Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pole Vaulter: Delta Airlines Robbed Me Of My Title By Losing My Poles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DYKWIA

http://consumerist.com/2012/05/pole-...medium=twitter

A college athlete claims Delta Air Lines cost her an All-American title by losing her poles, for which she'd paid $200 in oversize baggage fees to check on her flight.
Kati, a college student in Washington, tells KATU.com she blames the airline for robbing her of her third All-American title on Friday, because they sent her poles to Atlanta instead of Colorado Springs, Colo.
Submitted for your commentary, my Flyertalk friends!
Old May 29, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by Flyer339
http://consumerist.com/2012/05/pole-...medium=twitter

Submitted for your commentary, my Flyertalk friends!
Could have been WAW instead...
Old May 29, 2012, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Flyer339

He should never have taken his hands off his pole.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
It's a she and apparently the poles were delayed by about three days. I never realized that vaulting competitions didn't require everyone to use the same poles.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Pity it was a HER.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by rapidex
Pity it was a HER.
Maybe her BO Poles, instead ?
Old May 29, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: Skyteam
You can't borrow one? I'm sure your local sporting store carries one.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's a she and apparently the poles were delayed by about three days. I never realized that vaulting competitions didn't require everyone to use the same poles.
Not sure about single events but I know that in competitions like the modern pentathlon and decathlon etc that the equipment is provided as part of a pool and the competitors take pot luck on what is provided.

Personally I'd have thought a pole was a pole. Do javlin throwers have 'personal' javlins? Ditto for the discus, hammer and shot put.

Imagine if swimmers started to take their own swimming lanes with them !
Old May 29, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would have thought that sportsmanship would suggest that her competitors should have bee willing to lend her their poles for the event....or the coach could have purchased a new pole somewhere in COS or even drive to Denver to get one. COS is a pretty sporting small city and is even home to some Olympic training center, which is its own campus catering to a number of different summer sports.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Too bad the meet didn't have a flat tire rule that would have allowed her to compete later, since her coaches got stuck in traffic in the process of retrieving the pole.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would have thought that sportsmanship would suggest that her competitors should have bee willing to lend her their poles for the event....or the coach could have purchased a new pole somewhere in COS or even drive to Denver to get one. COS is a pretty sporting small city and is even home to some Olympic training center, which is its own campus catering to a number of different summer sports.
According to the link, the coaches at some point did drive to try Denver to pick up the poles, but were too late. She did borrow other poles but there too short for her.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Originally Posted by skchin
You can't borrow one? I'm sure your local sporting store carries one.
You can, but at that level of competition, custom made poles for the athlete are a must. An inch or two difference in order to clear can cost you placement or even a title. Material, cut, weight, and height of the pole effects every user differently. Same argument can be said of skis, custom made for what event for the athlete's specialty. I pole vaulted (was not a champ at all) in high school and the standard equipment was just enough for one to learn basic technique and form.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by will2288
According to the link, the coaches at some point did drive to try Denver to pick up the poles, but were too late. She did borrow other poles but there too short for her.
I would say that the coaches should have done something earlier to acquire appropriate poles, especially if she uses a particular odd size, rather than waiting until the time that DL promised that the bag would appear in DEN.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye
You can, but at that level of competition, custom made poles for the athlete are a must. An inch or two difference in order to clear can cost you placement or even a title. Material, cut, weight, and height of the pole effects every user differently. Same argument can be said of skis, custom made for what event for the athlete's specialty. I pole vaulted (was not a champ at all) in high school and the standard equipment was just enough for one to learn basic technique and form.
Thanks for the explanation.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Not sure about single events but I know that in competitions like the modern pentathlon and decathlon etc that the equipment is provided as part of a pool and the competitors take pot luck on what is provided.

[...]

Imagine if swimmers started to take their own swimming lanes with them !
Wrong analogy. I think if you check with most competitive swimmers, you'll find they do like to travel with their own swim suits

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.