Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
We used to have real steaks cooked on ATL to LGA runs.... Now you kids with your MTV and cellurized telephones have messed it all up.... Now get off my lawn before I call the Constable...
Ahhhhh for the days of Midwest and their in-flight fresh-baked cookies...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by jsmith50
+1
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Not sure if anyone cares, but....

I checked out the ATL F SkyClub's new Sky Deck today. Pretty cool. It was about 8:30-9AM and the place was dead empty, maybe 5 people total in the club.

However, the semi-relevance here is that while I was getting coffee from the machine, the bartenders and 1 SC agent were all chatting behind/at the bad, with another woman in a suit.

I overheard her identifying herself as the General Manager for all Delta SkyClubs (or something very similar, described by her as responsible for the overall management of the clubs). One of them made some semi-disparaging remark about Diageo and how she must *love* them, and she quickly said that deal was not part of her domain, and the conversation moved on to something else.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
With all the distractions (butterflies and shiny balls) throughout the thread, I just thought we needed a reminder of the sum of the complementary beverage specific changes being discussed.

My comparison is Best Available Pre-enhancement v Best Available Post-enhancement.

I've tried to make this list complete, but feel free to edit if I've missed anything (I've also put in my $.02):

American Whiskey (where this thread started)
- Woodford > Jack Daniels (for the purpose of this list, and to avoid further distractions, I've chosen not to refer to either as Bourbon) - I don't believe any reasonable person can argue this is not a significant drop in quality.

Scotch
- Dewar's > Scoresby - While Dewar's is only a middling blended, even unreasonable people could not argue in favor of Scoresby.

Gin
- Tanqueray > Gordon's - Well, as we all now know, there is no difference, so what's the fuss?

Vodka
- Skyy > Gordon's - See "Gin".

Rum
- Bacardi's > Meyer's - This one appears to be a wash (some who enjoy white rum have said an improvement). My apologies for my earlier comment re: white rum. I hope I did not insult anyone. I was caught up in the distractions of the moment. I very much enjoy dark rum for the molasses and other flavors, but that is just my preference. I do not wish to disparage those who enjoy light or white rums.

Misc
- Baliey's > You'll get nothing and like it (self-serve), or you'll pay for 2/3 the cost of the bottle just to cover your cubes (full-serve). No further comment needed.

Beer
- Local Micros > Bud & Miller - I need to improve my vocabulary skills in order to adequately describe the disparity.

Wine
- This has not been palatable for some time, so I'm not really sure how to categorize any changes.

Mixers
- Canada Dry > Seagram’s - Canada Dry (IMO) has better flavor for both Tonic and Ginger Ale. Also, the loss of Club Soda is inexcusable.

When you see the entire list in black & white, it really is quite annoying.

Last edited by NapaPatTours; Jun 21, 2013 at 9:50 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours

Beer
- Local Micros > Bud & Miller - I need to improve my vocabulary skills in order to adequately describe the disparity.

Napa... Let this graphic speak for you:

Corporate Beer

Just a reminder to those folks pondering the Virginia Ave reductions in selection, especially you folks in Sky Clubs that do not have an RA-bonus-enhancing Luxury Bar and, hence, don't even have the option to buy up to something more palatable (assuming you would even be tempted to submit to the blackmail to do so).
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Napa... Let this graphic speak for you:

Corporate Beer
Far more concise than I could be. I was afraid to get started, as the rant would have been several pages long.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kitkat77
I overheard her identifying herself as the General Manager for all Delta SkyClubs (or something very similar, described by her as responsible for the overall management of the clubs). One of them made some semi-disparaging remark about Diageo and how she must *love* them, and she quickly said that deal was not part of her domain, and the conversation moved on to something else.
I wonder if Diageo is reveling in the "publicity" they are getting out of this fiasco?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Far more concise than I could be. I was afraid to get started, as the rant would have been several pages long.
BTW... it's a real beer. Bought a bottle today, and will report back.

I did not buy a bottle of Miller Lite in order to do a side-by-side comparison.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:42 pm

BTW... it's a real beer. Bought a bottle today, and will report back.

I did not buy a bottle of Miller Lite in order to do a side-by-side comparison.
You (& TH) really know how to keep the mood light!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You (& TH) really know how to keep the mood light!
Sometimes the darkest moments need a little humor.

After 30-plus years of visiting DL clubs, I have to say that this is a dark moment indeed.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:14 pm

Sometimes the darkest moments need a little humor.

After 30-plus years of visiting DL clubs, I have to say that this is a dark moment indeed.
Agreed...
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
[QUOTE=KOTAR1988;20955322] I could NOT help but keep an eye on the sales of premium liquor. After 90 minutes, my tally was approximately $484.00. Yes, $484.00! QUOTE]

That is quite a chunk of change. Skyclubs are no longer a cost center but a profit center.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HongKonger
We were waiting for those challenging you to concede. Instead they forfeited.
FWIW That was my recollection too. (aussi en Francais?)
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsmith50
I remember those MCI -MKE, MCI-LGA, MCI-BOS and the seating.

Before long I will be doing the Monty Python sketch of the Yorkshire men remembering the bad old days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Jun 21, 2013 at 2:46 pm
Old Jun 21, 2013, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Thank you for that. After the day I just had, I really needed a good laugh! ...the Vodka is helping, too...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.