Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 26, 13, 9:04 am   #1
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: VPS
Programs: DL-PM. AA,QF,UA. Every imaginable hotel program, but use Hotwire and Priceline whenever possible!
Posts: 2,251
"Free" Alcohol in EC--Just Blowing Smoke?

A listed benefit of EC for international flights (except Canada, Mexico and Carribbean) is free wine, beer, and spirits.

However, on my most recent such flights (LAX-SYD-LAX ATL-EZE and SCL-ATL), EVERYONE in Y was offered beer and wine, not just those in EC. I was never specifically offered "spirits" (nor was any announcement specifically directed to pax in EC offering them anything different from what was being offered to everyone in Y).

So why is this listed as a "benefit" of flying in EC? And the wine is lousy boxed wine. I am not a spirits drinker, but my wife enjoys an occasional Jack and Ginger. If we had specifically requested liquor while in EC, would we have gotten it for free? Otherwise, I don't see that there is anything special about the beverage service in EC compared to Y.

Am I missing something? If so, please educate me.
__________________
Ire fortiter quo ante iit nemo
DLFan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 9:07 am   #2
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Shenandoah Valley (Fly ROA/CHO/IAD)
Programs: DL PM; TK *G; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Posts: 7,852
Wine and beer are free in all of Y. If seated in EC, you can have spirits for free. I suspect that because there's no separation between the cabins, the FAs don't announced "Hey, you seated in rows XX-YY. You can have Woodford Reserve for free, too, if you want it!" (I've heard rumors that DL stocks other spirits, but I cannot fathom why anyone would want to consume them when Woodford is on offer.)
mtkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 9:10 am   #3
TalkBoard Member, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.003MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 29,697
The international EC benefit specifically is free hard alcohol. You probably have to ask for it, maybe reminding the FA that it should be free for you. AFAIK DL gives free wine and beer in coach on all long haul international flights, but I guess this could change.
__________________
Happily celebrating 2MM with DL/NW!
MSPeconomist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 9:26 am   #4
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: LAX
Programs: DL DM (for now)
Posts: 3,179
I never have had a problem getting my Woodford in long haul EC (that is where most of my BIS miles are earned). But I don't think they have ever announced it -- many of my flights have had people seated in EC because regular E was full, so not announcing means only those who paid (via status or $$) probably order booze.
__________________
2014: 3/4; TATL OpUp 0/4; FCM 4; 2013: 16/22; TATL OpUp 2/11; Paid BE UG 1; N/A 8
HaveBeerWillTravel.com
TheMadBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 9:32 am   #5
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: DL PM, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Posts: 6,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFan2 View Post
A listed benefit of EC for international flights (except Canada, Mexico and Carribbean) is free wine, beer, and spirits.

However, on my most recent such flights (LAX-SYD-LAX ATL-EZE and SCL-ATL), EVERYONE in Y was offered beer and wine, not just those in EC. I was never specifically offered "spirits" (nor was any announcement specifically directed to pax in EC offering them anything different from what was being offered to everyone in Y).

So why is this listed as a "benefit" of flying in EC? And the wine is lousy boxed wine. I am not a spirits drinker, but my wife enjoys an occasional Jack and Ginger. If we had specifically requested liquor while in EC, would we have gotten it for free? Otherwise, I don't see that there is anything special about the beverage service in EC compared to Y.

Am I missing something? If so, please educate me.
As others have said the only difference is that spirits are also free in EC. All you have to do is ask.
HongKonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 9:33 am   #6
TalkBoard Member, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.003MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 29,697
It would be a more useful benefit if one could get higher quality wine.
__________________
Happily celebrating 2MM with DL/NW!
MSPeconomist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 9:35 am   #7
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: VPS
Programs: DL-PM. AA,QF,UA. Every imaginable hotel program, but use Hotwire and Priceline whenever possible!
Posts: 2,251
Good information.


And if I asked for a glass of the wine being served up front (instead of the boxed stuff), should I expect to be accommodated, or is that asking too much?
__________________
Ire fortiter quo ante iit nemo
DLFan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 9:36 am   #8
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFan2 View Post

So why is this listed as a "benefit" of flying in EC? And the wine is lousy boxed wine. I am not a spirits drinker, but my wife enjoys an occasional Jack and Ginger. If we had specifically requested liquor while in EC, would we have gotten it for free? Otherwise, I don't see that there is anything special about the beverage service in EC compared to Y.

Am I missing something? If so, please educate me.
If it is a listed benefit, then why didn't you just ask for a Jack and Ginger?
flying_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 9:47 am   #9
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: VPS
Programs: DL-PM. AA,QF,UA. Every imaginable hotel program, but use Hotwire and Priceline whenever possible!
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_q View Post
If it is a listed benefit, then why didn't you just ask for a Jack and Ginger?
Only after the fact I saw that "spirits" was listed along with beer and wine. My wife only traveled with me on the most recent trip, so I had not thought about it previously (being only interested in the wine).
__________________
Ire fortiter quo ante iit nemo
DLFan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 10:03 am   #10
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC, IST, CDG, NCE
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 2,240
With the announcement of new "Premium" wines in transcon EC, I'm hoping that that will become available systemwide (including Int'l!) and become one of the perks of EC.

I generally avoid beer on flights and just prefer to sip wine over booze.

If so it could be a real step up from that awful box swill.
remyontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 10:12 am   #11
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: DL PM, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Posts: 6,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFan2 View Post
Good information.


And if I asked for a glass of the wine being served up front (instead of the boxed stuff), should I expect to be accommodated, or is that asking too much?
This is not offered in EC, but there's no harm in asking.
HongKonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 10:31 am   #12
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,548
Woodford

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
Wine and beer are free in all of Y. If seated in EC, you can have spirits for free. I suspect that because there's no separation between the cabins, the FAs don't announced "Hey, you seated in rows XX-YY. You can have Woodford Reserve for free, too, if you want it!" (I've heard rumors that DL stocks other spirits, but I cannot fathom why anyone would want to consume them when Woodford is on offer.)
So so correct. I sit as far front in EC as possible on int'l flights to get it.
DaddyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 10:42 am   #13
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Programs: DL Gold
Posts: 648
Not all boxed wine is swill--it's not the 70s--and some of DL's stock isn't bad at all. Last summer I had a very decent Cotes du Rhone on several TATL flights on DL that was as good as the BE offerings that month (which is to say: not super, but hardly plonk).
ryanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 12:05 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC, IST, CDG, NCE
Programs: DL PM
Posts: 2,240
Oh, I'm not opposed to box wine in principle - just what I've tasted in those crappy little tetrapaks from DL.

Admittedly, I've stopped trying, but very low expectations.

As a side note - most of the local wine cooperatives in France have moved over to selling all sorts of fantastic stuff in boxes that they used to pump into jugs you brought yourself.

Not only practical for home use, but also very practical for taking to countries where local offerings are revolting, extraordinarily overpriced, or both.

(Hint: see my locations)
remyontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 13, 12:51 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: DL Diamond, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice Diamond
Posts: 1,497
The international EC benefit specifically is free hard alcohol/ spirits.
I just state what I want, like yesterday Feb 25 on the AMS-MSP flight I asked for Single Malt Scotch on the rocks and was given 2 small bottles of Glenlivet with ice in a plastic cup.
dd1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:06 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.