Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Why do people always feel the need to game the system! Follow the rules or just fly another airline.
Amen!
Old May 28, 2015, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by lamprey
Took them 4 or 5 days after faxing in the info, but they made the change to my home address on my profile (but I was never notified).

Does anyone know: will Delta only email the credentials to the primary address on the account? I'm in a country that has no real postal service to speak of, and so it would be advantageous to have it sent to a U.S. address to pick up when I'm back.
Mine are sent to my home address in the UK.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by lamprey
Took them 4 or 5 days after faxing in the info, but they made the change to my home address on my profile (but I was never notified).

Does anyone know: will Delta only email the credentials to the primary address on the account? I'm in a country that has no real postal service to speak of, and so it would be advantageous to have it sent to a U.S. address to pick up when I'm back.
It is sent to your address on file, in my case Canada.
Old May 29, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Amen!
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Why do people always feel the need to game the system! Follow the rules or just fly another airline.
Because big corporations are always screwing consumers (Delta, Comcast, AT&T, JP Morgan Chase etc. etc.). More power to those who try to game the system!

For me, I switched to AA/US and haven't looked back. Just burning all my miles with DL.

Last edited by ridepow; May 29, 2015 at 3:38 pm
Old May 29, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
XXXXX
Old May 29, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ridepow
For me, I switched to AA/US and haven't looked back. Just burning all my miles with DL.
I respect that a lot more than the dishonesty and gaming...in fact...that is the way it is SUPPOSED to work - vote with your wallet.
Old May 29, 2015, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I respect that a lot more than the dishonesty and gaming...in fact...that is the way it is SUPPOSED to work - vote with your wallet.
Dishonesty and gaming is the DL SkyMiles management way. Don't you respect DL management for getting the customers and customer behavior that is reflective of DL SkyMiles management?

This may be a case of "getting the customers they deserve".

I am curious when DL will be found negligent for mishandling customer information it demands for customers' international address changes.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)

I don't buy into the big bad corporation line. That being said, I have family in Canada and could easily "prove" residence there but I don't need to at this point. if my travel and spending changes I would easily consider doing it to take as much advantage of the program as I can and would not be phased in the least by the snoot's calling me a cheater
Old May 30, 2015, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I don't buy into the big bad corporation line. That being said, I have family in Canada and could easily "prove" residence there but I don't need to at this point.
I have a feeling that if most of your itineraries began and ended in BOS or JFK, and few of them were to Canada, Delta would be very suspicious of your Canadian residency.
Old May 30, 2015, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Dovster
I have a feeling that if most of your itineraries began and ended in BOS or JFK, and few of them were to Canada, Delta would be very suspicious of your Canadian residency.
not true-it's super easy to hidden city in JFK using an itinerary starting in Canada.
(at least TPAC I have seen this actually cheaper to the extent that one SEA based DM has driven up there and began TPAC flights out of YVR to save 300-400 USD.)
Similarly for TATL
YTO-LON
LON-NYC-YTO
(assuming there were any cost savings.)
Old May 30, 2015, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Lots of frequent US travelers who are resident outside of the U.S. have many/most/all of their (post-expatriation) domestic US itineraries beginning and ending where they or their employer/clients are domiciled in the U.S.
Old May 30, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
And what if we use DL just for domestic US service, but our flights abroad between countries in Asia or countries in Europe are credited to other carriers or LCCs?

Obviously if I decide to fly a Korean Air flight from ICN - HKG and credit to KE FF as opposed to DL because DL sees KE as a low partner (barely any miles accrual), it shouldn't be anyone's problem of my choice.
Old May 31, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by KissFlyGoodbye
And what if we use DL just for domestic US service, but our flights abroad between countries in Asia or countries in Europe are credited to other carriers or LCCs?
I think Delta would get suspicious and want additional verification of where you live. (This is assuming that you made the address change after MQDs were announced. Before then, not only was there no advantage in having a foreign address it was actually a disadvantage as you received no targeted promos. I doubt that Delta would bother verifying the foreign address of anyone who has had it in his records for years.)
Old May 31, 2015, 8:31 am
Suspended

I think Delta would get suspicious and want additional verification of where you live. (This is assuming that you made the address change after MQDs were announced. Before then, not only was there no advantage in having a foreign address it was actually a disadvantage as you received no targeted promos. I doubt that Delta would bother verifying the foreign address of anyone who has had it in his records for years.)
Before the era of MQDs, Delta customers had some advantages if they used a non-US address of some sort (instead of a US address) for the loyalty program account: easier elite status acquisition/retention; some additional elite status-related benefits.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
PMNW was more generous in lounge access for those with addresses in Japan.

At some point, residents of Hawaii were given upgrade certs that were valid on any fare to the mainland IIRC, but I've never heard of anyone having to verify that he/she was a genuine resident of Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.