Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Competition Heats Up with AA

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
The real question is how much beefing up of its presence at LaX is delta doing. Is this new route about AA or is it about LAX.
Old May 10, 2013, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by jrl22
I can't see a new DL (or, as you wishfully mention, AS) nonstop poaching 40% of the O&D traffic from what must be 15-20 connecting options (UA, AA, DL, US, WN; others?) ... that said, AS has tended to do pretty well introducing mid-cons and transcons to/from SEA (PHL, AUS, ATL, FLL ... )
The other issue - do they all want or need to fly at the same time that this 1x daily flight would be offered? Probably not.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
The other issue - do they all want or need to fly at the same time that this 1x daily flight would be offered? Probably not.
that's the point ... just consider a redeye from SEA: how many of those 300 O&D pax are actually traveling overnight? DL has as many as four options (MSP, DTW, ATL, CVG), so they would actually be cannibalizing a portion of their own business along with trying to snag some traffic from UA (ORD, IAH, EWR, IAD), AA (ORD, DFW), and US (PHL, CLT)

AS, on the other hand, might see a better opportunity to fill that jet from SEA, but certainly the decision would have to be based on how well the numbers would work when combined with the 745am return flight ... I think that's why they dropped SEA-IAD about 2007 after ~4 years: the few times I took them, the redeyes were pretty full, but the westbounds ran at barely 50% load factor (the morning flight out of DCA has almost always been close to 90%)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.