Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta and new DL.com Profiles A Lot About You

Old Jun 12, 2013, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Schmoops
Figured a highly collaborative effort like this needs a wikipost. As items and codes are confirmed, let's centralize them in one place rather than thumb through hundreds of discussion posts.

How to pull your information
Log into your SkyMiles account at Delta.com, then visit this link: https://www.delta.com/databroker/bcdata.action

What the items indicate
v01: Closest airport to home address (encoded using key 1)
v02: Country of residence
v03:
v04: Preferred departure airport/city (encoded using key 2)
v05: Language
v06: discSpndngAmt, in thousands
v07: Skymiles status level
v08: State/province (encoded using key 2)
v09: Pay with Miles eligible
v10: sunTrstInd
v11: prefDestCity
v12: MQS
v13: Hotel loyalty programs stored in DL.com profile (encoded using key 2, see post #829)
v14:
v15: Income, in thousands
v16: Current age + 99
v17: 1/2/3 MM Status
v18: Home value, in thousands
v19:
v20: SkyClub member
v21: SkyMiles account number
v22: Experian Mosaic segment (encoded using keys 1 and 3, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post20913445) Description here and Segment Details here
v23: Saved search destination airports (encoded using key 1)
v24: SkyClub renewal date (coded using key 3)
v25: Saved payment information (encoded using key 1) AND SPG status (encoded using key 1, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post20913463)
v26: Gender/prefix (1=male/Mr, 2=female/Ms/Mrs, 3=Dr/other) (to be confirmed)
v27:
v28: SkyMiles account number with 3 leading zeros (called "CustID" in previous data)
v29: Logged in (SM account)
v30: Customer Value Score (Questionable, and scale is unknown)
v31: RDM balance
v32: Dream trips from DL.com profile (encoded using key 2)
v33: MQM balance
v34: Activities & Interests from DL.com profile
v35:
v36:
v37:
v38:
v39: ?? Duplicate for Language ??
v40: ?? Duplicate for Country of Residence ??

Encoding

Three different coding keys are used for variables 01, 04, 08, 13, 22, 23, 24, 25, and 32. For full mappings, click here: Keys 1, 2, and 3
Print Wikipost

Delta and new DL.com Profiles A Lot About You

Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz Plat
I got to see mine, but there is no way I would publish the info here on a public and archived ("forever") forum. Especially the codes that are not clear what they mean. It could be your felony arrest record for all you know.

This is a very informative episode for most of us who never get to look into the data that is being stored and tracked and analyzed by the 1000's of entities we come in contact with. Next time anyone says "Big Data" to you, you now know what they mean.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by james318
Yet everything that is broken about the Delta website remains unfixed.
That is funny that they fixed this deal in 12 hours...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:44 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Delta, Hyatt, YMCA
Originally Posted by Ti22
Just call the DM line, I'm sure they will tell you!
Hey, I did call and they said Welcome back Mr., thank you for being a Diamond, thank you very much for your business and loyalty...I feel good, time
to call Hilton, this time I will have recorder ready...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I like to date gals coded BB... Not in a sir mix a lot kinda way....
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
That is funny that they fixed this deal in 12 hours...
Errr - exactly. Just shows what can be done when one puts one's mind to it. IT can be fixed quickly when it is desired or viewed as a high priority.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
Originally Posted by james318
Yet everything that is broken about the Delta website remains unfixed.
Legal dept said to remove data. The website will remain .......ized.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles Platinum Medallion
Thanks again, BallardFlyer, for the find and the fun!

Yet another example of DL IT's managerial prowess that it took about 15-ish hours to discover this thread and the treasure URL BallardFlyer posted. Maybe this proves DL IT does not read FT ;-)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:11 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles KM (Charter Member)
I suppose we of course all knew this was happening, but at the same time I think it's normal to find this a little unsettling. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain. It would be funny some day if we find out a code ment something like "Man, married with family but has latent homosexual tendicies" - effect - market discount airfare in and out of SFO.

Remember the mini scandal when someone who was logged in was getting different pricing then a "guest"? This is how that happens. Let's say you are a delta score "0" aka "gamer status" and you are searching a flight. I also know that you own your own home worth 400k in a zip code where medium avg home value is 250k. I know your income and age. I therefore know that you can afford to pay more but you are gamer and low value on a revenue per mile basis so, no HOOUS coupon for you. Also, since I know you can pay more, I'm not going to offer you discounts I might offer to another demographic.

In the real world this is much more personal and is a two way street. Example, I currently reside in the Philippines. I am a white, American male. When I go to the fish market I typically see the same fish market sales stall owners. They of course profile me immediately. I will get quoted higher prices and they will be less willing to negotiate down. I know this of course. I am a high value customer to them. I can, and am willing, to pay more for my fish than the standard fish market customer. Why would I be ok with this? Well I'm treated with great respect. I always get the best pick of the litter so to speak. I can make requests like "hey tomorrow could you find me more of those prawns you had last week that are f'n gigantic?" they will of course do this because they know I'm willing to pay just a little bit more than the next guy. In my case, maybe it's 25 pesos or 50 pesos more for that 150 peso fish. So maybe .50 cents to a dollar more my cost to get exactly what I want, when I want it. Fair trade.

This is the 21century way to try to do that on a mass scale - but it loses it's personal touch and has a creepy feel.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
For those who think this is somehow a Delta specific IT fail, it's an artifact of the design of pretty much every modern web site: Your web browser acts like a client and authenticates to a server as you (thus the part where you had to login to see this data), then your web browser customizes your browsing experience according to the data pulled from the server. (See, eg, AJAX.)

GMail, for example, uses this exact model (assuming you use the web interface), only the data it's pulling is your email instead of your home value. Of course, Google has access to lots of data about you, too, that's how they target ads to you. You just haven't discovered the same "breach" (that isn't really a breach) yet.

If you want to get upset at Delta over this, then you need to get upset with almost every other major corporation in the US at the same time. (If you want to get upset at Delta over your CustValSeg being 0, that's a different issue.)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by CJKatl
It appears from the document linked on an earlier post that DL has been using these scores and codes and that DL employees are well aware of these. I still find it interesting that nobody from DL has anonymously posted what everything means and how it is used.
You assume too much, darling. DL.com is marketing/IT. To think they talk to Customer Service / CorpComm / Operations is asking too much... Have you spent time in a large company?

Originally Posted by doubleA
Also, this should be interesting from DL's perception of FT... If we're all valued at 0/1/2/3... FT is a noisy channel of low spenders. But, it might have also borne the fact that there's not just noisy low spenders here... Some of us care about our PM or DM status-- sure... but we might also be their most valuable customers learning from each other and from DL on FT.
+1.

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Vuelos, good thing about FT is that there are people who post who actually know about which they are posting. It's appreciated.
@:-)

Originally Posted by CJKatl
It could be here that "0" simply means DL doesn't have enough data to rate the customer.
It could but do you really think that's the case? I've got friends who are in the 20's...

Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
DLCORP Guy is here coincidence? Please explain what this is to us?
DL listens while we talk, you know that.

Originally Posted by PRWeezer
I agree. I'm fascinated by the topic because I work in marketing/PR where audience segmentation is a key to success.

I wonder how fluid the scores are? For example, after 3/1 when my status is gone, would other metrics change too? Makes sense that they would.
NRSA scum? Is that a level?

Originally Posted by amolkold
My sister on the other hand has a different address, and has a much different profile, despite both of us flying the same # of miles on DL last year.
Someone with good insight!

Originally Posted by DLCorpGuy
Like many companies, Delta uses demographic and other data to help provide a personalized experience for our customers, improve how we communicate with them and design offers customized to their interests. While the data displayed was only available to the specific user, we sincerely regret that this code displayed and the confusion it may have caused for our customers. We worked to resolve the issue promptly upon discovering it.
Thanks Paul! Hope your loyal Social Media Ambassadors were helpful in this.

Originally Posted by Ti22
Excuse me? Obviously, SOMEBODY other than myself views and uses this information on a regular basis. Maybe not casual visitors to a discussion forum but people in your organization pass around and view my personal info as if it were candy.
Welcome to the 21st century.

Originally Posted by BogusRogus
I suppose we of course all knew this was happening, but at the same time I think it's normal to find this a little unsettling.

This is the 21century way to try to do that on a mass scale - but it loses it's personal touch and has a creepy feel.
You sir/ma'am must work in marketing. Big Data is the wave of today not yesterday.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
So it looks like one can no longer see this. I wish I had seen this thread sooner. Isn't it amazing how quickly DL IT can "fix" something when they want to.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hilton C, Marriott Pt, Delta Pt
On Orbitz, Mac Users Steered to Pricier Hotels

Remember this story?
What if DL were to use this info to steer you to higher priced tickets or award tickets when cheaper tickets are still available?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by bennos
For those who think this is somehow a Delta specific IT fail, it's an artifact of the design of pretty much every modern web site: Your web browser acts like a client and authenticates to a server as you (thus the part where you had to login to see this data), then your web browser customizes your browsing experience according to the data pulled from the server. (See, eg, AJAX.)

GMail, for example, uses this exact model (assuming you use the web interface), only the data it's pulling is your email instead of your home value. Of course, Google has access to lots of data about you, too, that's how they target ads to you. You just haven't discovered the same "breach" (that isn't really a breach) yet.

If you want to get upset at Delta over this, then you need to get upset with almost every other major corporation in the US at the same time. (If you want to get upset at Delta over your CustValSeg being 0, that's a different issue.)
Exactly. If you really don't want anyone snooping in your business, you might as well just get off the internet entirely.

And I'd expect that Delta's customer evaluation model is quite tame compared to Amazon, for example. (How do you think they produce a "recommended for you" list?)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, QF, VA, AA, UA, US, SQ, EK, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Fairmont
Data mining and profiling is a fact of life. I know that Amazon profiles me and recommends me stuff that it thinks that I may be interested. I don't object to profiling and data mining so long as it is accurate. I monitor my credit report and keep an eye on my FICO scores to get the best rates from financial institutions. That said, I'm sad that DL has closed the gates. I would love to see how my DL scores fluctuate over time.

I am still intrigued about my custValSeg and mindsetSeg scores. I am a recently minted PM. From 1996-2011, I was hovering back and forth between FO and no status because 80% of my flights were LUT leisure trips. From 2011-now, I have a new job that requires regular TPAC flights, hence the jump from FO to GM and now PM. In 2012, TPAC flights accounted for 80% of my flights. All my TPAC flights are LUT per employer policy to fly on the cheapest fares.

I don't have any Amex cards, so Amex isn't sharing data with DL for sure. I earn my miles and status the old-fashioned way, i.e., actual flying.

My custValSeg = 1 and my mindsetSeg= BH (which I think means bargain hunter, if it reflects my traveling patterns on budget fares). Does custvalSeg=1 refer to LUT fares being the predominant fares that I fly on?

I would be interested to see how DL plans to use this data.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyertalk77
On Orbitz, Mac Users Steered to Pricier Hotels

Remember this story?
What if DL were to use this info to steer you to higher priced tickets or award tickets when cheaper tickets are still available?
Much more difficult to do with airfares, as there are plenty of third party sites like ITA and EF that give you an independent view of availability and pricing. In fact, because both AA and DL have recently made stupid changes to their websites that make searching for tickets much more cumbersome, my first stop now is always ITA. Once I see specifically what I want to book then I go to the airline's site. If I think I'm getting the runaround on price there I can just clear my delta.com cookies and search while not logged in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.