Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 29, 13, 12:04 pm   #1

Programs: DL PM
50,000 mile bonus for Platinum members - was it a one-time thing?

Hey all,

I did a search for this but couldn't find anything specific - last year I got a note from Delta saying that they were going to award me 50,000 miles (non-MQMs), just for being a Platinum customer. Anyone know if they plan to do this again in 2013?

My hunch is that this was somehow tied to the 50,000 mile bonus they were giving to Platinum Amex customers, and to make it fair, they simply awarded them to existing Platinum customers. Can anyone confirm?

On a related note, the Delta Skymiles agent on the phone yesterday told me candidly that Skymiles Amex customers were ruining complimentary upgrades for non-Amex frequent flyers like me because they were taking up all the upgrade spots and "unfairly" getting Platinum status due to MQM bonuses associated with the card (hence the introduction of MQDs). I told him I did notice that most of last year I suddenly dropped to 12th or 15th on the upgrade lists all the time (as opposed to 2nd or 3rd), which seemed very unusual to me. Anyone else have this experience?
stumbleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 13, 12:12 pm   #2

Programs: Delta KM/1.2MM/GM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott LTP
Don't remember getting a bonus 50k last year.

Also, the mqd thought doesn't make much sense as you can buy your way around mqd with spend on Amex. Not sure what the agent was thinking.
baccarat0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 13, 12:17 pm   #3

Programs: DL PM, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
I didn't get a 50K bonus last year either.
HongKonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 13, 12:44 pm   #4

Programs: DL DM
I want 50k bonus.
skchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 13, 1:10 pm   #5

Programs: DL PM
Ok, I looked back and realized that I had dropped to Gold in 2011, but hit Platinum again for 2012, so maybe it had something to do with that? Here's what the email said when I got it in January of 2012:
___

Because you participated in our Exclusive Rewards promotion in 2011—and earned Platinum Medallion status for 2012, you've been awarded 50,000 bonus miles.
___

Anyone recognize this?
stumbleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 13, 1:14 pm   #6

Programs: DL PM, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumbleman View Post
Ok, I looked back and realized that I had dropped to Gold in 2011, but hit Platinum again for 2012, so maybe it had something to do with that? Here's what the email said when I got it in January of 2012:
___

Because you participated in our Exclusive Rewards promotion in 2011—and earned Platinum Medallion status for 2012, you've been awarded 50,000 bonus miles.
___

Anyone recognize this?
Nope... wish I did!
HongKonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 13, 2:08 pm   #7

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumbleman View Post
___

___

Anyone recognize this?
I'm thinking you went from gold to platinum with this:

http://thepointsguy.com/2011/03/delt...0-bonus-miles/

David
Old Jan 29, 13, 4:18 pm   #8

Programs: DL Silver, AA LT Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
There was a promotion awarding bonus miles for hitting various elite tiers. You clearly got this promo (and then forgot!).

They also had a nifty "fly 2 international flights and get Platinum" which I happily took advantage of...
Old Jan 29, 13, 5:44 pm   #9

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
Quote:
Originally Posted by skchin View Post
I want 50k bonus.
WBBB
Teamstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 13, 6:03 pm   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM Kryptonium Ham Sandwich GAMER, UA Plat, US, PC Plat, IHG Amb., SPG Gold, HH Gold, Nat'l Exec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamstone View Post
WBBB
Well... it's a bit harder when it's really "want free bonus, buy free bonus" now isn't it...