Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
to the best of my knowledge, Alaska is the only major carrier that explicitly allows SDC from a redeye to a flight departing the evening before, but the window is very small ... and based on their schedules, this only really applies to ANC<-->SEA flights as their TCON redeyes (SEA-JFK/BOS, LAX-BWI) are the typical 9-10pm departures

this is from the SDC policy link on the AS website
  • For "red-eye" flight departing between 12:00 a.m. and 3:59 a.m., the new desired flight may depart as early as 10:00 p.m. on the day prior to your original departure.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA *S, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, pleb in all the rest
to the best of my knowledge, Alaska is the only major carrier that explicitly allows SDC from a redeye to a flight departing the evening before, but the window is very small ... and based on their schedules, this only really applies to ANC<-->SEA flights as their TCON redeyes (SEA-JFK/BOS, LAX-BWI) are the typical 9-10pm departures

this is from the SDC policy link on the AS website
  • For "red-eye" flight departing between 12:00 a.m. and 3:59 a.m., the new desired flight may depart as early as 10:00 p.m. on the day prior to your original departure.
United does too, as you can move flights within 24 hours. So you could move a 1:00 AM red-eye to lunchtime the day before (space available of course) if you want.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Has anyone had any issue SDC on an F fare from a single connect to a double connect (or vice versa). I know you can't go from connection to nonstop, but I have had issues in past with reps saying you cannot go from a double connect to a single connect (or v.v.).
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
The way I see it, when you do a same-day confirmed, you're changing from one flight to a different flight, but, the fare basis and rules that apply to that flight don't change. But, when you change the departure date of your flight, that date may not fall within the same rules and validity of the fare that you purchased.
Good point.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Has anyone had any issue SDC on an F fare from a single connect to a double connect (or vice versa). I know you can't go from connection to nonstop, but I have had issues in past with reps saying you cannot go from a double connect to a single connect (or v.v.).
nope
I've turned SEA-XXX-WAS into SEA-LAX/SFO-JFK-WAS in one or the other direction probably a dozen times in the last 5-6 years ... in fact, I'm currently in LAX SC waiting for tonight's redeye
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Were these originally broken fares? That could make a difference.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:51 pm

nope
I've turned SEA-XXX-WAS into SEA-LAX/SFO-JFK-WAS in one or the other direction probably a dozen times in the last 5-6 years ... in fact, I'm currently in LAX SC waiting for tonight's redeye
Ok good to know, thanks for the data points. Nice to be able to SDC onto the flat bed product!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Were these originally broken fares? That could make a difference.
It was TUS-SLC-SEA-YYC ticketed as a TUS-YYC fare, and I wanted to SDC to TUS-MSP-YYC but was told cannot go from double connect to single connect by 2 different agents. Seems like others have had no issue with this, so maybe was just a bit of an unlucky call centre day.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I did in December. Was flying LIM/ATL/BOS/DTW When we landed at ATL the skyclub agent put me on a ATL/DTW flight (after confirming I didn't have a checked bag). I was surprised since I was on an international flight even though I had already flown the international segment.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
Buy G to SDC and turn DCA-JFK hop to an MQM run?

I should probably know this, but just want to run it by the braintrust.

Need to go down to DC for a weekend and looking at fares, G is marginally more expensive than coach.

I have some free time on Sunday, so thinking that if I buy the G fare, I'll have opportunities to SDC and go to NY via ATL, DTW (LAX/SFO/FLL? ;p) or something and earn some extra MQMs.

If I'm in G, SDC doesn't require fare bucket availability, right? And you do earn MQMs for actual miles flown, right? (At 150%?)

Only thing I can think of is limited legal routings for this city pair...

Or am I missing something?
(Any kind soul with EF access care to post the legal routings? I let mine lapse in 2014.)

Thanks in advance.

-R
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
If you have a first class seat, you can switch to any flight(s) with a first class seat available. Sometimes it takes more than one agent to agree with you, but I've found this much easier and more reliable at the DM level.

Yes, you get the MQM bonus for what you actually fly.

Legal routings are your issue with turning this into any substantial MR. Out of DC, I think the only options to get to NYC are via ATL or DTW. No way they're gonna let you truck it out to LAX or SFO on this one.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
Legal routings are your issue with turning this into any substantial MR. Out of DC, I think the only options to get to NYC are via ATL or DTW. No way they're gonna let you truck it out to LAX or SFO on this one.
That's going to be a sticking point. I looked at a few random samples of one-ways and round-trips and if you start with JFK-DCA nonstops they all say

TRAVEL MUST BE NONSTOP OR DIRECT

it is ambiguous whether SDC must follow fare rules or not (there is usually a conflict of wording between the SDC T&C and fare rules). In practice it depends on the agent.

If you do a search for JFK to DCA etc. it presents options connecting in, for example, DTW, but they are broken fares.

See also the master SDC thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...y-options.html
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL DM
Hey, thanks for the replies.

Yeah, just using ITA, it seems like any connections are broken fares... I guess for the $30 it's worth a stab on the day of.

At the very least I'll get 750 for the leg instead of the 500 (That's still true, right?)

Last edited by remyontheroad; Jan 24, 2017 at 3:54 pm Reason: removed bad math...
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by remyontheroad
Hey, thanks for the replies.

Yeah, just using ITA, it seems like any connections are broken fares... I guess for the $30 it's worth a stab on the day of.

At the very least I'll get 750 for the leg instead of the 500 (That's still true, right?)
Yes, although whether $30 is worth 250 MQMs (12cpm) and confirmed F in a CR9 for a short flight is debatable

BTW you mentioned "worth a stab on the day of" -- if you accept an offer at check-in, those do NOT give you bonus MQMs. So if you are planning on buying coach and deciding later, do the buy-up beforehand. just realized you meant the SDC is worth a stab (yep, can't really hurt to ask)
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:08 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Can you get to IAD for . . . .

IAD/CDG/JFK?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.