FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Can you have a passport delivered to ATL while waiting for NRT flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1465123-can-you-have-passport-delivered-atl-while-waiting-nrt-flight.html)

Xeno May 7, 2013 2:31 pm

Can you have a passport delivered to ATL while waiting for NRT flight?

I didn't have Belarusian holidays straight - at least not how they are observed by their consulates in the USA - and at the moment if I send in my application to VisaHQ they say they could not pick up my passport with the Belarusian tourist visa until May 15.

The problem is that I leave OKC at 6 am on May 16 but I have 4 hours at ATL (9am - 1:45 pm) waiting for my flight to NRT. I have no worries about my flight onward to HKG because I have a second passport, but is there anyway that VisaHQ could have my first passport delivered to some DL desk at ATL? And I guess I have to ask that if DL misses the mark would they then forward that passport on to HKG for me?

If it matters, I am flying on a BE ticket and am looking forward to my first ride on the reconfigured 747!

Often1 May 7, 2013 3:18 pm

I would be shocked if DL would accept a delivery of a pizza let a passport. But, there is no reason why you can't make arrangements to have the passport delivered to you at a specific location on the non-sterile side of the checkpoint.

Me, I wouldn't even attempt it, but it's worth asking.

FlyAO2 May 7, 2013 3:21 pm

I am very confused by your question - you have a 2nd passport, but you need this one to go to NRT?

In either case, I would not bank on DL accepting and/or holding your passport. I've never used any of these passport/visa helpers, but usually there isn't anything they won't do for money.

I would recommend you call them and get them to meet you at ATL somewhere. You have enough time to leave the secure area, meet them, and clear security again. That is the safest bet in my book. If you cannot figure out with them a place to meet at ATL, meet them at one of the hotels at the GICC - you can take the airport train there and back

MSPeconomist May 7, 2013 3:24 pm

IIRC there is a FedEx office located land side at ATL, the sort which seems to be minimally staffed. Can you arrange to pick it up there? It's on the side of the land side food court. If I'm confused on this, it's a postal facility but I remember doing some urgent documents at ATL several years ago.

Ages ago, the NW WC reception desks would do stuff like this for people, but I don't know whether the SC would be willing or whether getting the FedEx guy airside would be a problem, but some airports do have drop boxes for FedEx in airside business centers.

If you have elite hotel status, you might check whether an airport hotel could be a delivery spot, especially if it has a business center and you've stayed there before, but of course it will take more time to get to and from the hotel. It would be a lot easier through the Westin at DTW.

Xeno May 7, 2013 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by FlyAO2 (Post 20713565)
I am very confused by your question - you have a 2nd passport, but you need this one to go to NRT?

In either case, I would not bank on DL accepting and/or holding your passport. I've never used any of these passport/visa helpers, but usually there isn't anything they won't do for money.

I would recommend you call them and get them to meet you at ATL somewhere. You have enough time to leave the secure area, meet them, and clear security again. That is the safest bet in my book. If you cannot figure out with them a place to meet at ATL, meet them at one of the hotels at the GICC - you can take the airport train there and back

VisaHQ has done wonders for me in the past, but they are located in DC and the only Belarusian Consulate open enough between now and May 15 is the one in DC.

I am saying I am not worried about missing my flight to HKG because I have a 2nd passport so I will survive the main trip even if I do not get delivery of the passport that I use the most which has my Russian visa and a few visas from Belarus already. If it is not clear, my trip to MSQ would be in the middle of a month long stay in HKG.

So bottom line then I guess would be is there a delivery agency that we could use where I have to exit the secure area in order to take delivery of my package?

Xeno May 7, 2013 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20713579)
IIRC there is a FedEx office located land side at ATL, the sort which seems to be minimally staffed. Can you arrange to pick it up there? It's on the side of the land side food court. If I'm confused on this, it's a postal facility but I remember doing some urgent documents at ATL several years ago.

I didn't see this because I will typing a response to a previous post but this is where I am now since there is so much skepticism about DL taking delivery at one of their lounges or desks.

Can anyone fill in the blanks here about what might be available that would work in my situation?

TTT May 7, 2013 3:36 pm

Any way the folks at VisaHQ can send the passport to your address in Hong Kong? If you have a month there that might be a good option. It is also possible that your passport would get there faster than you (FedEx can work wonders).

Xeno May 7, 2013 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 20713637)
Any way the folks at VisaHQ can send the passport to your address in Hong Kong? If you have a month there that might be a good option. It is also possible that your passport would get there faster than you (FedEx can work wonders).

This may actually be the safest and most cost effective way to go. Once in HKG, I have about 2 1/2 weeks before making my run to MSQ.

Thanks.

MSPeconomist May 7, 2013 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno (Post 20713661)
This may actually be the safest and most cost effective way to go. Once in HKG, I have about 2 1/2 weeks before making my run to MSQ.

Thanks.

A decent hotel in HKG where you're staying for a while in one place should make this a piece of cake providing that your visa agency and FedEx are willing to ship passports overseas.

CarmenOM May 7, 2013 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 20713637)

This seems the safest option by far. If your OKC-ATL flight were significantly delayed (we all know it happens) you could end up missing your connecting flight if you had to pick up your passport somewhere outside of security.

Xeno May 7, 2013 3:48 pm

Agree to the posts. I am teaching at a college that is part of the Chinese University so I am staying in an apartment not a hotel. However, we have easily shipped things quickly back and forth so I think we are golden now.

A further benefit is that I will not have to pay VisaHQ + the Belarusian Consulate for 1 day service as with this approach I can go with the normal 5 day service.

FT comes through again.

MSPeconomist May 7, 2013 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno (Post 20713699)
Agree to the posts. I am teaching at a college that is part of the Chinese University so I am staying in an apartment not a hotel. However, we have easily shipped things quickly back and forth so I think we are golden now.

A further benefit is that I will not have to pay VisaHQ + the Belarusian Consulate for 1 day service as with this approach I can go with the normal 5 day service.

FT comes through again.

Can you have it shipped to a responsible secretary's care at Chinese University? Or could you pick it up at a nearby FedEx office there?

Xeno May 7, 2013 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20713705)
Can you have it shipped to a responsible secretary's care at Chinese University? Or could you pick it up at a nearby FedEx office there?

I have had several exchanges with a particular department - and one person more than others - that I will depend on during my stay so I think we will be okay. I have been amazed at how fast things move back and forth from HKG. There have been no problems on my end even though the physical address of my office is a bit strange.

Xeno May 7, 2013 3:57 pm

I should add that the approach we are taking seems much better than having to mail my passport from HKG to the Belarusian Consulate in Shanghai. I don't even know how things would play out if I flew there to handle this in person.

MSPeconomist May 7, 2013 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno (Post 20713757)
I should add that the approach we are taking seems much better than having to mail my passport from HKG to the Belarusian Consulate in Shanghai. I don't even know how things would play out if I flew there to handle this in person.

I don't think you want to even think about this. Remember too that you would need a visa to enter China unless you can invent some triangular trip and do transit without visa, but HKG-SHA/PVG-HKG would not work. Also, many countries do not permit you to obtain visas in third countries unless you are a legal permanent resident.