Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by flymanbeast
Well you could standby for it?
+1. Think a lot of people here are forgetting that free standby is not going away for GM+.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Let me bottom line this:

Replacing SDC with SDS

Most flights most days only have Y available on DOD

More work for the GA's, less convenience for HVC

More oversales

Dumb move
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
[QUOTE=jrl22;20498367]iirc CO's SDC policy used to have the fare bucket restriction, which pretty well offset the 24-hr window; I'm not sure whether that has carried over to UA.../QUOTE]The UA guys, especially the pmCO flyers, consider the 24 hour window compensates for the fare bucket rule (which I would prefer does not get implemented by DL).

The problem here is that the window is only same day, not 24 hours so it requires a lot of work to be done on the change precisely at midnight, which we hope is calibrated in Eastern Time. I would guess that there now may be some trouble getting through on the phone at that hour since the website almost certainly will not be brought up to date to handle these changes.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:49 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
If the rules listed in the original post of this thread wind up being true then United is the clear winner with SDC.

There were arguments all day long about the pros/cons of UA's vs DL's SDC policy. But if DL really does go to a "same fare bucket" SDC option then UA wins hands down as they are available at the 24 hour mark while DL is only at the 3 hour mark.

-RM
See below, DL may be going to same day (with fee) rather than 3 hours. Though 24 hours is still better.

Originally Posted by andymo99
[*]The SDC request must be made before the departure time and on the same day as the ticketed flight. (You don't have to wait until 3 hours before the desired flight.) With redeye flights, it can be on the same day or the prior day.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:53 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I like the idea of getting more vdb vouchers actually
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Does the SAME fare bucket have to be available, or "same or lower?"

Logically one would think that if a lower fare bucket is available, all the higher ones ought to be available. But this isn't always the case. And it looks like there are going to be more instances where XVE are available while LUT are not, based on reports in this forum and the common assumption that XVE will be limited-perk deep discount fares.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Man, this is going to wreck SDC. With loads way way up, at T-3 hours you are often times lucky to just have Y available.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Are they going to grandfather in previously purchased tickets? I have a few flights after April that are purchased and hope they are going to honor the rules of SDC at the time of purchase.
Sadly, I doubt it. DL.com says:

"The same-day confirmed program is subject to change and the rules in effect on the date of travel will apply, regardless of the date of ticket purchase."
This looks pretty cut-and-dry - you might find a sympathetic agent, but the stated policy gives Delta an easy out.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Pretty shrewd move.....at least no one's talking about SkyMiles expiring at death now.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Pretty shrewd move.....at least no one's talking about SkyMiles expiring at death now.
Yep, corp guy lurks watching that thread fall as this one climbs. I'm certain the ebb & flow of these announcements has been carefully calculated in order to minimize uproar.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What about award tickets?

This seems to be more like United's policies ...
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Does the SAME fare bucket have to be available, or "same or lower?"

Logically one would think that if a lower fare bucket is available, all the higher ones ought to be available. But this isn't always the case. And it looks like there are going to be more instances where XVE are available while LUT are not, based on reports in this forum and the common assumption that XVE will be limited-perk deep discount fares.
Where is this common assumption? I'm currently booking my April flights and am seeing XV availability on various flights between ATL/NYC/LAS/MCO/MKE. Though I have yet to see an E fare except for that SAO MR a couple weeks ago.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by lamont2718
+1. Think a lot of people here are forgetting that free standby is not going away for GM+.
I'd much rather confirm myself from the skyclub, (or be able to grab a meal or something) and saunter over to the plane at boarding time than wait around to be cleared as a standby.

Confirmed is a big deal. I have no desire to louse around the gate area if avoidable.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
This means no more A fare LAX-SLC-JFK trick to get onto nonstop LAX-JFK in B/E.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
Originally Posted by lamont2718
Does standby allow one to change routing? Ie through ATL or MSP instead of non-stop?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.