Wiki Posts
Search

T4 at JFK-- What a Nightmare!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
T4 at JFK-- What a Nightmare!!

Had my first arrival experience at the new T4 the other day. NOT GOOD!!

This is the Terminal that Delta is touting so highly in all its promotions as the best new thing since sliced bread-- well, it just ain't so. In fact, I found it much worse than recent arrivals at T3, believe it or not!!

The Passport Control was the first place to go. They funnel US Citizens to a VERY long line, perhaps over 500 meters. The "Visitors" or non-US citizens are strangely given priority, they go straight through on the right side, to a much much shorter line!! (WHY??) In Europe, EU citizens are given priority, and non EU (as in USA) citizens get the long lines there!

The US Citizen line took 1 hour, and 5 minutes to get through. At T3, the longest I ever remember waiting at this line was 20 minutes.

Next, the Baggage Claim. Luggage was not yet off the flight, even though it was almost 90 minutes since landing!! They for some reason put 5 flights on the same carousel. Some of the other carousels had one or no flights. So this carousel was 5 deep. Then, after another 25 minutes, they announced that my flight ALSO had luggage at another carousel! This was 4 carousels away!! So one had to jockey between the 2 carousels to find their luggage! NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

So finally, after a 9 hour flight and over 2 1/2 hours at the airport to get Passport checked and luggage, exhausted, I met my ride,

T4, Bah Humbug!!

I will do my best to use AF in the future on arrival flight, T1 is so much easier!!
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:07 am

Sounds like the same exact experiences I had multiple times at the old T4.
While some of this is not directly DL's fault, it heavily influences travellers' opinion on future travel, therefore causing DL to potentially lose money.
I stay away from JFK as much as I can, and I am guessing I am not alone.

Last time I wrote in about my experience, to encourage DL to apply whatever pressure possible (if possible at all, I don't know) on CBP and ground crews to get things moving, and got a $50 voucher (was surprised..).
I thought this issue would improve with the new T4 but unfortunately it doesn't seem like it's any better.

Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by menton1
I will do my best to use AF in the future on arrival flight, T1 is so much easier!!
Not if you are in whY on the A380 and get off late.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It all depends on time of the day.

I went through T4 last week with Global Entry. Breeze through within one minute. Luggage out within five minutes.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:02 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Wow, this sounds awful

I have been avoiding JFK and CDG for years, so I have no point of reference

My beef is with the new Terminal F in ATL. Slower processing than E and then the slowest most inept checkpoint I have seen.

After 2 bad experiences I was very happy when dl.com told me my last flight would arrive at E. 15 hours later @0600 we pull into F. Ugg.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by TerryK
It all depends on time of the day.

I went through T4 last week with Global Entry. Breeze through within one minute. Luggage out within five minutes.
Yes, GE sounds like a good alternative. $100 bucks one time fee, correct?

I can see how it gets you through Passport control quickly, but how can GE help with luggage? If the luggage is not off the plane, GE seems like it won't make any difference at all. Even with GE, with my situation above it looks like I would have waited after Passport Control quite some time, and the double-carousel thing would have been the same situation as well, no?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Had my first arrival experience at the new T4 the other day. NOT GOOD!!

This is the Terminal that Delta is touting so highly in all its promotions as the best new thing since sliced bread-- well, it just ain't so.
Just flew through T4 last week and I had the same reaction. I had to check to make sure it was the same terminal that they had been bragging about. It was sooooooo mediocre - and barely newish looking. I kept thinking "did they say they spent BILLIONS on this?" The SkyClub was fairly spacious but as usual, there was a constant din of disgruntled customers incredulous that they had to pay for their beer or semi-premium-ish beverage.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Yes, GE sounds like a good alternative. $100 bucks one time fee, correct?
No, $100 every 5 yrs. Still worth it.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
That really sucks.

Just another datapoint, but I flew into T4 a couple weeks ago MXP-JFK, and my experience was the exact opposite. I took 5 minutes to get through. In fact, I beat 2 people who had global entry to the baggage claim. I went to the bathroom when I got into baggage claim, and probably didn't wait but 5 minutes for bags to come out, and mine was in the first 15 bags. Skypriority/Business class/fast walker helped me beat the rush.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by DLATL777
Not if you are in whY on the A380 and get off late.
Yep. Been there, done that. I had a 3+ hour layover to connect to DL to ATL and barely made it after how long immigration and baggage took. Thanks for the schedule change, work. I rarely have to re-enter anywhere other than ATL.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Agree, I have flown in/out of there a couple of times already and all I could say is you paid more than a billion dollar for this?

Security line was a zoo, even with the preferred line it took be 20 minutes to get through security. The gates are a very long walk from the security (I understand there was little they could do here as it is the geography of a cramped existing airport), but the terminal passages are narrow and cramped, the stores are either the normal fare at any airport and the "fancy" restaurants are of the celebrity chef variety I stay away from in the city.

The sky club was ok, the outside space was nice, but nothing special. Again, really pretty disappointing considering the cost and how much Delta has been highlighting it.

I think it's pretty damning when I see I am departing from terminal 2 and am happier with that. At least I know where everything is in that dump and the gates are right there
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Delta has NO Control over airport security lines. These lines affect ALL Carriers at T4 equally across the board. T4 is a much nicer terminal and Delta did their part by enhancing it.

As far as the baggage claim area, sounds like there are quirks they need to work out. Unclear if the workers just threw it anywhere they felt like it or there is a problem with the baggage facility at T4 or workers are untrained how to operate the facility appropriately.

Last edited by adamj023; Jul 5, 2013 at 1:18 pm
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Global Entry is your friend. And never check in bags unless it's absolutely necessary.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts
Agree, I have flown in/out of there a couple of times already and all I could say is you paid more than a billion dollar for this?
A billion dollars in New York is only like $500 million most other cities.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Terminal 4 will get better as time goes on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.