Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Another Diamond Choice Rewards Question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond

After a couple of years at Platinum, it looks like I'm going to make Diamond after my next trip in a couple of weeks. I have one question about the Choice Rewards program. The Choice Benefits page on Delta.com says "you may select two gifts when you qualify for Diamond Medallion status." Can I select the same benefit twice? The only thing on the list that I'm really interested in is the RUCs. I always travel alone so the SkyClub passes and executive level don't matter to me. I almost never travel internationally, so the Global Entry benefits are not for me. I already have a bunch of travel vouchers that I need to use before they expire, so I don't really want to add to that collection. I guess if I can't double up, I will take the bonus miles. Has anyone tried to do take the same benefit twice?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
You cannot take the same reward twice. The system will not allow it.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by maberdine
After a couple of years at Platinum, it looks like I'm going to make Diamond after my next trip in a couple of weeks. I have one question about the Choice Rewards program. The Choice Benefits page on Delta.com says "you may select two gifts when you qualify for Diamond Medallion status." Can I select the same benefit twice? The only thing on the list that I'm really interested in is the RUCs. I always travel alone so the SkyClub passes and executive level don't matter to me. I almost never travel internationally, so the Global Entry benefits are not for me. I already have a bunch of travel vouchers that I need to use before they expire, so I don't really want to add to that collection. I guess if I can't double up, I will take the bonus miles. Has anyone tried to do take the same benefit twice?
In your case I would take the RUCs and the GUCs. You can use the GUCs for hard-to-get UGs to get priority over other RUCs.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
You can select RUCs twice, once for your Platinum Choice and once for your Diamond Choice. But you can't get them twice for Diamond Status. The GUCs can be roughly equivalent however.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by maberdine
The Choice Benefits page on Delta.com says "you may select two gifts when you qualify for Diamond Medallion status." Can I select the same benefit twice?
Read the fine print at the bottom of the page :-)

"Diamond Medallion members may not select the same Choice Benefit twice for their Diamond selection. They may choose the same benefit as their Platinum selection and one of their two Diamond selections. Diamond Medallion members must select both Diamond Choice Benefits at the same time."
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
In your case I would take the RUCs and the GUCs. You can use the GUCs for hard-to-get UGs to get priority over other RUCs.
Is it published somewhere that GUCs have upgrade priority over RUCs? AFAIK DL has not documented priority rules for upgrades with instruments (as opposed to free elite upgrades).
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is it published somewhere that GUCs have upgrade priority over RUCs? AFAIK DL has not documented priority rules for upgrades with instruments (as opposed to free elite upgrades).
Now that I think of it that may be a totally unwarranted assumption on my part. More powerful instrument =/= higher priority.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
You can select RUCs twice, once for your Platinum Choice and once for your Diamond Choice. But you can't get them twice for Diamond Status. The GUCs can be roughly equivalent however.
So if you become Diamond you can select BOTH RUC and GUC's?

I'm not going to become a DM this year but am going to try next year - that would certainly be a perk...
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by DCADeltaRoadWarrior
So if you become Diamond you can select BOTH RUC and GUC's?

I'm not going to become a DM this year but am going to try next year - that would certainly be a perk...
If you become Diamond you can choose RUCs twice and GUCs once!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
The global upgrade are fantastic. I used all 4 of mine earned last year, to fly delta one to Hong Kong and Frankfurt this year. Saving around $12k.

I qualified for diamond again this August so now I have 4 in my account. Decisions decisions.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
If you become Diamond you can choose RUCs twice and GUCs once!
No, you can't. You can select 4 RUCs once (PM) and 8 RUCs or 4 GUCs once (DM). You cannot use both DM selections on upgrade certificates.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
No, you can't. You can select 4 RUCs once (PM) and 8 RUCs or 4 GUCs once (DM). You cannot use both DM selections on upgrade certificates.
Hmmm I'm pretty sure I did that one year... maybe it's because I hadn't selected my DM choices from the previous year when I made DM that year.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Hmmm I'm pretty sure I did that one year... maybe it's because I hadn't selected my DM choices from the previous year when I made DM that year.
I read your post and was hopeful, so I logged in and tried. It actually states OR in caps, and when you select the checkbox for upgrade certs it then open a second layer menu where you have to select using a button selection. 12 RUCs + 4 GUCs would be great if you could do it though! I think I'll end up going with 4 each plus 25k miles.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
I read your post and was hopeful, so I logged in and tried. It actually states OR in caps, and when you select the checkbox for upgrade certs it then open a second layer menu where you have to select using a button selection. 12 RUCs + 4 GUCs would be great if you could do it though! I think I'll end up going with 4 each plus 25k miles.
Sorry for raising your hopes. I found RUCs a bit of a dead loss, actually, so I didn't consider them this year for either PM or DM and likely forgot how I selected so many last year. The GUCs are awesome though.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:09 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
If you made PM and DM in the same year (were not DM the year before), you would be able to select RUC twice. Once for the PM choice and once for DM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.