Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK T4 Phase II

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by monitor
As a former PanAm flyer, I absolutely do not mind T3 but it does not make me nostalgic enough to go to JFK for a domestic flight unless the fare difference more than makes up for the $35 extra on the taximeter vis-a-vis LGA.
I remember Pan Am as well as TWA and many other airlines which are not around anymore. The TWA headhouse remains behind the JetBlue terminal.

In this case, the condition of T3 is so bad and the space is needed for the taxiway. If there is anything worthwhile preserving, they can move it to another location but alas that doesn't seem likely.

Last edited by adamj023; Feb 11, 2013 at 8:16 pm
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Thanks to DLCorpGalNYC for all the posts in this thread! You don't seem to be on the tight leash your ATL colleagues are on when it comes to providing information and follow-up ^^
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Hey perhaps we could have a DO there
+1 to an adieu DO.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
An Adieu to T3 DO is something that I would try to attend. ^
Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by monitor
An Adieu to T3 DO is something that I would try to attend. ^
T3 A-DO?

I am down for a T4 Sky Deck opening DO

DLCorpGalNYC, I hope you'll let us know when an exact date is known for the T4 Sky Deck, as I'd love to be there on Day 1.

Last edited by amolkold; Feb 11, 2013 at 10:01 pm
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: DL DM
+1 more ^

This is a great idea.

Count me among those who have loved to hate T3 over the years and I think it would be fantastic to get an opportunity to say goodbye.

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Hey perhaps we could have a DO there
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:52 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by GaryD
It seems to me that they're planning to keep T2 indefinitely:
That's what I thought. The only problem is the big distance between T4 and T2. AirTrain not that convenient, and out of secure area. I guess shuttle buses in the secure area will proliferate...Not ideal.

Count me among those who have loved to hate T3 over the years and I think it would be fantastic to get an opportunity to say goodbye.
Etched in my brain is walking down that narrow curved sidewalk in the outside weather wheeling luggage, squeezing past the other pedestrian traffic. Aaargh. Anyone have a photo of the original, super high-tech (at the time) Pan Am Terminal when it opened?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:07 am

I get people complaining about the buses, but I don't think they're such a big deal.

The big problem is that currently the buses don't run very frequently. I think they're officially every 15 minutes, which means if someone just misses a bus, it'll take them close to 30 minutes to get to another terminal. That can be the difference between making and missing a flight.

If the buses run near-continuously, then I think they're a perfectly adequate solution for the medium-term (I'm guessing "phase III" of a T4 expansion will start around 2015 and run through 2017-2018, with DL out of the T2 by the end of the decade latest).

- As a previous poster suggested, a near-continuous bus loop isn't so different than taking the Plane Train in Atlanta.

- At Heathrow, people take buses to connect between terminals.

- At Philadelphia, US Airways has run a fairly smooth bus operation between its mainline terminals (A/B/C) and its regional terminal (F) for well over a decade.

- At Newark, buses are used for connections between United's Terminal C and its regional flights at Terminal A. Same at San Francisco, where some flights now go out of Terminal A.

Fact is, buses are a fact of life in this business. They're perfectly fine if run well.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:36 am

If your a bit down today and want a good laugh, read this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...#axzz2KhC19O9W
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:56 am
[INACTIVE] Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Sorry all, I was out of the office most of yesterday afternoon and I missed a lot of chatter. Let me try to address some of the most commonly asked questions.

- T3 will literally close overnight when T4 opens. I don't have an exact date yet, but it will be late May prior to Memorial Day weekend. When we have an exact date, I will let you know.
- Once closed, T3 will be abated and then torn down. That space will be used for aircraft parking.
- Additionally, after T3 is closed and as we remove it, it will allow for a much more direct route for the T2-T4 shuttle bus. This will drastically cut down the time you spend on the bus as we won't have to deal with aircraft movement, etc.
- The Sky Deck will open the same day as the rest of T4 - so late May.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:07 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Thanks again DLCorpGalNYC.

I frequently take the Airtain to JFK, as coming from the city the traffic on the highways are becoming more unreliable than ever. I usually go to T2, but if the weather is bad, I'll take the covered walk to T3 (although I believe this was damaged). Now that T3 is being torn down, is there any plan to have, at a minimum, some sort of covered walkway from the T2 Airtrain station to T2? Having to take the Airtrain to T4 to avoid the weather, then clear security there and get on a bus to T2, seems quite a bit of a hassle.

I could understand not doing anything if DL plans on vacating T2 soon, but that does not appear to be the case.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:12 am
[INACTIVE] Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Thanks again DLCorpGalNYC.

I frequently take the Airtain to JFK, as coming from the city the traffic on the highways are becoming more unreliable than ever. I usually go to T2, but if the weather is bad, I'll take the covered walk to T3 (although I believe this was damaged). Now that T3 is being torn down, is there any plan to have, at a minimum, some sort of covered walkway from the T2 Airtrain station to T2? Having to take the Airtrain to T4 to avoid the weather, then clear security there and get on a bus to T2, seems quite a bit of a hassle.

I could understand not doing anything if DL plans on vacating T2 soon, but that does not appear to be the case.
This is a great question. I'm going to have to ask someone at PANYNJ as they manage all of the Airtrain stations, walkways etc. Let me see if I can dig up an answer and get back to you.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:16 am

Is there a schematic drawing of what the T4/T2 configuration will look like this coming summer? Or a map drawing? Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
...Having to take the Airtrain to T4 to avoid the weather, then clear security there and get on a bus to T2, seems quite a bit of a hassle....
More than a hassle, a major inconvenience.

For many of us, the only place to chack-in to DL at JFK has been T2. T3 has long been out of that equation.

However, the hope is that with having control over so many of the gates at that side of T4, DL will be able to do something about easing access for Pre-check and premium pax.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by menton1
Is there a schematic drawing of what the T4/T2 configuration will look like this coming summer? Or a map drawing? Thanks.
Picture this:

http://filecache.drivetheweb.com/mr4...ior-future.jpg

But without the extension to T4 Concourse A (on the right) and the walkway between T2 and T4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.