Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bicostal
The crazy stupid part is that the rules become overly complicated that not even a good GA will be able to sort it out. The other crazy stupid is - you NEVER get back an empty seat once it leaves the gate. I would think that most SDCs are from later to earlier flights, not the other way around. Wouldn't it be to your advantage, Delta, to take excess capacity and slide it forward throughout the day?
Yep. All of my SDC are to earlier flights and I usually do it while on the road to the airport usually well under 3 hours prior to departure. I've even SDC to a flight that was F0Y1 and the flight left with many many empty seats.

Interesting enough the last time I did a same day confirmed (the other week) was on a flight from JFK-DCA (on a later flight). The flight had full availability 9s in all buckets but for some reason when I went to check in the agent said I was "standby" for the flight which confused me because I was also 1 for 1 on the upgrade list. He said they have you on standby for coach and for first class. He fixed it and assigned me a seat and by the time I got to the Sky Club my upgrade already cleared.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
Bubba, I actually agree with much of what you say, whether I'm an HVC or not (and believe me, I'm not). But to compare DL making a day-of decision to divert for safety (due to weather or whatever) to DL changing the rules for SDC is insane. If DL wants to change the rules for SDC, they have that right and from a business sense, I don't necessarily disagree with some of the changes. But DL does owe more advance notice to customers who bought a ticket with certain understandings and expectations, and that's not in any way comparable to a weather delay.
I couldn't agree more, but I wasn't the poster that questioned. Read back in the thread. NY FLA said he wouldn't pay for SDC unless an airline paid for delays and diversions. I was just curious as to why due to the reasons you outlined above. It is always done for safety. FLYDELTAJETS - YOU AND I COULDN'T BE MORE ON THE SAME PAGE WITH THIS. Read the thread and you will see his statement. I was just seeking clarification due to the reasons you stated.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I couldn't agree more, but I wasn't the poster that questioned. Read back in the thread. NY FLA said he wouldn't pay for SDC unless an airline paid for delays and diversions. I was just curious as to why due to the reasons you outlined above. It is always done for safety. FLYDELTAJETS - YOU AND I COULDN'T BE MORE ON THE SAME PAGE WITH THIS. Read the thread and you will see his statement. I was just seeking clarification due to the reasons you stated.
You're right. Double checked. Fair enough ^
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:04 am

I was self-employed for 12 years. At that point, I was definitely a LVC because travel costs came directly off of my bottom line. As I have posted in threads from years ago, I was airline agnostic because the rewards of low-tier elite just did not have anything in it that I couldn't live without.

Before then, I was a college student. During that phase of my life/career I was such a cheapskate that I am sure the airlines (and Amtrak) would have refused to sell me tickets if they had then had the granularity of data to be able to tell who I was. Case in point: the time I flew SLC-SYD on a ticket with a net cost to me of $259, which earned me double frequent flyer miles and mid-level elite status (the bonus miles counted towards elite tier qualification).

For the last eight years, I have been a corporate cog. Initially, I continued to be airline agnostic, selecting whatever flights had the schedule I needed at a price that was consistent with our corporate travel policies. But then, Delta pulled a lever that made me give all my business to them so that I could become "elite." They made the best coach seats "preferred." And so I am now "loyal" to Delta.

Being able to pre-select my own seat is a carrot that I value. That is why I have never given Southwest my LUV and again won't on my flight next week to Manchester, NH, even though Southwest had the better schedule and (slightly) lower fares than did DL.

The point of this screed is to recognize that things change (including myself).

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm Reason: Removed personal reference to a fellow FlyerTalk member.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Ok, so this is supposed to go into effect one week from today and there's still no announcement. This is pretty unbelievable...
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by SamOF
Ok, so this is supposed to go into effect one week from today and there's still no announcement. This is pretty unbelievable...
Yet fairly standard for DL.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
There are plenty of mid value customers who might not be visible on Delta's frequent flyer programs. I approve travel for about $15,000 a year for my staff and $20,000 a year for my family. These proposed changes devalue Delta greatly for me, even out of MSP. Particularly given the in affordability of redeeming miles from Europe to the US.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I do know that at DTW, I will often go to standard security because SkyPriority is 3x as long. ANYTHING DL is doing to thin the herd is needed and welcome in my book. UG lists shouldn't be 1/2 the plane.
If Delta creates an elite program that is truly elite how will they get buy in from the masses? How will it sell billions of miles to American Express for billions of dollars?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by SamOF
What's so unbelievable about it?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by hazelrah
If Delta creates an elite program that is truly elite how will they get buy in from the masses? How will it sell billions of miles to American Express for billions of dollars?
If what has been reported elsewhere is correct, the rate is 1.4 cents/mile... so billions of miles for 0.014 billions of dollars.

But, your point is well taken. SM relies on a lot of LVC believing they have skin in the game.

The more they realize that for them SM is a house of cards, the less incentive they have to stop and listen to the credit card hawkers on the airline concourses.

Why do you suppose that AMEX no longer advertises that their sign up bonus is "enough for one free ticket"?

Or, was that change in advertising made in anticipation of FUBAR roll out?
Old Apr 9, 2013, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Originally Posted by hazelrah
If what has been reported elsewhere is correct, the rate is 1.4 cents/mile... so billions of miles for 0.014 billions of dollars.

But, your point is well taken. SM relies on a lot of LVC believing they have skin in the game.

The more they realize that for them SM is a house of cards, the less incentive they have to stop and listen to the credit card hawkers on the airline concourses.

Why do you suppose that AMEX no longer advertises that their sign up bonus is "enough for one free ticket"?

Or, was that change in advertising made in anticipation of FUBAR roll out?
Because Amex isn't exempt from most laws regarding deceptive advertising, as DL is.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 9:14 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

This discussion — which may be opened again once clean-up has been done — is now closed due to all of this vitriol over a policy change which has yet to be officially announced.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.