Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Thanks for your clear and informative post ^
After stumbling unto, it helped push me in the right direction after procrastinating and being indecisive as in what to do with the new SM requirements.
As an expat I might have more options as to whether give in to DL's MQD-era demands and wish someone could advise me accordingly.

Did your address change eventually get duly processed ?
I had no issues switching to my UK address. Of course, if they want documentation (lease, etc.), I can provide it, but it has not been requested.
Old May 23, 2013, 3:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
This is strange as CDG is a ST hub and they tend to have higher prices at hubs.
Not always the case.

It was actually a Premium Economy sale that they had in April. "A" fares (Delta W), no changes allowed, no refunds, either fly or lose it.
Old May 23, 2013, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Originally Posted by rwoman
I had no issues switching to my UK address. Of course, if they want documentation (lease, etc.), I can provide it, but it has not been requested.
Thanks for responding ^
I've been hoping to ask you for advise and shall do so soon by PM - if you don't mind.
But first want to explore my other options in the US a bit more (and possibly procrastinate again )

Last edited by Travelomania; May 23, 2013 at 5:07 pm
Old May 23, 2013, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Here is my confusion: I am a civilian employee of the military, so I have an APO address (nominally, a U.S. address), but I live in town (and have for 4+ years and more to come) with a Korean address. In order to save the very expensive Korean postage, I have my mail come to my APO. ALL my flights originate in Korea. So, for MQD, am I U.S.-based or not? I assume that DL considers me U.S.-based (by the way, many of the DoD contract city pairs - mandatory use for employees - out of Korea are on DL) since I would have to meet the MQD amounts next year.
Old May 26, 2013, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by relangford
Here is my confusion: I am a civilian employee of the military, so I have an APO address (nominally, a U.S. address), but I live in town (and have for 4+ years and more to come) with a Korean address. In order to save the very expensive Korean postage, I have my mail come to my APO. ALL my flights originate in Korea. So, for MQD, am I U.S.-based or not? I assume that DL considers me U.S.-based (by the way, many of the DoD contract city pairs - mandatory use for employees - out of Korea are on DL) since I would have to meet the MQD amounts next year.
If I lived more in S Korea than America I would think you have a strong case of not being subject to these requirements.
Old May 27, 2013, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by relangford
I am in the same boat...but in Europe.

As the APO shows as a US-billing address, I assume they'd count it as US-based. I switched to my UK (home) address and everything for dl.com now defaults the the UK site. As I do live in the UK, I'm not dodging around anything.

I do not think the originating city of your flights impacts residency...it's going to come down to what DL has as your residence address. GSA City Pairs should have no bearing on this.

Ultimately, DL is going to look at where you tell them you live - if you say it's APO, AP, then it'll show up as US, if its Korea, then it's a non-US address.
Old May 27, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I am in the same boat...but in Europe.

As the APO shows as a US-billing address, I assume they'd count it as US-based. I switched to my UK (home) address and everything for dl.com now defaults the the UK site. As I do live in the UK, I'm not dodging around anything.

I do not think the originating city of your flights impacts residency...it's going to come down to what DL has as your residence address. GSA City Pairs should have no bearing on this.

Ultimately, DL is going to look at where you tell them you live - if you say it's APO, AP, then it'll show up as US, if its Korea, then it's a non-US address.
I have a SM account with it based in SFO (due to promos some years ago) but I have never bought a DL ticket based out of there. The address still hasn't changed.
(I hardly fly DL and when I do it will likely be out of/to YVR/SEA)
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:08 am

Today I tried to change all our addresses (6) on the website to one of my legit overseas residences and voilŕ ... there it was: extra documentation is required.
This is no problem whatsoever, but I hope they will not require more than the requested paperwork and ask for every person involved i.e. a notarized statement from the local authorities

Last edited by Travelomania; Jun 2, 2013 at 9:15 am
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
(I hardly fly DL and when I do it will likely be out of/to YVR/SEA)
Same here, I like to fly KL out of/to YVR, or the DL non-stop out of PDX to AMS - v.v.

Can anyone confirm if there will be any changes to KL mileage accrual for (foreign) Medallions ?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
I wonder if they will give you as much hassle moving from one foreign country to another. I may be relocating within the next few years, but not back to the US.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HongKonger
I wonder if they will give you as much hassle moving from one foreign country to another. I may be relocating within the next few years, but not back to the US.
A PR card or valid visa should be fine if we're thinking about the same place.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
Just wanted to update this post stating that my address request still has not been completed.

I contacted @DeltaAssist about it, and they say they needed to forward the request to "a different department" because my ID card is written in Japanese.

Apparently Delta's having a hard time finding a qualified bilingual who can take 30 seconds to simply crosscheck a Japan address written in both Kanji and the alphabet...

Could you please give us an update of the process ?
Since your last post is from March 6th.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by Travelomania
Could you please give us an update of the process ?
Since your last post is from March 6th.
I was asked to resubmit the request since Delta says they lost it. So I did, and they did it within a day.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
I was asked to resubmit the request since Delta says they lost it. So I did, and they did it within a day.
Thanks ^
Just out of curiosity, did they also leave you with the option on the "profile" site to make your old (US) address the "Primary" ?
Old May 26, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium
Took them 4 or 5 days after faxing in the info, but they made the change to my home address on my profile (but I was never notified).

Does anyone know: will Delta only email the credentials to the primary address on the account? I'm in a country that has no real postal service to speak of, and so it would be advantageous to have it sent to a U.S. address to pick up when I'm back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.