Checking a shipping box as luggage

Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:15 am
Moderator: National Car
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Checking a shipping box as luggage

Anyone do this before? I am helping someone do some moving and thought I might use my free checked bags to bring back a couple shipping boxes. I assume the same weight/measurement rules apply as regular luggage. All I could find in a search was a 6 year old thread about this in the AA subforum so any current insight would be much appreciated!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
I bring cases of wine from CA in shipping boxes all the time as checked baggage. Never an issue.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Just did this a few months ago - moved about 120 lb of stuff using two shipping boxes for free.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There's no such thing as a shipping box vs. a suitcase in the tariff. It's a piece of luggage meeting size and weight limits. DL could care less. Just make sure you're not packing things which are excluded from coverage (valuables, electronics).

Note that given the low cost of UPS / Fedex Ground options, even if the checked luggage is "free" the added schlepping may or may not be worth it.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:44 am

I see people check boxes all the time on TPAC flights. I'd double box it and make sure it's really well padded on the inside since it's going to get tossed around like luggage.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC there are a couple international routes/destinations that do not accept boxes as checked luggage.

The OP should think about how he or she will handle the box in the airport. Rent a cart from baggage claim to vehicle? Boxes without handles can be ackward to carry, especially when one has other luggage.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Anyone do this before? I am helping someone do some moving and thought I might use my free checked bags to bring back a couple shipping boxes. I assume the same weight/measurement rules apply as regular luggage. All I could find in a search was a 6 year old thread about this in the AA subforum so any current insight would be much appreciated!

Yes, not a huge box but I've done it a few times with no issue. Only difference is I had to pick it up at the counter instead of on the regular luggage carousel in Atlanta.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:56 am
Original Poster

This would be for light, non-valuable items such as bedding/clothing/etc on a domestic route. While FedEx isn't prohibitively expensive, free is better! Not worried about handling once I get to the destination. Thanks all for the input!
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: DL EOS...
How does tsa screening work with a shipping box? How do you keep it closed without tape? And what happens if they need to open it up and it's taped? Do they tape it back up?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by Ti22
How does tsa screening work with a shipping box? How do you keep it closed without tape? And what happens if they need to open it up and it's taped? Do they tape it back up?
Just be sure to clearly mark it with words and phrases that would make the TSA less likely to try and open it. I'm thinking "flammable" or "combustable"...
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ti22
This was the sort of issue I was hoping to flag. Anyone have experience with that?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
See it all the time on TPAC flights.

The best boxes to get are Balikbayan boxes, used by Filipinos to take gifts home. Google for availability of them in you area. They are double walled, 20x20x20 cube. Tape it up securely and tie with with rope or luggage strap for easy handling.

I have had TSA open them and they tried to retape them. If it is tied with rope or luggage strap they should tie it back up. YMMV
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by timmy83
Just be sure to clearly mark it with words and phrases that would make the TSA less likely to try and open it. I'm thinking "flammable" or "combustable"...
With those two words the box will not be accepted by the airline.

All my experience with TSA opening the taped up boxes had items which look suspicious in X-ray image. We plan out packing accordingly to minimize boxes being opened up.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, AA, UA, WN, E+ Gold
Have taped up in corrugated and checked at counter, and due to the nature of the enclosed items (which are constructed of various metals) TSA has opened them. After inspection, TSA slips their "additional screening" card inside and then re-tapes with the white TSA tape. I pick them up on the other end, sometimes on the carousel or sometimes at the special baggage pickup. I don't do this often but have done it at times in the past as a delivery to a customer i'm scheduled to meet with.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
I checked a box when I moved from the UK to Nebraska last summer. I had a 24-hour layover in ATL (intentionally), so the box was claimed and then turned over to TSA the next day. I had a luggage wrapping service at LHR wrap the box (and my overstuffed suitcase) in the heavy-duty plastic wrap. I left box wrapped in plastic, and TSA at ATL did not decide to molest it. It even came out on the usual baggage belt for Customs. I did unwrap the suitcase to avoid issues with the TSA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.