Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

It appears JFK T2 will be going away as well

Old May 4, 2013, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

I was chatting with someone at the T4X exhibit in NYC and she mentioned something I had heard previously from someone at the Port Authority: DL's plan is to eventually move all remaining flights to T4. Apparently, there's a concurrent plan to expand T1 into the T2 space.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Where did you hear this? How? Is this possible that they will be demolished the T2?

I think they will have expansion more new gates. Appears DL will takeover all T4 concourse. I wasn't sure if some airlines who will moved. I wasn't aware of it.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
They would have to expand T4 again or significantly downsize JFK operations if DL were to move all flights to T4. With the closure of T3 and the expansion of T4, there will be no net gain of DL gates.

Not to say T2 is not facing the wrecking ball - I've read rumors here to that effect. But DL simply moving all operations to T4 is something I've never heard. An expanded T1 with an airside connector to T4 like the one originally planned from T2 would seem more plausible.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Oakshadow
They would have to expand T4 again....
That is the plan...to extend T4 even more (poor Harlem will be horrified...see this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...r-parents.html) and add an RJ section at the very end.

When they first released the picture of the expanded T4 plan they accidentally leaked the other image showing the phase II...but only officially released it when the expanded-expanded T4 (Phase II) was approved....

Image:
http://delta.thedigitalcenter.com/as...e-ii-expansion

What has NOT been officially announced is that T2 will also be demolished...HOWEVER given that they have officially announced they will NOT be building a connector between T2 and T4....the writing was on the wall....
Old May 5, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Are you complaining about T2 which is possibly the worst terminal in the USA being torn down? What am I missing?
Old May 5, 2013, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Terminal 2 is indeed wretched. It is old and poorly laid out. Unlike T3 (which was also quite wretched) it doesn't have an iota of architectural value (T2 looks like an oversized 1960's aluminum shed).

Seating area at the gates are minimal. Partially as a result of its configuration, the security is glacially slow, perhaps the worst of any terminal in America.

Also, there are only a maximum of 11 gates at T2, so I don't imagine that would be too hard to add on to the T4 expansion.

Additionally, it would be wonderful to have the entire DL operation at JFK under one roof...especially since the distance between T2 and T4 is much greater than between T2 and T3 (which at least is walkable).
Old May 5, 2013, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by doglover
Are you complaining about T2 which is possibly the worst terminal in the USA being torn down? What am I missing?
Yes, they will torn it down. Because the entire terminal 2 is so horrible. I think it's time to be demolished it.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
T4 will eventually get the T2 RJ land moved over, but I still don't see where the rest of the gates will go unless they have plans for a phase 3 to expand the other side of T4 even more. That would end up with an enormous terminal that would likely have the worst mile long connection experience to get from the end of RJ land to the end of the other side.
Old May 6, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: DM/3MM
I was told the same thing at T4X over the weekend. The plan is "eventually" to get to airlines in the T4 A pier (except for Virgin Atlantic) to move to T1 or T2, and Delta would have the entire T4 to themselves. There was no timeline, as there are a lot of negotiations between the PA and the individual airlines.

I asked if this was why they didn't build the connector to T2. Was told no, it was because the connector was going to cost three times what the bus setup would cost. They are aware that the buses are in awful shape, the T2 to T4 experience is less than desireable, so they will be investing in better buses and creating an overall better connection experience.
Old May 6, 2013, 7:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Overall better connection experience? A fancy new bus is still a bus. No thanks.
Old May 6, 2013, 7:34 am

Programs: NW Plat, Hilton, Avis
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Terminal 2 is indeed wretched. It is old and poorly laid out. Unlike T3 (which was also quite wretched) it doesn't have an iota of architectural value (T2 looks like an oversized 1960's aluminum shed).

Seating area at the gates are minimal. Partially as a result of its configuration, the security is glacially slow, perhaps the worst of any terminal in America.

Also, there are only a maximum of 11 gates at T2, so I don't imagine that would be too hard to add on to the T4 expansion.

Additionally, it would be wonderful to have the entire DL operation at JFK under one roof...especially since the distance between T2 and T4 is much greater than between T2 and T3 (which at least is walkable).

Agreed about T2 being awful with its stained ceiling tiles and old fluorescent fixtures. T3, while also cramped and convoluted does have that retro PanAm look -- nostalgic but not at all practical in the 21st Century.

But T3 wasn't convoluted before the days of "modern" security. And, while sitting in the elevated T2 SkyClub, one can see how one building had to be divided into landside/airside to handle security.

The two-level space is divided across the entire floor by a wall and TSA check, but the upper area is separated by a big net wall-to-wall across the entire space.

It's a reminder that decades ago, when fewer people traveled by air and terrorists weren't targeting aviation, families could go right to the gate to say goodbye or greet arriving loved ones. Curb to gate was probably about 1 min or so. Can't imagine.

Last edited by bdnyc; May 6, 2013 at 3:54 pm
Old May 6, 2013, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Overall better connection experience? A fancy new bus is still a bus. No thanks.
Not just that, but a 30 min connection experience since odds are you'll have to wait for the bus too.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Not just that, but a 30 min connection experience since odds are you'll have to wait for the bus too.
Yes, and they are aware of that as well. They know the current experience is awful. And even with a better experience, it will still be problematic until they tear down T3, as you currently need to go around it, get near taxiways, etc.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:10 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
I suppose the AirTrain station for T2/3 will just sit unused for a while then.

I suppose if DL takes over all of T4, they'd probably have to have a connector between A and B.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Pathfinder813
I suppose the AirTrain station for T2/3 will just sit unused for a while then.

I suppose if DL takes over all of T4, they'd probably have to have a connector between A and B.
T4 is one terminal and the A and B piers are connected airside.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.