Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 4:20 pm

Programs: EVA, SQ, DL, AA, UA...
Originally Posted by MS02113
Thanks for this interesting—and, for Delta, damning—information. I'd also be interested to see the prices of Dewar's and Scoresby, since the scotch offering seems to have dropped the most in quality (not that Dewar's was good to begin with). Scoresby? Really? I still can't get over the sheer tackiness of it.

Dewars $347.00
Scorsby's $143.00

Once again this is a Diagio thing; but DL could have chosen
J. Walker Red $292.00
J&B Rare $283.25

Or for a nice bump up
JW Black $ 419.00

Last edited by Mendobrew; May 14, 2013 at 4:23 pm Reason: added JW Black pricing
Old May 14, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: Former 16 year Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Taking away complementary Tanquaray and replacing it with Gordons is a huge mistake. Its fake cheese all over again.

So much progress has been made to the SkyClubs, then things like this happen.
Is this a sign that Virgin Atlantic is calling the code share deal off?
Old May 14, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Mendobrew
The rum change was obviously to get all liquors that are served at Skyclubs into the Diagio portfolio. I understand the choice to go all Diagio products; consistency across all states and only having to source from one distributor in all states. It also helps that Diagio’s largest distributor in the US (Southern Wine & Spirits) is also the main liquor distributor in most DL hub states.

But… Delta could have chosen 10 Cane Rum instead of Meyers Platinum and they still would have purchased a less expensive product than Bacardi (about $5 a case) and 10 Cane is far superior to most other highly distributed rums.

I would love to have been a fly on the wall when the Diagio deal was done. It would be interesting to see what states liquor laws that Delta was able to use to take advantage of the no cost or greatly reduced pricing on product that Diagio used as a carrot to get this deal done. I would also be willing to bet that several cases of Veuve and BV Latour made their way to certain offices on Virginia Ave as a small thank you this past holiday season…
Wait, 10 Cane wholesales for less than Bacardi? You sure about that? Here in FL at least, Bacardi retails for $10-$12 for a 750 mL bottle while 10 Cane is usually around $25.

I would have much rather had them eliminate the scotch completely and replace it with something different like Bushmills (another Diageo product) rather than offer the garbage they chose.

JD isn't a Diageo product. I'm surprise they kept it.
Old May 14, 2013, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
IF they save money, good for them.... They do what is right for their business, I must do what is right for mine...

AA sent me a free bump to Platinum with 20 U/G Chits and 12K by 8/31 gets me PLT to 2015... Not the greatest offer, and I would prefer EXP but it is a little late in the year to go for that... BUT the point is... at the beginning of the year, I would have never taken AA up on this... Now, I have accepted...

Not that AA and the AC's are much better, but since there is no real benefit to DL and its SC's, why not vary my loyalties....

I went from a varied loyalty a few years ago, to all in on DL. Now its back to varying my spend...
Old May 14, 2013, 5:25 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by DLCorpGuy
  • Complimentary spirits: Vodka - Gordon's; Gin – Gordon’s; Rum - Myers's Platinum; Scotch – Scoresby; Bourbon - Jack Daniel's; Sweet Vermouth - Martini & Rossi; Extra Dry Vermouth - Martini & Rossi.
  • Complimentary beer: Budweiser and Miller Lite
  • Complimentary wine: no changes to current wine offerings
BTW, I take this as a tacit admission that the current wine offerings are bad.
Old May 14, 2013, 5:25 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by DLCorpGuy
The new offerings are comparable to house/well brands in other airport lounges.
  • Complimentary spirits: Vodka - Gordon's; Gin – Gordon’s; Rum - Myers's Platinum; Scotch – Scoresby; Bourbon - Jack Daniel's; Sweet Vermouth - Martini & Rossi; Extra Dry Vermouth - Martini & Rossi.
  • Complimentary beer: Budweiser and Miller Lite
  • Complimentary wine: no changes to current wine offerings
Jack Daniel's is not a bourbon. It is a whiskey.

Even as a pre-21 undergraduate in college, I was smart enough not to drink Gordon's products.
Old May 14, 2013, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Mendobrew
The rum change was obviously to get all liquors that are served at Skyclubs into the Diagio portfolio. I understand the choice to go all Diagio products; consistency across all states and only having to source from one distributor in all states. It also helps that Diagio’s largest distributor in the US (Southern Wine & Spirits) is also the main liquor distributor in most DL hub states.
Had Delta simply consolidated its spirits spend with Diageo, there'd be far fewer complaints. They could have switched to Smirnoff vodka and, say, Johnnie Walker Red Label scotch—reasonable alternatives to Skyy and Dewar's, respectively. They could have continued to serve Tanqueray, Jose Cuervo, and Baileys. Instead, Delta opted for some of the cheapest bottles this side of plastic and dropped some varieties (i.e., tequila, Canadian whisky, and Irish cream) altogether.

Most curious is the decision to retain Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey, which costs considerably more than (read: double) the new low-rent brands and isn't owned by Diageo. Bulleit Bourbon would seem to be the logical Diageo-owned alternative. (I would have appreciated the addition of the same distiller's rye whiskey as well.)
Old May 14, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
When does this go into effect??
Old May 14, 2013, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Nice, so no more baileys either? That used to be good with coffee or just on the rocks on occasion. I'm sure it'll be moved to the "luxury" bar for 8 bucks a shot.

Gordons vodka is undrinkable... we didn't even use that for college parties. Bud and miller lite on tap too? Yeah pick the most commercialized high volume generic "beer" too. Myers Plat is about a lateral move from Bacardi which was overrated and overpriced to begin with.

So the options are going to be 3 cheap white liquors, 2 of which are undrinkable (vodka/gin) and two brown liquors, one of which is also cheap crap (scoresby) and the other is whiskey NOT burbon. Not going to touch beer that we used to get in kegs for Beirut parties, and no way in hell am I going to pay the $7 or whatever for a bottle of "luxury bar" beer.

I wonder if the bartenders are going to see their tips drop. Personally I'm not giving a tip for a drink made with swill.

I love the corporate line about customer feedback also. Show me anyone who asked for this reduced and downgraded selection of spirits and beer, coupled with higher annual fees.
Old May 14, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
When does this go into effect??
Tomorrow.
Old May 14, 2013, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Most curious is the decision to retain Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey, which costs considerably more than (read: double) the new low-rent brands and isn't owned by Diageo. Bulleit Bourbon would seem to be the logical Diageo-owned alternative. (I would have appreciated the addition of the same distiller's rye whiskey as well.)
Looks like someone very important at DL ATL likes JD. Otherwise they would have done what the other airline lounges did and charge for it.
Old May 14, 2013, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Gordon's gin for $450 a year? Seriously? Sheesh!

Considering that and the descriptions here of the crowding, I'm glad my need for the SC/WC/CRC ended a while ago.
Old May 14, 2013, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
Atleast they could have gone with Svedka vodka!!!!!!!!! If another airline would create a business model taking care of their customers, there would be a mass exodus of customers willing to pay the price for good service and quality product. It could be done. Delta took the low road. They are becoming Southwest airlines. Actually worse.
Old May 14, 2013, 6:07 pm

Thanks for this interesting—and, for Delta, damning—information. I'd also be interested to see the prices of Dewar's and Scoresby, since the scotch offering seems to have dropped the most in quality (not that Dewar's was good to begin with). Scoresby? Really? I still can't get over the sheer tackiness of it.
dewar's isn't the greatest scotch in the universe, but was a perfectly pleasant choice. since it was my usual drink at the SC, i'll be sampling its replacement when i fly again on thursday. i don't expect much.

this booze downgrade is seriously petty and really shows how much delta values their skyclub customers.

i think that we can judge from the lack of interaction in this thread from the delta reps on FT that they could not care less about our opinions.

however, i've been to a few united red carpet clubs lately, and i gotta tell you that things are not better over there. this is all about scaling service down to the level of the competition. if their product is garbage, too then there is no reason to change loyalty based on it. smart business move, i guess.
Old May 14, 2013, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I guess the bean counters saw lots of ham in the sandwiches in the SC so are extracting all they can there too. I think the ham was replaced with spam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.