Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by jsmith50
...4. Supposedly, cost increases of memberships were due to increasing labor costs, again due at least in part, to DL outsourcing staffing...
It don't understand -- why would anyone outsource if it raises costs?
Old May 14, 2013, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by DLCorpGuy
Delta Sky Clubs are changing the selection of both complimentary and for-purchase premium alcoholic beverages beginning tomorrow. Complimentary well-known alcohol brands will still be provided at the Club just as they have been.

Altering our complimentary offerings will enable us to expand our portfolio of premium for-purchase products and maintain complimentary spirits, beer and wine as we continue to invest in the overall Club experience. We review our Club offerings periodically so that we are able to make changes based on customer feedback, financial considerations and other factors including the variety of options we offer our members.

The new offerings are comparable to house/well brands in other airport lounges.
  • Complimentary spirits: Vodka - Gordon's; Gin – Gordon’s; Rum - Myers's Platinum; Scotch – Scoresby; Bourbon - Jack Daniel's; Sweet Vermouth - Martini & Rossi; Extra Dry Vermouth - Martini & Rossi.
  • Complimentary beer: Budweiser and Miller Lite
  • Complimentary wine: no changes to current wine offerings
Other brands will be available through our for-purchase options available through our Luxury Bar. Our goal is to offer members quality products and services at reasonable prices that are competitive with other airport lounges while continuing to provide good value for membership.
http://youtu.be/n7zfnbdyAW8
Old May 14, 2013, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bigx0
Poor thought and lack of oversight
Old May 14, 2013, 8:13 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Succinct, yet correct.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I appreciate the communication, DLCorpGuy. However, frankly, what you wrote is hogwash. Here's your marketing speak followed by reality:

Complimentary well-known alcohol brands will still be provided at the Club just as they have been.
We're serving you brands well-known to be cheap and sure to induce a headache so that you'll be motivated to spend more money on a decent drink.

Altering our complimentary offerings will enable us to expand our portfolio of premium for-purchase products and maintain complimentary spirits, beer and wine as we continue to invest in the overall Club experience.
We want to make even more money from you, our loyal customers, as we continue to disinvest in the Club experience.

We review our Club offerings periodically so that we are able to make changes based on customer feedback, financial considerations and other factors including the variety of options we offer our members.
We review our Club offerings periodically so that we are able to make changes based on further improving our bottom line. Our customer feedback indicates we can get away with this devaluation and earn more money at the same time.

Other people put up with crap in other lounges, so why shouldn't you?

Our goal is to offer members quality products and services at reasonable prices that are competitive with other airport lounges while continuing to provide good value for membership.
Our goal is to make more money.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:17 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by us2
Nor do they much care at AA or UA where things are no better. Welcome to the brave new world of three US global supercarriers who now know they're too big to fail and also know that nobody in their right mind would invest the billions it would take to start up a new major global network carrier from scratch. It's now an oligopoly and things will probably get worse rather than better from here on out and I suspect this will be a race to the bottom.
Your analysis is spot on.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:18 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
I bet that any complaints to the bartender about the new 'enhanced' selection won't go anywhere either. Since its outsourced management and staff and cost is clearly the driver, they have no incentive to care or provide good quality anything.
And, to be fair, none of this is their fault. If you want to complain about this, the responsibility for this is in ATL. If it's a good self-respecting bartender, they're probably embarrassed as much as anything by this.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:22 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigx0
Because running clubs is not a part of an airline's "core competency" or some other MBA generated BS and someone in management bought into it.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by javabytes
On the contrary... The AmEx pay-per-visit folks probably already pay much more per visit than SC members. It is your rate that is catching up to theirs.
Leisure traveler Joe, and his once a year flight with the wife and kiddies should pay more per visit. Buying in bulk should result in an economy of scale.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by bennos
BTW, I take this as a tacit admission that the current wine offerings are bad.
If you have never had them, don't. I can't remember what movie this is from, but "...it's so awful there aren't words to describe how awful it is."

The issue then becomes for me, what are the alternatives: vodka & soda will do as long as it's decent vodka. Skyy, while not close to a premium brand is quite drinkable when mixed with soda, tonic, etc... Gordon's, on the other hand, is... Well, you can read my or any of the other's posts.

My membership expires on 12/30. I will not be renewing. ...but I do plan to let DL mgt know why.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
I guess I just can't understand why someone would now pay a large premium to have the privilege of buying overpriced drinks (although, getting all-you-can-drink college-party miller lite); awful Wi-Fi; poor food offerings; and the difficulty in finding a place to charge your laptop and get a seat while traveling.

Good thing I still have 3 years left on my SC membership...

By the way, I assume the internationally located Sky Clubs are not subject to this enhancement (e.g. Tokyo)?
Old May 14, 2013, 9:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

Where is bubbashow to call everyone 3G&Gers and celebrate the effect of this move on DL's stock, which is undoubtedly headed into the stratosphere?
Old May 15, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Delta Sky Clubs are changing the selection of both complimentary and for-purchase premium alcoholic beverages beginning tomorrow. Complimentary well-known alcohol brands will still be provided at the Club just as they have been.

Altering our complimentary offerings will enable us to expand our portfolio of premium for-purchase products and maintain complimentary spirits, beer and wine as we continue to invest in the overall Club experience. We review our Club offerings periodically so that we are able to make changes based on customer feedback, financial considerations and other factors including the variety of options we offer our members.

• Complimentary spirits: Vodka - Gordon's; Gin – Gordon’s; Rum - Myers's Platinum; Scotch – Scoresby; Bourbon - Jack Daniel's; Sweet Vermouth - Martini & Rossi; Extra Dry Vermouth - Martini & Rossi.
Other brands will be available through our for-purchase options available through our Luxury Bar. Our goal is to offer members quality products and services at reasonable prices that are competitive with other airport lounges while continuing to provide good value for membership.

DLcorpguy-- sorry they put you up to crafting this ridiculous communication.

I think we should launch a boycott of Sky Clubs. Boycotts would never work for actual travel because we all need to fly and they know that. However, nobody needs the Sky Club. I think this is the only kind of action that would be effective-- and in this case, it could actually work. What do others think?
Old May 15, 2013, 12:09 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Way to give the customer the finger. Yet another reason I'm glad to have ditched DL for the Friendly Skies.
Old May 15, 2013, 12:34 am
Used to be HSDebateCoach

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jdrtravel

DLcorpguy-- sorry they put you up to crafting this ridiculous communication.

I think we should launch a boycott of Sky Clubs. Boycotts would never work for actual travel because we all need to fly and they know that. However, nobody needs the Sky Club. I think this is the only kind of action that would be effective-- and in this case, it could actually work. What do others think?
My membership expired within the month. While I can't drink on business travel, I did enjoy an occasional drink or two on my own time and the money I personally paid for SlyClub can just buy me a drink at a bar in the terminal. I have a hard time justifying the expense when wifi is free or I carry my own in most airports and I can fight for seats without paying.

Thanks for the final straw. It makes not renewing so much easier!

(And yes this is going in a letter to Delta too once I get to a computer)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.