Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New boarding pass notification for TSA PreCheck

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New boarding pass notification for TSA PreCheck

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Good news!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
I think the pre-check scanner must be different in BOS, since I don't get 3 beeps but usually get pre-check. Only time I got the 3 beeps was last week when they scanned my bp and the light turned red... then he scanned it again and it was green so I guess the first try was a misread or something.
DL PreCheck at BOS worked for me as expected about a week ago, although they had some crazy number of empty lanes for PreCheck and SkyPriority and it wasn't clear who was sent where when someone qualified for both.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I really, really wish that they would give everyone on the same PNR the same treatment....my partner and I both have pre check but very often only one of us will get the three beeps, meaning that the other waits at the end of security. This is very annoying.
You have the option for the same treatment. The person with Precheck is free to join the person without Precheck in the regular screening lines.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:20 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by javabytes
You have the option for the same treatment. The person with Precheck is free to join the person without Precheck in the regular screening lines.
That is what I am planning on doing when I travel in June with several people who I know will not get Pre Check.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:23 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I really, really wish that they would give everyone on the same PNR the same treatment....my partner and I both have pre check but very often only one of us will get the three beeps, meaning that the other waits at the end of security. This is very annoying.
Since you are gold, if you are both on the same PNR shouldn't everyone on the PNR be able to at least go thru the Medalion / Priority access line?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by stc
Since you are gold, if you are both on the same PNR shouldn't everyone on the PNR be able to at least go thru the Medalion / Priority access line?
That's true, but they still have to split up if only one hits the three beeps, which could easily become more than a 15 minute delay at some airports. They could choose to both stay together, and lose the benefit of precheck. I guess only kids get the benefit of precheck when on the same PNR as someone that clears.

daloosh
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by fti
The first post is very explicit that this is not the case. It only means you are eligible for Pre Check, not that you are guaranteed to get the 3 beeps.
I don't read the original post that way—it's simply not 100% clear. Like others, I believe the "TSA PRECHK" indicator corresponds with the "3" embedded in the barcode, meaning boarding passes thusly equipped will elicit the three beeps. If "TSA PRECHK" merely indicates "eligibility" in the program (but not necessarily selection for the flight at hand), why would this change be "good news for [passengers who've] already experienced TSA PreCheck"?

I think DLCorpGuy's disclaimer ("no passenger is ever guaranteed expedited screening") is meant to suggest that even those who receive the three beeps might still be denied PreCheck access, in keeping with the supposedly random nature of the program. The disclaimer might also serve to dissuade DYKWIA-types from creating a scene when denied access despite the printed indicator.

The question of "eligible" vs. "pre-selected" is relatively straightforward, so hopefully DLCorpGuy will be able clarify.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by MS02113
I don't read the original post that way—it's simply not 100% clear. Like others, I believe the "TSA PRECHK" indicator corresponds with the "3" embedded in the barcode, meaning boarding passes thusly equipped will elicit the three beeps. If "TSA PRECHK" merely indicates "eligibility" in the program (but not necessarily selection for the flight at hand), why would this change be "good news for [passengers who've] already experienced TSA PreCheck"?

I think DLCorpGuy's disclaimer ("no passenger is ever guaranteed expedited screening") is meant to suggest that even those who receive the three beeps might still be denied PreCheck access, in keeping with the supposedly random nature of the program. The disclaimer might also serve to dissuade DYKWIA-types from creating a scene when denied access despite the printed indicator.

The question of "eligible" vs. "pre-selected" is relatively straightforward, so hopefully DLCorpGuy will be able clarify.
Perhaps not 100%, but I'd say it's fairly clear that you are correct. "...we will become the first airline to print an indicator on kiosk-printed boarding passes to give you some advance notice if you’ve been selected for TSA PreCheck."

Like MSPeconomist, I think the "random, unpredictable screening measures" in this case refers to things like hand-swabbing that some here have experienced.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Rare
Perhaps not 100%, but I'd say it's fairly clear that you are correct. "...we will become the first airline to print an indicator on kiosk-printed boarding passes to give you some advance notice if you’ve been selected for TSA PreCheck."

Like MSPeconomist, I think the "random, unpredictable screening measures" in this case refers to things like hand-swabbing that some here have experienced.
I just have to post my feelings here as one of the first to go through PreCheck and love it. flying approx.40 legs and 100 k a year i go through check points a lot and at times I only get a single beep, thats just the system and I am ok with that. Not totally but I do understand it.

ALL Delta is doing is printing it on their boarding passes nothing else they are guarantying that you will get three beeps so get over it. In my particular case I go through the FC line anyway but we all have to except no system is perfect and there needs to be some "safety check" no pun, to their system.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
I just have to post my feelings here as one of the first to go through PreCheck and love it.
Yes, it's great, isn't it? ^ (of course this type of screening should be the normal for almost everyone, but that's another topic)

ALL Delta is doing is printing it on their boarding passes nothing else they are guarantying that you will get three beeps so get over it.
Since you quoted me, I guess you're telling me to "get over" something, but I have no idea what "it" is.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Rather than continuing to try to interpret DLCorpGuy's inconclusive post, can folks just report back here the following:
a) If/how you are PreCheck eligible (GM+, GE, NEXUS, Other?)
b) What type of BP you got (mobile, print-at-home, SMS, kiosk, TA)
c) If your BP had a visible PreCheck indication, as described in the OP
d) If your BP had a magic "3" (if you decoded it)
e) If you got 3 beeps

With the frequency of travel of this crowd, we should have a decent informal data set within a few days, I'd think, and be able to know exactly how our new BPs are getting tagged, along with some other potentially useful information.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:21 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Rare
Yes, it's great, isn't it? ^ (of course this type of screening should be the normal for almost everyone, but that's another topic)

Since you quoted me, I guess you're telling me to "get over" something, but I have no idea what "it" is.
Sorry it not posted directly to you, I apologize Rather there are some with that total entitlement mindset.

It's a system, not perfect but it does work 90% of the time. I have witnessed some travelers have a tantrum at the check point because they were "faulted" for random check line !! I have had the same and I just shrug laugh it off! Because I know that I should not have to go through that for awhile!!!!!

So again, sorry.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Sorry it not posted directly to you, I apologize Rather there are some with that total entitlement mindset.

It's a system, not perfect but it does work 90% of the time. I have witnessed some travelers have a tantrum at the check point because they were "faulted" for random check line !! I have had the same and I just shrug laugh it off! Because I know that I should not have to go through that for awhile!!!!!

So again, sorry.
Ah, I see what you mean. No worries. I agree, there's no point in throwing a tantrum!

I think gooselee's idea is perfect. That's one of the strengths of FlyerTalk!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I hope the dragons will start looking for this on boarding passes and directing people who shouldn't be in the precheck lane into another lane.

I know some people who aren't precheck eligible with no status have figured out they can just go in the precheck lane instead of the general lane to save time or they get in the precheck lane having no idea what it is. This should cut down on that problem.
^^^

It is bad at LGA. Three people behind me were going to be turned away in the Sky Priority line and they all said "isn't this PreCheck" and were let in. In IAH you scan at the beginning of the line and have to do the walk of shame to the other if no 3 beeps.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 3:11 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
OP,

Still looking for clarification as to whether it Thursday April 18 or Friday April 19?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.