Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
DwayneSkyMiles,

(a) How would UP fares (A/P/I, that are seen on the res sys at e.g. LXXXXX/WNUP) would be treated? Was the technology updated to ensure this change is capture appropriately?
(PS- not that it seems to matter, but I may have no choice but to hold on purchases of A/P/D/I fares for my team until this one is cleared. It took me a long time to get approval to do those, so I'd rather not do that unless I have to)
(b) Clearing standby list- before boarding begins or after? would DM/PM/GM still be eligible to go on the UG list (sometimes labeled on FT as Battle Field Upgrade) and clear the list? at what point would stand by medallion pax be able to receive a seat? (e.g. still access economy comfort seats, etc.)
(c) Can one request the standby after the original flight departed? (This one really needs a yes/no clarification)
The new T&C states you "may" request before (departure). Does that mean- post departure (or more correct, once the flight is 'locked' and boarding begins) no 'dice'?. Just think about the number of times a pax is stuck in the line for security, etc. or between flights that are not necessary on the same ticket.
(d) Is the Co-terminal rule for DMs (change JFK to LGA, as one example) remains in place? If not, this is a major regression in the SDC program.
(e) Can you elaborate about change in routing? e.g. if there is no other JFK-ATL-LAS flight for the day, can I standby for JFK-LAS instead? (A yes/no one would help here). For the record/reminder- flying the pax, space available, nonstop in lieu of the connecting fight is cheaper to the company (That is- to DL)
(f) What about the cases where the same-day flight is scheduled more than 3 hours apart? Is there going to be a waiver for the SDC/standby fee? (e.g. John is on flight 1529 leaving JFK to LAS at 10:30. Wants to SDC to 0161, which is the next flight leaving at 16:30, 4:30pm. Six hours apart, next flight- kosher/non kosher? especially since now John may not SDC to JFK-MSP-LAS, for example)
(g) Given that it is a major change, it is worthwhile to send it to all passengers, not just the ones who have used SDC in the last X days/months/year

On a side note- It is my opinion (FWIW) that there was a place for clarifications/notifications earlier in this process, especially since the change was so widely distributed. Point for future enhancements.

For the record- you do not make a program more exclusive by taking benefits from your loyal clients. You can certainly make them more upset. Please pass this message along to the higher ups. I don't care it goes through the shredder in the office.

Thank you again for joining the conversation. We are looking forward to see participation in the follow up Q&A.

PS-I am registered to "skymiles news and updates". This change does not show up there as of now (11:26 EST)
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-updates.html#
This is the official channel in which delta announces changes to the terms and conditions for its frequent flyers member program. It would be nice/useful to update it there, and not only on the SDC program page, given that it was stated as the official communication channel

Last edited by DLroads; Apr 11, 2013 at 11:41 am
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:43 am

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Thanks Duane

Please ask your folks to try to improve their communication with us.

In many ways this is worse than the speculation. It seems as if it is all about revenue management and not the customer.

I had been willing to pay the premium for Delta -- This was one of the features that helped me to justify that premium.

I frequently purchase P fares I had no problem sitting in Y to get home early. With this-- SDC is pretty much over for me as well as the same frequency of travel on DL.

Virginia Avenue remember - Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
This is even more restrictive than originally rumored.
how so?

And I second the mention that DMs are really being treated unfairly to not have any type of waiver. What is so beneficial for remaining DM. With MQD in effect, many people might be happier as a Global Services at United where many more waivers are offered.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I would be happier with this if DM'S weren't being shafted yet again....

I like the same day flexibility and could almost live with the fare bucket issue. Then thet add in a $50 charge for the benefit. So if I change within the three hours for free as we can now, the bucket rule is in effect!!!!

DL.... you want to make DM a superior level, requiring MQM and soon MQD qualifications, but you continue to reduce benefit.... DM is losing value with every enhancement...
I wonder what else is on their "Bucket List"?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by jrl22
and it still doesn't address the redeye issue ... SEA/LAX/SFO-MSP-xxx at 1245am can't switch to the 1045pm options over DTW/JFK/ATL
That's mentioned in the link provided:

Eligibility

•If you have a flexible fare (usually a refundable ticket), you may be able to change your itinerary without a fee.
•You can only be rebooked in the same class of service as your original flight.
•You may request a day-of-flight change any time prior to the departure time of your original flight
•Your requested flight is same-day confirmed eligible if the departure time(s) fall between 12am (on the same day as the originally booked ticket) and 2am (the following day) to account for overnight flights.
•Award Tickets are same-day confirmed eligible.
•Origin, destination or co-terminal (LGA to JFK) changes are not same-day confirmed eligible.
•You can use the same-day confirmed option for travel within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection® flights.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
I wonder what else is on their "Bucket List"?
I can't wait to find out
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by mersk862
thanks, reading quickly on my phone so didn't see the difference in text color
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mersk862
Thanks for posting the clarifications.

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Apr 11, 2013 at 8:00 am
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by DwayneSkyMiles
Our systems will automatically identify the booking class of both purchased and award tickets to offer same-day confirmed options when the same fare class is available on another flight.
I wonder if Delta just killed SDC on award tickets here. If you have a low level award ticket, does low inventory have to be available on the flight you want to change to?

Daivd
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:54 am

No, thank you. I would prefer the old guidelines.

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members will receive complimentary same-day travel changes for new flight departure times that are three hours before or after your original departure time. For flights departing outside of this window, a $50 fee for each same-day confirmed ticketing change will now apply. Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members also may continue to stand by free of charge for flights outside of the complimentary window or when your booking class is not available.

As we suspected, crux of the matter for SDC is limitation of fare class. As an example, I'm flying LGA > ATL tomorrow booked in L class on a flight. Below is fare class availability for LGA>ATL starting with 7am flight.

F3 P2 A0 G0 Y9 B9 M9 S9 H9 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F5 P4 A0 G0 Y9 B9 M9 S9 H9 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E9
F7 P6 A0 G0 Y9 B8 M6 S6 H2 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F8 P7 A0 G0 Y9 B9 M7 S7 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F5 P4 A0 G0 Y9 B9 M9 S9 H9 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E6
F8 P7 A0 G0 Y8 B6 M4 S4 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
J3 C2 D1 I0 Y9 B9 M9 S9 H7 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F9 P8 A0 G0 Y9 B8 M7 S7 H1 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F7 P6 A0 G0 Y9 B8 M6 S0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0

If I had booked an afternoon flight (as is usually the case with work travel) but was able to get to take an early flight I would not have one single SDC option despite it clearly showing the flights are WIDE OPEN! So I'm stuck with a same day standby option which luckily in this case the odds are very good. But i'm not schleping all the way to the airport hours early to wait around going from gate to gate hoping my standby clears. No thank you Delta.

But LGA>ATL is a very common route. I'm certain less common routes would not have anywhere near as many open seats.

The problem DL faces with this change is flights early in the day will have low yields but later in the afternoon will be packed. I guess that's fine until DL has to VDB 10+ pax on that 8PM LGA>ATL flight and overnight those pax at the Sheraton LGA until the next morning. And presuming VDB's won't count toward MQD's combined with difficulty in using vouchers to begin with, VDB is suddenly a much less sought after option. What's a VDB'er to do? Use the VDB to buy F and earn MQM bonus and gauranteed F while still contributing to your MQD spend...

Outstanding questions: GM+ who standby for a different flight. Are they on the UG list? or standby for coach only? IME, Upgrade list is cleared and then standby pax confirmed. If that continues to be the case, Medallions who standby have almost no chance of an UG.. That might not be the worst thing in the world. upper tier elits switching flights multiple times until they clear into F is IMO gaming the system & should be limited. I know many of you disagree but that's my opinion and i'm sticking to it!

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
And a little background on why you’ve heard things about these changes before we made an official announcement. We don’t like it when the rumor mill is busy at work before we can tell you ourselves, but in order prepare for the first day of our same-day travel changes, we needed to ensure our agents had sufficient time with the information so they could apply it correctly from day one. We’d like to apologize for any uncertainty and/or confusion this caused in the Delta forum prior to today.
Dwayne. I know you don't make the policies just implement them so I hope you realize that none of this is personal towards you.

I run a small company not a "big global airline". In our world we inform our customers of a change far in advance. Our customers like and respect that.

Maybe DL could have:

1. Announced 90 days in advanced.
2. Informed us that staff was being trained on the new process.
3. Then train your staff.
4. Inform your staff that you have put up an FAQ to handle customer inquiries

The uncertainty and confusion came in part from DL's approach to roll-out.

On a positive note: This is better than some of the other changes DL rolls out with no notice
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:02 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by mridley2
As we suspected, crux of the matter for SDC is limitation of fare class. As an example, I'm flying LGA > ATL tomorrow booked in L class on a flight. Below is fare class availability for LGA>ATL starting with 7am flight.

F3 P2 A0 G0 Y9 B9 M9 S9 H9 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F5 P4 A0 G0 Y9 B9 M9 S9 H9 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E9
F7 P6 A0 G0 Y9 B8 M6 S6 H2 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F8 P7 A0 G0 Y9 B9 M7 S7 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F5 P4 A0 G0 Y9 B9 M9 S9 H9 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E6
F8 P7 A0 G0 Y8 B6 M4 S4 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
J3 C2 D1 I0 Y9 B9 M9 S9 H7 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F9 P8 A0 G0 Y9 B8 M7 S7 H1 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0
F7 P6 A0 G0 Y9 B8 M6 S0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0

If I had booked an afternoon flight (as is usually the case with work travel) but was able to get to take an early flight I would not have one single SDC option despite it clearly showing the flights are WIDE OPEN! So I'm stuck with a same day standby option which luckily in this case the odds are very good. But i'm not schleping all the way to the airport hours early to wait around going from gate to gate hoping my standby clears. No thank you Delta.

But LGA>ATL is a very common route. I'm certain less common routes would not have anywhere near as many open seats.

The problem DL faces with this change is flights early in the day will have low yields but later in the afternoon will be packed. I guess that's fine until DL has to VDB 10+ pax on that 8PM LGA>ATL flight and overnight those pax at the Sheraton LGA until the next morning. And presuming VDB's won't count toward MQD's combined with difficulty in using vouchers to begin with, VDB is suddenly a much less sought after option. What's a VDB'er to do? Use the VDB to buy F and earn MQM bonus and gauranteed F while still contributing to your MQD spend...

Outstanding questions: GM+ who standby for a different flight. Are they on the UG list? or standby for coach only? IME, Upgrade list is cleared and then standby pax confirmed. If that continues to be the case, Medallions who standby have almost no chance of an UG.. That might not be the worst thing in the world. upper tier elits switching flights multiple times until they clear into F is IMO gaming the system & should be limited. I know many of you disagree but that's my opinion and i'm sticking to it!
I am taking a wait and see on the bicket shake down. I see connections being problematic. As one flight may have the correct bucket, while the other does not. This is going to make calls to SDC longer... U have EF and can do my own research. Many do not.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
So If my flight leaves at 10am, I can call and confirm if my bucket is avaialble at 7am and as a DM it is no charge, but if I call at midnight and lets say the fare bucket is available (which we all know is a bunch of crap) I pay $50?

To me, SDC was one of the best benefits of being a DL Medallion as meetings get canceled and I just want to get home early, with all the other changes and this one on top of it, not many worthwhile benefits left.

I would like to know what happens in the case of A fares? If I can't get anytime SDC then why buy it?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I wonder if Delta just killed SDC on award tickets here. If you have a low level award ticket, does low inventory have to be available on the flight you want to change to?

Daivd
Basically yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.