Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Quick Companion Upgrade Question - When Should Y Clear

Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...

Hi all,

I have a somewhat of an oddball situation - traveling on Y to Mexico with a non-status companion. My upgrade cleared and the flight is still X8/Z8.

The companion's upgrade, however, is still yet to clear.

Question: What is the rule for Y-fare upgrades for non-status companions?
The chart on the Rules Page provides somewhat of a limbo - it addresses medallions on Y and elites and companions on B and lower fares. However, it does not list the priority for companions on Y.

Some of the verbiage below makes one believe that the magic window is 'no sooner than' 24 hours (consistent with regular companion upgrade priority) - but shouldn't/wouldn't there be a special treatment for the full fare folks similar to medallions on Y?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by goodandclassy
Hi all,

I have a somewhat of an oddball situation - traveling on Y to Mexico with a non-status companion. My upgrade cleared and the flight is still X8/Z8.

The companion's upgrade, however, is still yet to clear.

Question: What is the rule for Y-fare upgrades for non-status companions?
The chart on the Rules Page provides somewhat of a limbo - it addresses medallions on Y and elites and companions on B and lower fares. However, it does not list the priority for companions on Y.

Some of the verbiage below makes one believe that the magic window is 'no sooner than' 24 hours (consistent with regular companion upgrade priority) - but shouldn't/wouldn't there be a special treatment for the full fare folks similar to medallions on Y?

Thanks for your thoughts!
When viewing the companion's reservation on DL.com, does it say "Upgrade Requested"? If not, call DL to get the upgrade request fixed.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Non status companions clear at t-24, it doesn't make a difference that its a y fare
Old Jul 3, 2012, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Originally Posted by mnbp
When viewing the companion's reservation on DL.com, does it say "Upgrade Requested"? If not, call DL to get the upgrade request fixed.
it did - so that was done properly

Originally Posted by mendel k
Non status companions clear at t-24, it doesn't make a difference that its a y fare
Indeed, no Y exception. Too bad!

Thank you!
Old Jul 3, 2012, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
Since it wont help with the upgrade, if you don't need it to be a y fare, refund the ticket, buy it again as a lower fare, then link the new ticket to your pnr so he'll get the companion upgrade (if available) and save money, unless it has to be a y fare
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
The DL Medallion upgrade page still omits mention of when non-Medallion companions booked in full Y class will clear.

Is it really no earlier than within 24hrs of depature? Why is the website ambiguous in this one instance?

-FlyerBeek

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.