Wiki Posts
Search

Delta newbie flight from LGA question

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Delta newbie flight from LGA question

I have my first flight with Delta - 9.41 am LGA to Bangor. I have no status (if all goes well, I'm hoping to jump ship from UA)......

With no status, no bag to check..when should i arrive at LGA for this flight? Don't know LGA at all. Any tips appreciated....
Old May 16, 2013, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you do OLCI and print your boarding pass at T-24? Do you already have a satisfactory seat assignment? For Bangor, is it a RJ?
Old May 16, 2013, 11:57 am

It will be on an Embraer or a CRJ 7. I believe that flight is a CRJ 7.

There is no reason to get to the airport super early. It's getting to the airport that can be the tricky part. Where are you coming from?
Old May 16, 2013, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll be at a midtown hotel - 35th and Lex. Thinking taxi right? When would i leave hotel? I should be able to on-line checkin , my seats ok for an RJ....
Old May 16, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
"Should be able to" do OLCI? Have you checked that you can print a boarding pass for free at your hotel? (Or maybe at your buiness appointment the afternoon before?) It makes a difference not only in that it saves time standing in line or finding a kiosk but also having the boarding pass means that DL cannot tell when you arrived at the airport, so you don't need to worry about any check in deadline, just getting to the gate before T-15 at the absolute latest.

By chance do you have GE for PreCheck?
Old May 16, 2013, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Not sure I can print - do they send boarding pass to my phone? I do have GE precheck - but can never be certain I'll get it when i need it.....
Old May 16, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Thanks, I'll be at a midtown hotel - 35th and Lex. Thinking taxi right? When would i leave hotel? I should be able to on-line checkin , my seats ok for an RJ....
Definitely use a taxi to get to LGA. From your location fastest possible time is probably around 25-30 minutes, but plan for perhaps 30-45 minutes in normal traffic.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
Definitely use a taxi to get to LGA. From your location fastest possible time is probably around 25-30 minutes, but plan for perhaps 30-45 minutes in normal traffic.
My rule is leave 2 hours before departure for midtown to LGA in the AM. I do this monthly or more and absent weather it gives plenty of time.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Thanks. Not sure I can print - do they send boarding pass to my phone? I do have GE precheck - but can never be certain I'll get it when i need it.....
DL has the iphone boarding passes from their app, but I like to have a printed version for reimbursement and just in case. Also, some airports can't yet handle the iphone boarding passes. PreCheck is now indicated near the top left on printed boarding passes and those from kiosks, but not if the boarding pass is printed by an agent. (We don't understand why.)
Old May 17, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta SM
Take a taxi from your hotel at 7:30. You will arrive at LGA by 8. Print your bp at the airport as there is never much of a wait to do so. You will get thru security by 8:20 on the regular security line.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
As others have written, you should definitely take a cab (public transportation options to LGA are mediocre) and if you leave your hotel at 7:30 AM you should be alright.

A couple of items to keep in mind:

1. While the drive from Midtown to LGA has never been a piece of cake, it is further complicated currently by a massive highway repaving project on the Grand Central Parkway. The good news is you will only need to be on the Grand Central for about one mile.

2. As others have written, security for DL at LGA is always quite rapid (on my recent trip the general security line was shorter than elite security), so this is unlikely to be a problem.

3. The only wrinkle with DL at LGA is that they now also fly out of Terminal C, so you should check to make sure the cab is dropping you off at the right terminal. In the worst case, I would go to Terminal D and walk the airside bridge to Terminal C, which doesn't take more than abnout 5 minutes.

Have a great trip!
Old May 18, 2013, 11:44 am

This is all very helpful information for me as well - I have flown into LGA a few times but I will be flying out of there for the first time in June, early on a Sunday. Glad to know security isn't ridiculous there! Wish there was a better option than a taxi, but I don't want to do mass transit because my flight is at 8 AM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.