Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is it wise to buy skyclub membership with skypesos?

Is it wise to buy skyclub membership with skypesos?

Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by agarc
I paid for my SC membership...but I would've totally used miles if I had the chance (I didn't have enough as I was new to DL). Clubs are too crowded to justify paying actual cash IMO. Coming from UA, 40K miles is on par with what I would've spent as a 1K (when UA allowed membership dues via miles). So, I say go for it, especially if you know you won't make Diamond.

FWIW, I only use my miles for flying friends and family - if I'm flying, I'm earning. My $0.02.
One would assume that the "crowdiness" factor of the clubs should have no effect on valuation of the miles, but I guess everyone is different.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL-DM
Before I reached DM I did the monthly plan......made more sense in my mind.......was worth it
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:07 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by rusrocket
One would assume that the "crowdiness" factor of the clubs should have no effect on valuation of the miles, but I guess everyone is different.
Agreed. Some comments in this thread don't seem to make much sense to me.

I paid for my SC membership...but I would've totally used miles if I had the chance (I didn't have enough as I was new to DL). Clubs are too crowded to justify paying actual cash IMO...
FWIW, I only use my miles for flying friends and family - if I'm flying, I'm earning. My $0.02.
Whether clubs are crowded or not shouldn't make a difference as to how you pay for them. Only using miles to fly friends and family also shouldn't make a difference. You only have a limited number of miles. So if you use miles for a club membership, that means you will have fewer miles to use for friends and family, so someone would (theoretically) have to end up paying cash for their flight since you used miles for the club.

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I've purchased my SC membership with miles for three years in a row. I rarely use award tickets for myself (I need to be earning miles), only for family, and can afford to spend the miles more easily than dollars. I usually have at least 200,000 SkyMiles in my account, so it doesn't make a huge dent in my supply.
If one is cash-strapped I can see the reasoning to use miles vs. cash. But as stated above, just because one uses miles for family doesn't mean using miles for a club membership is a good deal. Also, using 40K miles for membership is 20% of your "supply." Whether that is a "huge dent" or not is subjective. Some people would say it is in fact. Obviously you say it isn't.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:14 pm

I just checked out finished delta auctions. I wish I could buy miles of the winning bidders. 103K miles for a $100 gift card, are you kidding me?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
ThePointsGuy has a recent post debating this question - http://thepointsguy.com/2013/02/payi...iles-worth-it/
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
You are effectively selling your miles for 0.75 cents per mile. So it all depends on how much you value the skypesos. I personally value skypesos at around 1.2 cents so if I were in your situation I would pay 300$. If you take a look at the delta auctions, you will see that some people value skypesos at close to 0. Everyone is different. Good luck.
I would think more and more people value them at 0.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
I do value having access to the club. But, given how crowded and non-exclusive (read: quiet, peaceful) they are, I would prefer to use throw-away miles to get membership rather than paying actual cash. Offer a better product, and I'll have no qualms paying cash for it.

If I'm flying, I'm banking miles and reaching status...never spending miles for my own flights.

Not sure why this is perplexing to some.
YMMV.

Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:29 pm

I do value having access to the club. But, given how crowded and non-exclusive (read: quiet, peaceful) they are, I would prefer to use throw-away miles to get membership rather than paying actual cash. Offer a better product, and I'll have no qualms paying cash for it.
Hopefully, the gods of logic and common sense will have mercy on your soul. Amen.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
If I'm flying, I'm banking miles and reaching status...never spending miles for my own flights.
I agree, I use SM for flights for my kids when they are traveling with us. I don't use them for shopping or really anything other than flights because the redemption value is even lower than it is for flights. Since I already have Amex Reserve for MQMs I don't need it for SkyClub access, but I find a lot of value in the SkyClub only because the general gate environment is even worse than the SkyClub environment.

If you don't need the points for your own travel (because you want to retain or increase status) then SkyClub seems like a decent way to reduce your point balance IMHO.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:32 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by troyintn
I would think more and more people value them at 0.
I keep hearing that, but I have yet to find anyone who will either gift me Skymiles or trade them with me for next to 0. So I really don't believe you. Or are you saying that you are one of those "more and more people" who place such a value on them and would love to donate them to me??

I would prefer to use throw-away miles to get membership rather than paying actual cash...Not sure why this is perplexing to some.
I rarely consider any miles as "throw-away miles" so that is why it is perplexing. The only time I consider miles "throw-away miles" is when the balance is so small I can't even get a newspaper or magazine subscription with them. I love the 13-week Sunday newspaper subscription (I would otherwise pay $26) that costs me 600 miles. Since I would buy the paper at $2 each, that is a very real >4 cpm value.

If you are looking to "throw away" your unused miles, please keep me in mind. Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by fti
I keep hearing that, but I have yet to find anyone who will either gift me Skymiles or trade them with me for next to 0. So I really don't believe you. Or are you saying that you are one of those "more and more people" who place such a value on them and would love to donate them to me??

I rarely consider any miles as "throw-away miles" so that is why it is perplexing. The only time I consider miles "throw-away miles" is when the balance is so small I can't even get a newspaper or magazine subscription with them. I love the 13-week Sunday newspaper subscription (I would otherwise pay $26) that costs me 600 miles. Since I would buy the paper at $2 each, that is a very real >4 cpm value.

If you are looking to "throw away" your unused miles, please keep me in mind. Thanks
If you define "next to 0" as <0.2 cents per mile, then those people DO exist. Just take a look at the Delta auctions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.