Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Tickets through Amex Travel...earn full MQM?

Tickets through Amex Travel...earn full MQM?

Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by mspreh
Yes you will earn it just as if you bought the ticket by paying with your American Express, Visa, or any other card on Amex Travel or Expedia (the engine driving Amex Travel now). You will even earn the MQD on the transaction!

Actually I think it's a pretty good use if you find an inexpensive ticket. If the cpm is low you can really come out ahead. A few years ago Platinum used to have 20% off on points used to book travel, then it was amazing. I booked a mistake fair to CPG on DL with points, cost me 18,500 roughly in MR points, because of status I earned 23,000 Miles on DL roughly, plus the MQM's for status, and hit a bonus DL offered then if I flew so much I would get 50,000 bonus RDM's. I think that was the best use of MR points ever for me.

A lot of changes since then. So what is the best value for MR points?
Wait amextravel bookings earn MQD too?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
There are Amex Travel which deals with wholesale bookings as well, usually to resort destinations, so it's buyer beware.

Jiburi
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL DM
I've booked several times over the years with Amex travel and never had a problem getting MQMs, but the advice above about looking closely at fare designations is probably good.

Also, just recently I cobbled together a crazy international, multi-carrier, split coach outbound, premium econ return for 8 people on ITA.

After trying with all the online engines, DL, AZ, AF phone agents directly and even a waste-of-time try with an Expdia "agent," I thought to call the AX platinum travel line.

The agent was a genius and got me the exact tickets I wanted. I had to pay a fee $29 or $39, I think, but it was WELL worth it.

And everyone got MQMs. (Honestly not sure about MQDs though.)
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by remyontheroad
I've booked several times over the years with Amex travel and never had a problem getting MQMs, but the advice above about looking closely at fare designations is probably good.

Also, just recently I cobbled together a crazy international, multi-carrier, split coach outbound, premium econ return for 8 people on ITA.

After trying with all the online engines, DL, AZ, AF phone agents directly and even a waste-of-time try with an Expdia "agent," I thought to call the AX platinum travel line.

The agent was a genius and got me the exact tickets I wanted. I had to pay a fee $29 or $39, I think, but it was WELL worth it.

And everyone got MQMs. (Honestly not sure about MQDs though.)
For more complicated flights use a flight service like flight fox.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I just got full MQMs and MQDs for a DL round trip SJC-SEA last weekend. Had been waiting to test this on this shorter trip. Now I think I'll book all my travel through AMEX travel. Also was upgraded on both directions.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM
How would flight fox have helped me?

Sounds like a bunch of people like us - who have the means/skills/experience to search, but not the means to book.

I needed direct GDS access and an Amex Plat agent was the answer.

Originally Posted by SansSerif
For more complicated flights use a flight service like flight fox.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Yes you will earn it just as if you bought the ticket by paying with your American Express, Visa, or any other card on Amex Travel or Expedia (the engine driving Amex Travel now). You will even earn the MQD on the transaction!
Awesome, thanks for the report. I thought I remembered seeing something on BA a while back saying that this was no longer the case, but it's good to know that booking DL tickets with AMEX MR still gets treated as regular published fares.

Actually I think it's a pretty good use if you find an inexpensive ticket. If the cpm is low you can really come out ahead. A few years ago Platinum used to have 20% off on points used to book travel, then it was amazing. I booked a mistake fair to CPG on DL with points, cost me 18,500 roughly in MR points, because of status I earned 23,000 Miles on DL roughly, plus the MQM's for status, and hit a bonus DL offered then if I flew so much I would get 50,000 bonus RDM's. I think that was the best use of MR points ever for me.

A lot of changes since then. So what is the best value for MR points?
It seems the best value/pt is transfer to airline/hotel programs to get more than $0.01/pt in value, but I don't have enough remaining for this to be worth it for me.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by remyontheroad

How can you view this information before completing the booking? I'm using the consumer AMEX travel site for MR bookings.

Originally Posted by roknroll
I just got full MQMs and MQDs for a DL round trip SJC-SEA last weekend. Had been waiting to test this on this shorter trip. Now I think I'll book all my travel through AMEX travel. Also was upgraded on both directions.
Thanks for the report! You can get an extra MR pt/$ for booking through their site as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.