Search

SWU road-rage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
SWU road-rage

I have always played the game.
Sometimes almost enjoying the search to find the right connections with Z or now OP availability. It always eventually worked out, even as the prices increased.
But it really is getting ridiculous. Im entering my 4 week of searching for SEA-MAD / AMS-SEA in May to use my almost worthless SWU's.

Ahh...I fondly recall the old NW, then CO days when you could still find discount rates to use international mileage upgrades or SWU's. I remember enjoying my international flights, believing I was receiving a true benefit for being a loyal customer. I really felt appreciated.

I remember the realization that I would need to spend $2k+ for a M fare. Ok, I thought, this still a heck of a lot cheaper than having to spend 4k for a business class ticket. I still felt somewhat appreciated.

I eventually even accepted the fact that I would need to spend $3k+ for M fares... As long as I could still get the flights & connections I needed, I was willing to pay the extra money, although I felt a little less appreciated.

Now I find myself in a fruitless search for weeks on EF to find the open seats for the "privilege" to use my exclusive "BENEFIT" of spending $3700 for an M fare. Am I a complete idiot? What am I thinking? I'm thinking this is a complete waste of time. And I do not feel appreciated at all. In moments of weakness, I have even considered just spending the $4700 for a business class ticket to avoid the hassle.
But then, whats the point? Why even be a FF of a particular airline?

As a million mile DM, Im beginning to think the game just isn't any fun any more, and definitely not worth the effort. I admit, I like the domestic upgrade system the DE has. I rarely miss an UG. But the SWU and international UG systems stink - bad. In fact its getting to be a deal killer for me. I'm sure Im not alone here, but I think Im the fool for playing the game. Last year I spent about $24k with Delta, this year I am going to start spending on AA or UA for international travel. I just dont see the point any more.

Ok - done venting. Time to get back to more creative EF searches. Its such a habit now, I dont know what I would do with my time.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Many threads already about this topic, and there will probably be many more.

Seems there is reduced intl UG inventory now, if available at all. In other words, we are left to purchase M fares with nothing more than a hope that UG inventory will be released before our flts. As if that is not scary and bad enough, now those expensive M fares do not earn the bonus MQM's anymore.

Welcome to the club, padre. You have lots of company.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
I missed the M bonus was taken away. But yep... gonzo.

If I was still flying a lot I would be giving UA a serious tryout.

Last edited by doglover; Mar 10, 2013 at 5:39 pm
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:08 pm

Too bad Alitalia doesn't fly to SEA.

Less than $2k for a full prem economy ticket + 12.5k miles each way gets you in business. And the upgrades book into revenue discounted biz class inventory.

And the fare earns 200% mile bonus. So a transatlantic leg earns 8,000 miles each way, almost pays for the upgrade.

Reliability...well...get what you pay for. But it's a nice product.

If you're not elite and have a Membership Rewards or Starwood card it's a nice self funding upgrade mechanism.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

Less than $2k for a full prem economy ticket + 12.5k miles each way gets you in business. And the upgrades book into revenue discounted biz class inventory.

And the fare earns 200% mile bonus. So a transatlantic leg earns 8,000 miles each way, almost pays for the upgrade.

If you're not elite and have a Membership Rewards or Starwood card it's a nice self funding upgrade mechanism.
Looking at DL.com, AZ premium economy earns 150%. Even if upgraded, earnings are usually based on fare class purchased.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_.../alitalia.html

I did not know miles could be used for AZ upgrades.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer

Are you sure? Upgrades using DL miles follow DL program rules and AFAIK only FULL Y upgrades would cost so few miles. I would expect the upgrade rules for AZ to be very similar to upgrades on AF/KLM when using DL miles, although AZ might well offer a better deal when using AZ miles or as an AZ elite. I haven't researched this, but I'm skeptical. Make sure that you're looking at the DL website for DL rules about using DL miles to upgrade on partners. Remember too that you earn miles on the fare that was purchased, not the upgraded fare class.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:07 am

Programs: Delta PM
SWU road-rage

I'm on the same boat. I'm starting to think I won't be able to use my SWU "benefits" this year.
Currently, I'm sitting in the KLM Crown Lounge in AMS. Booked my IST-AMS-IAD ticket weeks ago and chose seat 14A in Econ. Comfort. When I checked in in IST they put me on 42D, all the way on the back of the plane! The lounge attendant was very upset about this recurring issue and urged me to write to Delta about the issue. Of course window seats are no longer available.
I became a Delta flyer when I lived in ATL. Now I live in WAS and have contemplated switching alliances a few times. Maybe it's time to take another look at *A.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:17 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
SWU road-rage

Yet another thread with high spend per seat-mile customers feeling shafted by the now-uselessness of SWUs. Are you listening, DL?

This just in, I am receiving an answer...

"No, we're not listening."

Best in class!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:38 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Upset?

Speak with your wallet. Don't buy the M+ fares on DL in hope of an ug opp... Go buy a Biz class ticket on another airline....
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:39 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Boony,
Why are you still flying DL? Never heard the saying "Fool me once....

2MM on DL. I bailed 4 or 5 years ago. 300k BIS on UA/*A last year. Never fly in the back. Fly in/out of SEA a lot.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:43 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Boony1970
Sometimes almost enjoying the search to find the right connections with Z or now OP availability. It always eventually worked out, even as the prices increased.
But it really is getting ridiculous. Im entering my 4 week of searching for SEA-MAD / AMS-SEA in May to use my almost worthless SWU's.

Ahh...I fondly recall the old NW, then CO days when you could still find discount rates to use international mileage upgrades or SWU's. I remember enjoying my international flights, believing I was receiving a true benefit for being a loyal customer. I really felt appreciated.

I remember the realization that I would need to spend $2k+ for a M fare. Ok, I thought, this still a heck of a lot cheaper than having to spend 4k for a business class ticket. I still felt somewhat appreciated.

I eventually even accepted the fact that I would need to spend $3k+ for M fares... As long as I could still get the flights & connections I needed, I was willing to pay the extra money, although I felt a little less appreciated.

Now I find myself in a fruitless search for weeks on EF to find the open seats for the "privilege" to use my exclusive "BENEFIT" of spending $3700 for an M fare. Am I a complete idiot? What am I thinking? I'm thinking this is a complete waste of time. And I do not feel appreciated at all. In moments of weakness, I have even considered just spending the $4700 for a business class ticket to avoid the hassle.

As a million mile DM, Im beginning to think the game just isn't any fun any more, and definitely not worth the effort. I admit, I like the domestic upgrade system the DE has. I rarely miss an UG. But the SWU and international UG systems stink - bad. In fact its getting to be a deal killer for me. I'm sure Im not alone here, but I think Im the fool for playing the game. Last year I spent about $24k with Delta, this year I am going to start spending on AA or UA for international travel. I just dont see the point any more.

Ok - done venting. Time to get back to more creative EF searches. Its such a habit now, I dont know what I would do with my time.
By your evidence above, the SWU is worth $1000.

That's a pretty nice perk, in my opinion.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bubbashow

Would agree with you, bubba, except for a very big BUT...

Here's an example. I can fly EC to Asia for ~$1.5K. If flying on an M fare so I can use a SWU, the fare skyrockets to ~$4.5-5.5K while a biz fare is usually ~$8-9K.

Say I select the M fare. There is no UG inventory so I am left with nothing more than HOPE that DL releases those UG seats. If they do, I paid ~$3-4K extra to sit up front, a definite savings over the biz fare.

OTOH, what if DL never releases any UG seats? Now I paid 3-4x more for a seat that I could have had anyway. Oh, and I have also lost the previous MQM bonus because DL has taken it away.

Yes, the SWU has value -- albeit expensive -- but ONLY IF the upgrade comes through. Otherwise, it is $$$ down the drain and with DL holding back UG intl inventory, this is simply much too great a risk for many flyers.

Now does it really look like such a great perk?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 5khours
Boony,
Why are you still flying DL? Never heard the saying "Fool me once....

2MM on DL. I bailed 4 or 5 years ago. 300k BIS on UA/*A last year. Never fly in the back. Fly in/out of SEA a lot.
Did you tell DL why?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Originally Posted by Boony1970

Yeah it's a lot like a gold bar. Worth a lot, but try to buy something with it.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 3M; AA, FB, UA some lower status
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Would agree with you, bubba, except for a very big BUT...

Here's an example. I can fly EC to Asia for ~$1.5K. If flying on an M fare so I can use a SWU, the fare skyrockets to ~$4.5-5.5K while a biz fare is usually ~$8-9K.

Say I select the M fare. There is no UG inventory so I am left with nothing more than HOPE that DL releases those UG seats. If they do, I paid ~$3-4K extra to sit up front, a definite savings over the biz fare.

OTOH, what if DL never releases any UG seats? Now I paid 3-4x more for a seat that I could have had anyway. Oh, and I have also lost the previous MQM bonus because DL has taken it away.

Yes, the SWU has value -- albeit expensive -- but ONLY IF the upgrade comes through. Otherwise, it is $$$ down the drain and with DL holding back UG intl inventory, this is simply much too great a risk for many flyers.

Now does it really look like such a great perk?
In my experience (admittedly, I gave up on SWUs several years ago), any flight that has Z inventory for the SWU also has discounted biz fares available, sometimes only a couple hundred $$ more than the M fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.