Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 10, 13, 6:58 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SAN
Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Posts: 1,311
amex Delta Reserve: still upgrade priority?

Was thinking of switching to the Reserve this year to increase in spending that would allow me to reach the 30k threshold instead of my regular 25k.
I was browsing the card benefits on the Amex website and cannot find anywhere any mention of the "upgrade priority" benefit (within your status and fare). Is it still a benefit of the card or is it gone?

Thanks.
vgb2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 7:02 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: MKE
Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Posts: 3,214
It rarely/if ever makes a difference, do not get the card for that reason.
MR_MAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 7:11 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SAN
Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Posts: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA View Post
It rarely/if ever makes a difference, do not get the card for that reason.
Actually, my partner has the card and we hold same status. It happened a few times that he got upgraded and I did not and, more often, he got the upgrade at the window while I had to wait till gate upgrade. In our experience, it does make a difference.
vgb2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 7:31 pm   #4
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: DL PM, AA P, SPG PL, Hyatt Diamond,Hilton Gold, MR GL
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgb2001 View Post
Actually, my partner has the card and we hold same status. It happened a few times that he got upgraded and I did not and, more often, he got the upgrade at the window while I had to wait till gate upgrade. In our experience, it does make a difference.
Does this benefit only really come into play at the DM level? I'd be tempted but suspect it will do nothing for my lackluster UG rate as a PM.
nittany987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 7:38 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SAN
Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Posts: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany987 View Post
Does this benefit only really come into play at the DM level? I'd be tempted but suspect it will do nothing for my lackluster UG rate as a PM.
The example from above happened while we were PM. I think the car can make the difference between PMs to grab the last upgrade available after all DM and PM on higher fares.
vgb2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 7:38 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Look up - On a ✈ DELTA ✈ jet NOW!
Programs: DeltaPoints blog is ▶NOT◄ employed by or associated w/ Delta Air Lines. Views are my own
Posts: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany987 View Post
Does this benefit only really come into play at the DM level? I'd be tempted but suspect it will do nothing for my lackluster UG rate as a PM.
Keep in mind it is only a tie breaker when you are fighting a PM in the same fare class

http://cwsi.net/mupc/

Same goes for DM vs another DM etc.
__________________
DeltaPoints.com - BLOG * On Twitter * On Facebook * On DeltaMileageRun.com
Delta Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 7:53 pm   #7
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: DL PM, AA P, SPG PL, Hyatt Diamond,Hilton Gold, MR GL
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Points View Post
Keep in mind it is only a tie breaker when you are fighting a PM in the same fare class

http://cwsi.net/mupc/

Same goes for DM vs another DM etc.
Yeah, makes sense. My guess is that this won't be of much help for me. Thanks!
nittany987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 8:28 pm   #8
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA/San Jose, CA
Programs: DL Gold Medallion (former Diamond), Amex Reserve
Posts: 164
I am a Diamond and have the reserve card. I know for a fact it got me the upgrade on hub to hub flights (SLC<-->ATL) and I usually book lowest priced economy.

Just food for thought.
MrAAUGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 8:53 pm   #9
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Programs: DL DM; SPG PLAT
Posts: 119
amex Delta Reserve: still upgrade priority?

I got rid of the card in dec. Since then my UG percentage has been atrocious. I'm not sure if its the lack of card or FCM. :-(
DLLOVEHATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 10:28 pm   #10
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SAN
Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Posts: 1,311
So back to the original question: does anybody know if the benefit still exists? I cannot seem to be able to find it on the Amex website describing benefits of the Reserve card.
vgb2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 11:03 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Programs: DL PM, AA P, SPG PL, Hyatt Diamond,Hilton Gold, MR GL
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgb2001 View Post
So back to the original question: does anybody know if the benefit still exists? I cannot seem to be able to find it on the Amex website describing benefits of the Reserve card.
http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/cc_b...reserve_tc.php - Might be for business reserve card, but seems to be yes.
nittany987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 11:17 pm   #12
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SJC
Programs: UA 1K, DL Silver
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgb2001 View Post
So back to the original question: does anybody know if the benefit still exists? I cannot seem to be able to find it on the Amex website describing benefits of the Reserve card.
Google is your friend.

http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/us_c...php?cc=Reserve
blug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 13, 6:53 am   #13
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southwestern Connecticut
Programs: AA lifetime Gold , DL Gold, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 542
I got the Delta Reserve card and as a GM I feel it has helped me with upgrades, plus the fact it also includes entry into the Sky Club for myself and 2 guests makes it worth the cost of the card.

On a recent flight traveling with my wife, LGA to RSW on a slut fare on an Airbus with only 12 F seats, I was upgraded at the window, but my wife, who is FO was number 1 on the list at the gate with only 1 seat available and 3 other medallions were listed below her on the gate screen and she got the upgrade, I feel that charging the trip on our Delta Reserve card was the reason she was upgraded ahead of the others on the list.

Mr. Elliott
Mr. Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 13, 6:57 am   #14
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: DL PM, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Posts: 7,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott View Post
I got the Delta Reserve card and as a GM I feel it has helped me with upgrades, plus the fact it also includes entry into the Sky Club for myself and 2 guests makes it worth the cost of the card.

On a recent flight traveling with my wife, LGA to RSW on a slut fare on an Airbus with only 12 F seats, I was upgraded at the window, but my wife, who is FO was number 1 on the list at the gate with only 1 seat available and 3 other medallions were listed below her on the gate screen and she got the upgrade, I feel that charging the trip on our Delta Reserve card was the reason she was upgraded ahead of the others on the list.

Mr. Elliott
You might feel that but it's not the case unless those others on the wait list were FOs on the same fare class. I'm not sure it would help even then as its not her card.
HongKonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 13, 6:58 am   #15
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NYC
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 3,230
What doesn't show up on the AMEX site anymore either (which they claim new people will still get) is the free companion. Doesn't show up on PLT or Reserve.

My revent experience out of NY has been that the upgrade lists are MUCH MUCH longer than they used to be before. Perhaps that is because DL is expanding here and people are beginning to realize it is a viable option.

Based on that, assuming the reserve thing is true - I have to assume it makes a difference. If you are a PLT on a K fare, I have to believe there are many other PLT on K fares...this should theoretically help.

I have the DL Reserve Card, but unless you have a buddy with the same status on the flight like the poster above, I have no way to see if it truly made a difference
FlyAO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:17 am.