for changing to a flight >3hrs away. It was pretty silly especially with many locations where the only option for SDC is a flight that departs >3hrs difference from the original.

++ for the upcoming change to allow SDC 24hrs in advance instead of same day. Makes it nice if you have an early flight so don't have to get up at midnight to switch to one later in the day.

---- on no change to the same fare bucket restriction. As mentioned a lot of the problems are due to that.

Also, any feedback with the A/P fare issues?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by AKC6
Yes ^ yes!

Paging DwayneSkyMiles : Before this thread gets over a thousand posts (probably in in hour or so), could you share with us the reason for the rule "exact match" on fare codes, rather than "same fare class or lower"?
If a lower booking class is open (i.e. X), then K is going to be open. There's never a time where K is closed but T is open.

Keep in mind this is from an inventory perspective, which is what matters; just because a T fare might not be selling on your exact route doesn't mean T is closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.