Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Free" Alcohol in EC--Just Blowing Smoke?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program

A listed benefit of EC for international flights (except Canada, Mexico and Carribbean) is free wine, beer, and spirits.

However, on my most recent such flights (LAX-SYD-LAX ATL-EZE and SCL-ATL), EVERYONE in Y was offered beer and wine, not just those in EC. I was never specifically offered "spirits" (nor was any announcement specifically directed to pax in EC offering them anything different from what was being offered to everyone in Y).

So why is this listed as a "benefit" of flying in EC? And the wine is lousy boxed wine. I am not a spirits drinker, but my wife enjoys an occasional Jack and Ginger. If we had specifically requested liquor while in EC, would we have gotten it for free? Otherwise, I don't see that there is anything special about the beverage service in EC compared to Y.

Am I missing something? If so, please educate me.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Wine and beer are free in all of Y. If seated in EC, you can have spirits for free. I suspect that because there's no separation between the cabins, the FAs don't announced "Hey, you seated in rows XX-YY. You can have Woodford Reserve for free, too, if you want it!" (I've heard rumors that DL stocks other spirits, but I cannot fathom why anyone would want to consume them when Woodford is on offer.)
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The international EC benefit specifically is free hard alcohol. You probably have to ask for it, maybe reminding the FA that it should be free for you. AFAIK DL gives free wine and beer in coach on all long haul international flights, but I guess this could change.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I never have had a problem getting my Woodford in long haul EC (that is where most of my BIS miles are earned). But I don't think they have ever announced it -- many of my flights have had people seated in EC because regular E was full, so not announcing means only those who paid (via status or $$) probably order booze.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by DLFan2
A listed benefit of EC for international flights (except Canada, Mexico and Carribbean) is free wine, beer, and spirits.

However, on my most recent such flights (LAX-SYD-LAX ATL-EZE and SCL-ATL), EVERYONE in Y was offered beer and wine, not just those in EC. I was never specifically offered "spirits" (nor was any announcement specifically directed to pax in EC offering them anything different from what was being offered to everyone in Y).

So why is this listed as a "benefit" of flying in EC? And the wine is lousy boxed wine. I am not a spirits drinker, but my wife enjoys an occasional Jack and Ginger. If we had specifically requested liquor while in EC, would we have gotten it for free? Otherwise, I don't see that there is anything special about the beverage service in EC compared to Y.

As others have said the only difference is that spirits are also free in EC. All you have to do is ask.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would be a more useful benefit if one could get higher quality wine.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Good information.

And if I asked for a glass of the wine being served up front (instead of the boxed stuff), should I expect to be accommodated, or is that asking too much?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AA ExecP

If it is a listed benefit, then why didn't you just ask for a Jack and Ginger?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flying_q
If it is a listed benefit, then why didn't you just ask for a Jack and Ginger?
Only after the fact I saw that "spirits" was listed along with beer and wine. My wife only traveled with me on the most recent trip, so I had not thought about it previously (being only interested in the wine).
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DM
With the announcement of new "Premium" wines in transcon EC, I'm hoping that that will become available systemwide (including Int'l!) and become one of the perks of EC.

I generally avoid beer on flights and just prefer to sip wine over booze.

If so it could be a real step up from that awful box swill.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Good information.

And if I asked for a glass of the wine being served up front (instead of the boxed stuff), should I expect to be accommodated, or is that asking too much?
This is not offered in EC, but there's no harm in asking.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:31 am
Suspended

Woodford

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Wine and beer are free in all of Y. If seated in EC, you can have spirits for free. I suspect that because there's no separation between the cabins, the FAs don't announced "Hey, you seated in rows XX-YY. You can have Woodford Reserve for free, too, if you want it!" (I've heard rumors that DL stocks other spirits, but I cannot fathom why anyone would want to consume them when Woodford is on offer.)
So so correct. I sit as far front in EC as possible on int'l flights to get it.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Not all boxed wine is swill--it's not the 70s--and some of DL's stock isn't bad at all. Last summer I had a very decent Cotes du Rhone on several TATL flights on DL that was as good as the BE offerings that month (which is to say: not super, but hardly plonk).
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM
Oh, I'm not opposed to box wine in principle - just what I've tasted in those crappy little tetrapaks from DL.

Admittedly, I've stopped trying, but very low expectations.

As a side note - most of the local wine cooperatives in France have moved over to selling all sorts of fantastic stuff in boxes that they used to pump into jugs you brought yourself.

Not only practical for home use, but also very practical for taking to countries where local offerings are revolting, extraordinarily overpriced, or both.

(Hint: see my locations)
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
The international EC benefit specifically is free hard alcohol/ spirits.
I just state what I want, like yesterday Feb 25 on the AMS-MSP flight I asked for Single Malt Scotch on the rocks and was given 2 small bottles of Glenlivet with ice in a plastic cup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.