Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
I had a few people specifically order Gordon's, including one of my more high-profile customers. Lots of people ordered T&T's though, though I thought it was because it was cheaper and wasn't the Barton's swill (and y'all complain about Gordon's... smh). Almost as many people ordered Sapphire; the Gordon's bottle sat right next to it (the Sapphire) on the top shelf (along with Bluecoat, Hendrick's, et al).

-J.
What colour was the Gordon's bottle and what proof?

I would like for you to confirm on the record that you allege Gordon's Gin is not only a call brand, but a top shelf gin.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just because it is on the 'top' shelf next to good liquors, doesn't make it top shelf quality. If anything, I'd say it brings down the other brands by association.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
That fact that DL is switching to Gordon's confirms what I already know...it is a step down from Tanqueray and Sapphire.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jsmith50
Here's the version I heard...when DL outsourced the labor to run the SCs, the contract, supposedly, detailed how many people would be employed per location based upon number of daily patrons. That contract then also allows for a certain increase in employee numbers and raises of the salary/hourly wage of the employees over the life of the contract based upon the number of SC admissions. As clubs have become more crowded (and they seem more crowded to me today than a year ago even), the outsourced labor provider has cranked up their employee numbers and given raises in line with the contract which is actually making the SC more expensive to run then when DL was managing them directly. So, my interpretation is that all of these AmEx day passes may actually be bad for the cost of running the clubs, not just for overcrowding!
Once again, Virginia Ave demonstrates that they do not understand the law of unintended consequences.

And, this is supposed to be the smartest, brightest management team ever to run an airline.

"Let's open the club to anyone with a Costco card..." and lose money as a consequence... and punish the loyal customers in response.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Once again, Virginia Ave demonstrates that they do not understand the law of unintended consequences.

And, this is supposed to be the smartest, brightest management team ever to run an airline.

"Let's open the club to anyone with a Costco card..." and lose money as a consequence... and punish the loyal customers in response.
Unless your intention is to get promoted and then move on before the results of the short sighted decision comes to roost. Hell, it's the American way these days...
Old May 9, 2013, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I searched the web for some reviews of Gordon's vodka. They all pretty much come to the same conclusion:

Typical Drinkers: Only hobos who find this crap in the dumpster because some civilized people wised up and threw the crap out. Not good.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I searched the web for some reviews of Gordon's vodka. They all pretty much come to the same conclusion:
So, that is what we are going to be served by those folks who "have our back" ...and, I might add, our increased and already paid membership fees.

Old May 9, 2013, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this is the review you're referring to...
http://theblacksheeponline.com/artic...-gordons-vodka

Maybe if they decide to run it through a water filter it'll be ok for use with a flavored mixer.

Any news on what the Bacardi is getting replaced by? There isn't a Gordons Rum, thank god.
How about others like the baileys... just gone with no generic off-brand substitute?

Last edited by rylan; May 9, 2013 at 11:14 am
Old May 9, 2013, 11:14 am
Suspended

Even Kollege Kids know...
Old May 9, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Delta already proved how they wanted to screw over their most loyal customers a couple months ago by raising the dues for Plat. and Gold members but keeping the fee the same for Am Ex and single day passes.

A nice gesture would be for SC's with full service bars to offer PAID skyclub members Sky Vodka, Bacardi rum (or other equivalent to the current offerings) or a voucher for a free premium drink each visit and/or discount the bar prices for people with paid memberships.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Well, sadly I can see why this makes sense. Gordon's is owned by... wait for it... Diageo. Which is their partner in the Luxury Bar.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by jsmith50
...which is actually making the SC more expensive to run then when DL was managing them directly.
Beautiful. Just beautiful.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Beautiful. Just beautiful.
Outsourcing at its best!
Old May 9, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
A nice gesture would be for SC's with full service bars to offer PAID skyclub members Sky Vodka, Bacardi rum (or other equivalent to the current offerings) or a voucher for a free premium drink each visit and/or discount the bar prices for people with paid memberships.
Stocking two tiers of liquor in addition to the for-sale "Luxury Bar" collection and pouring them based on membership would be both tacky and costly (assuming bulk purchases of a single house brand would net better discounts). Does Delta really want to turn the Sky Clubs into dive bars? Better to avoid the downmarket change entirely and instead charge more for memberships (including Diamonds) and especially day passes. What's the point of the Sky Club if it's going to be just as accessible and crowded as the Chili's To Go bar, serving booze at the same prices?
Old May 9, 2013, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by james318
Well, sadly I can see why this makes sense. Gordon's is owned by... wait for it... Diageo. Which is their partner in the Luxury Bar.
But Diageo markets Tanqueray. It is one of their "Strategic Brands," which must mean that it is too good for the common folk, paying members of the club.

http://www.diageo.com/en-row/ourbran...gicBrands.aspx

Face it, these decisions are being made by bean counters who have no customer focus, likely laugh each time they send out a communication using the word "loyalty," (and I'll stop there before I say something that might be actionable).

It is clear that Virginia Ave must believe that there is no downside to making each part of the airline/customer interaction ever-increasingly miserable.

Remember the threads from a few years ago when folks speculated about whether DL Management would ever do away with complementary drinks in the clubs? It is starting to look like they are doing this in a de facto fashion, via a two-step process. First, implement the Premium bars. Then, swillify the complementary offerings.

What's next? Want a Coke? You can buy that from the Premium bar. If you want a free soda, its the K-Mart generic brand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.