Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Free" Alcohol in EC--Just Blowing Smoke?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Free" Alcohol in EC--Just Blowing Smoke?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by ryanm
Not all boxed wine is swill--it's not the 70s--and some of DL's stock isn't bad at all. Last summer I had a very decent Cotes du Rhone on several TATL flights on DL that was as good as the BE offerings that month (which is to say: not super, but hardly plonk).
Giant Food in Alexandria, VA was selling milk carton packages of Bandit wines for $7.99.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I travel in EC (complimentary due to PM status) regularly on TATLs -particularly on DL64/65. I confirm that liquor (Gin, vodka, whisky, Baileys etc.) is available as an extra benefit. The rest of Y gets wine and beer free. You also have little chance of running out of your meal choice as EC gets served first.

Originally Posted by mtkeller
I've heard rumors that DL stocks other spirits, I confirm this is true
but I cannot fathom why anyone would want to consume them when Woodford is on offer.)
On TATLs I actually prefer Sapphire or Tanqueray and Tonic. Woodford is what I drink on the connectors - it is indeed a lovely bourbon. God I do miss the IND Skyclub - they serve it free too.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Wine and beer are free in all of Y. If seated in EC, you can have spirits for free. I suspect that because there's no separation between the cabins, the FAs don't announced "Hey, you seated in rows XX-YY. You can have Woodford Reserve for free, too, if you want it!" (I've heard rumors that DL stocks other spirits, but I cannot fathom why anyone would want to consume them when Woodford is on offer.)
Many times you'll want Skyy or Absolut for that Bloody Mary when you wake up following a heavy night of Woodfords on a Transcon. I assume this is the sole reason they are stocked.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
I was offered two woodford reserve.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Woodford is what I drink on the connectors - it is indeed a lovely bourbon. God I do miss the IND Skyclub - they serve it free too.
Hmmmm. I may be flying to IND and picked up by some colleagues en route to a conference at CMI. I might have to give them a fictitious arrival time so that I can go to the SkyClub and have a Woodford or two before they pick me up.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmontemb
Many times you'll want Skyy or Absolut for that Bloody Mary when you wake up following a heavy night of Woodfords on a Transcon. I assume this is the sole reason they are stocked.
That is a good point -
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would be a more useful benefit if one could get higher quality wine.
Or any decent beer
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Or any decent beer
You don't like heineken or heineken???
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Hmmmm. I may be flying to IND and picked up by some colleagues en route to a conference at CMI. I might have to give them a fictitious arrival time so that I can go to the SkyClub and have a Woodford or two before they pick me up.
^ I always do this at any arrival airport with a Skyclub when someone is picking me up. I usually tell them I'll arrive about 30 - 45 minutes after the actual arrival time. Also nice since I can just run down to baggage claim and my bag will be there waiting for me.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I would not be surprised if you asked about the wine in BE nicely if some FA's might offer it to customers sitting in EC...
Old Feb 27, 2013, 2:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I would not be surprised if you asked about the wine in BE nicely if some FA's might offer it to customers sitting in EC...
I managed to score a nice glass of German dessert wine from LH IFC when I was sitting in business, probably because the FA thought I would appreciate it. I was pretty amazed.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I managed to score a nice glass of German dessert wine from LH IFC when I was sitting in business, probably because the FA thought I would appreciate it. I was pretty amazed.
Spatlese?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
No. Spätlese.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Or any decent beer
+1. I really miss the Beer of Destination program. It seemed to go away right when craft beers really started to take off.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLFan2
No. Spätlese.
Thanks for the correction and BTW that is cool - did you cut and paste from Word to get that symbol in? Love it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.