Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 23, 13, 11:36 am   #16
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ/BUF
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarc View Post
I paid for my SC membership...but I would've totally used miles if I had the chance (I didn't have enough as I was new to DL). Clubs are too crowded to justify paying actual cash IMO. Coming from UA, 40K miles is on par with what I would've spent as a 1K (when UA allowed membership dues via miles). So, I say go for it, especially if you know you won't make Diamond.

FWIW, I only use my miles for flying friends and family - if I'm flying, I'm earning. My $0.02.
One would assume that the "crowdiness" factor of the clubs should have no effect on valuation of the miles, but I guess everyone is different.
rusrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 13, 3:20 pm   #17
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: LAS
Programs: DL-DM
Posts: 85
Before I reached DM I did the monthly plan......made more sense in my mind.......was worth it
trvlguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 13, 4:07 pm   #18
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MN
Programs: DL GM, lots of other programs
Posts: 11,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusrocket View Post
One would assume that the "crowdiness" factor of the clubs should have no effect on valuation of the miles, but I guess everyone is different.
Agreed. Some comments in this thread don't seem to make much sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agarc View Post
I paid for my SC membership...but I would've totally used miles if I had the chance (I didn't have enough as I was new to DL). Clubs are too crowded to justify paying actual cash IMO...
FWIW, I only use my miles for flying friends and family - if I'm flying, I'm earning. My $0.02.
Whether clubs are crowded or not shouldn't make a difference as to how you pay for them. Only using miles to fly friends and family also shouldn't make a difference. You only have a limited number of miles. So if you use miles for a club membership, that means you will have fewer miles to use for friends and family, so someone would (theoretically) have to end up paying cash for their flight since you used miles for the club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
I've purchased my SC membership with miles for three years in a row. I rarely use award tickets for myself (I need to be earning miles), only for family, and can afford to spend the miles more easily than dollars. I usually have at least 200,000 SkyMiles in my account, so it doesn't make a huge dent in my supply.
If one is cash-strapped I can see the reasoning to use miles vs. cash. But as stated above, just because one uses miles for family doesn't mean using miles for a club membership is a good deal. Also, using 40K miles for membership is 20% of your "supply." Whether that is a "huge dent" or not is subjective. Some people would say it is in fact. Obviously you say it isn't.
__________________
My flight memory since 2006: http://my.flightmemory.com/friend1979
fti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 13, 5:14 pm   #19
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ/BUF
Posts: 297
I just checked out finished delta auctions. I wish I could buy miles of the winning bidders. 103K miles for a $100 gift card, are you kidding me?
rusrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 13, 10:55 am   #20
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: TLH
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 36
ThePointsGuy has a recent post debating this question - http://thepointsguy.com/2013/02/payi...iles-worth-it/
thetoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 13, 1:03 pm   #21
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashville
Programs: DL DM AA PLAT HH Diamond SPG Plat Marriott SLVR Hertz PC
Posts: 5,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusrocket View Post
You are effectively selling your miles for 0.75 cents per mile. So it all depends on how much you value the skypesos. I personally value skypesos at around 1.2 cents so if I were in your situation I would pay 300$. If you take a look at the delta auctions, you will see that some people value skypesos at close to 0. Everyone is different. Good luck.
I would think more and more people value them at 0.
troyintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 13, 1:17 pm   #22
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz Pres Club, Global Entry; Former UA 1K/GS loyalist
Posts: 305
I do value having access to the club. But, given how crowded and non-exclusive (read: quiet, peaceful) they are, I would prefer to use throw-away miles to get membership rather than paying actual cash. Offer a better product, and I'll have no qualms paying cash for it.

If I'm flying, I'm banking miles and reaching status...never spending miles for my own flights.

Not sure why this is perplexing to some.
YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusrocket View Post
One would assume that the "crowdiness" factor of the clubs should have no effect on valuation of the miles, but I guess everyone is different.
agarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 13, 2:29 pm   #23
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ/BUF
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarc View Post
I do value having access to the club. But, given how crowded and non-exclusive (read: quiet, peaceful) they are, I would prefer to use throw-away miles to get membership rather than paying actual cash. Offer a better product, and I'll have no qualms paying cash for it.
Hopefully, the gods of logic and common sense will have mercy on your soul. Amen.
rusrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 13, 7:06 pm   #24
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: TLH
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarc View Post
If I'm flying, I'm banking miles and reaching status...never spending miles for my own flights.
I agree, I use SM for flights for my kids when they are traveling with us. I don't use them for shopping or really anything other than flights because the redemption value is even lower than it is for flights. Since I already have Amex Reserve for MQMs I don't need it for SkyClub access, but I find a lot of value in the SkyClub only because the general gate environment is even worse than the SkyClub environment.

If you don't need the points for your own travel (because you want to retain or increase status) then SkyClub seems like a decent way to reduce your point balance IMHO.
thetoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 13, 7:32 pm   #25
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MN
Programs: DL GM, lots of other programs
Posts: 11,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyintn View Post
I would think more and more people value them at 0.
I keep hearing that, but I have yet to find anyone who will either gift me Skymiles or trade them with me for next to 0. So I really don't believe you. Or are you saying that you are one of those "more and more people" who place such a value on them and would love to donate them to me??

Quote:
Originally Posted by agarc View Post
I would prefer to use throw-away miles to get membership rather than paying actual cash...Not sure why this is perplexing to some.
I rarely consider any miles as "throw-away miles" so that is why it is perplexing. The only time I consider miles "throw-away miles" is when the balance is so small I can't even get a newspaper or magazine subscription with them. I love the 13-week Sunday newspaper subscription (I would otherwise pay $26) that costs me 600 miles. Since I would buy the paper at $2 each, that is a very real >4 cpm value.

If you are looking to "throw away" your unused miles, please keep me in mind. Thanks
__________________
My flight memory since 2006: http://my.flightmemory.com/friend1979
fti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 13, 8:13 pm   #26
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ/BUF
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by fti View Post
I keep hearing that, but I have yet to find anyone who will either gift me Skymiles or trade them with me for next to 0. So I really don't believe you. Or are you saying that you are one of those "more and more people" who place such a value on them and would love to donate them to me??



I rarely consider any miles as "throw-away miles" so that is why it is perplexing. The only time I consider miles "throw-away miles" is when the balance is so small I can't even get a newspaper or magazine subscription with them. I love the 13-week Sunday newspaper subscription (I would otherwise pay $26) that costs me 600 miles. Since I would buy the paper at $2 each, that is a very real >4 cpm value.

If you are looking to "throw away" your unused miles, please keep me in mind. Thanks
If you define "next to 0" as <0.2 cents per mile, then those people DO exist. Just take a look at the Delta auctions.
rusrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 1:28 pm.